Can I run MBAM from E Drive?

Hi,

I have been a very happy mbam customer for several years. I currently have the paid version on my computer and will keep it no matter what, but I have a problem. This computer has a very small ssd on which the os is located, and it has a much larger hdd. Well, I am running out of room on the ssd. I plan to get a larger ssd installed, but in the meantime, I am trying to move everything I can over to the hdd. I had already moved all of my libraries, and as many files as possible over, but now I am trying to move apps and programs over that aren't part of the os and don't have to run from Cdrive.

So, can I run MBAM from a drive other than C, and if so, can I simply uninstall it, install it on my Edrive, and then activate with the license that I saved and that is good until October of this year? Is there anything I need to know before I attempt this if it is possible?

I ask because a few of the programs and software that I tried to move no longer have a custom installation option in the latest versions. MS office is one. Another is mozilla firefox latest version, but I found a ff portable version that I was able to install on E.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi:

Until a staff member has a chance to reply....

So, can I run MBAM from a drive other than C, and if so, can I simply uninstall it, install it on my Edrive, and then activate with the license that I saved and that is good until October of this year? Is there anything I need to know before I attempt this if it is possible?

First, MBAM is designed to be installed on and run from the OS boot drive in order to do its job correctly.  So, I do not think it will work properly if you install it to another drive that is different from the OS boot drive.

AdvancedSetup or another staff member will likely be able to further expand on this, but I don't think installing it to another drive is advisable (and it may not be supported).

Second -- just curious -- consumer licenses for MBAM are either LIFETIME (no expiration date) or subscription-based, but with expiration not coming up until sometime early next year (2015) (because the subscription-based licenses for version 2 have only been sold since early 2014). 

So, I am a curious as to what type of MBAM license you might have that is "good until October of this year"?

Thanks,

A license that hasn't been activated yet.

I don't think so, John. :)

AFAIK, a license that has been purchased -- but not activated -- has no (imminent) expiration date.

In other words, the clock on a subscription license doesn't start until the first activation on the first of the 3 PCs.

And a lifetime license is good (essentially) indefinitely, whether or not it has been activated.

As there were no consumer subscription licenses available yet in October 2013, I don't know how a home user could have a CONSUMER license for one year that would expire in October 2014?

Either that, or I misunderstood what the OP described. :)

Cheers,

I have been using the paid version of MBAM for years on my pcs. LOL!  This is my confirmation email. I blacked out my actual license keys. I assure you that my MBAM has been activated on both computers.

Your products Qty. Product name Delivery 2
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO
Home Licenses, 1 License Per PC
Download
Your Malwarebytes license key(s) is below.

ID: *****-*****
Key: ****-****-****-****

ID: ****-*****
Key: ****-****-****-****

Please ensure you keep this license information in a safe place for future reference.
DownloadFile size: 10 MB.Your download link is valid until 10/28/2014.

Thank you for the response. I was told by an IT person that I could run it from a different drive, but I suspected that wasn't right. I have ordered a larger ssd, so I will just install it, then reinstall MBAM, and activate of course. ;-)

Well, I think I have paid for my lifetime protection a few times over. LOL! Here is my first correspondence with support right before I got the paid version back in 2009. He did say that I only needed to pay for it once, but I overlooked it. Hopefully that extra money I paid in helped MBAM develop an even better product! LOL! Anyway, I have had a paid subscription since 2009 and I have been a member here since then. I guess things must have changed since I was here last.

[Malwarebytes Support] Re: Need help ASAP (ticket #4732)

Tom Mercado
To Me

Mar 6, 2009
## To respond via e-mail, type your response above this line. ##

Your request (#4732) has been updated.

To review the status of the request and add additional comments, follow the link below:
http://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/tickets/4732

You can also add a comment by replying to this email.

Tom Mercado, Mar 06 10:58:

Hello and thank you for choosing Malwarebytes as your security solution, my name is Tom Mercado and I'll be assisting you today.

The free version will not protect against anything trying to run on the system. It will only scan for malware and remove what it finds. To get the RealTime Protection Module a onetime-life time purchase must be made.

The benefit of purchasing the Pro version is scheduled updating and scanning plus the advantage of our RealTime Protection Module. You also get lifetime support and software upgrades regardless of what features we include.

***** *******, Mar 06 09:45:

I was left vulnerable by a very incompetent support staff at ATT for hours that insisted that I stay online with them while they muddled through a very simple fix that should have taken minutes, in spite of the fact that I told them repeatedly that I was getting a constant stream of pop ups that would not close. Consequently, my computer filled up with viruses. I have downloaded and run 7 AV and ASW apps over the last week, yours being the last. I downloaded a free version. I will purchase your product as soon as I strip my hard drive and reload my OS, but in the meantime, is the free version protecting me from more viruses while I back up my data? Please respond ASAP. I have removed everything but your free program.

Hi:

I have been using the paid version of MBAM for years on my pcs.
Please ensure you keep this license information in a safe place for future reference.

DownloadFile size: 10 MB.Your download link is valid until 10/28/2014.

Ah, that makes sense now.  :)
Forget about that download link -- that is just a feature provided by the ecommerce partner, cleverbridge, and associated with your purchase in 2009 of a LIFETIME license.
It's merely a "private" direct link to download the program installer that is attached to your original transaction.
That "private" download link may eventually expire.
However, since you purchased your license for the consumer product in 2009, that license would be LIFETIME, 1-PC license, with NO expiration date.
If you ever need to transfer the license to a new computer or to reinstall MBAM on the same computer, you would download a fresh copy of the program installer from the official download site and would follow the instructions here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Well, I think I have paid for my lifetime protection a few times over. LOL! Here is my first correspondence with support right before I got the paid version back in 2009. He did say that I only needed to pay for it once, but I overlooked it. Hopefully that extra money I paid in helped MBAM develop an even better product! LOL! Anyway, I have had a paid subscription since 2009 and I have been a member here since then. I guess things must have changed since I was here last.
[Malwarebytes Support] Re: Need help ASAP (ticket #4732

"New member" relates merely to the user's post count, not to the length of time that one has been a forum member. :)
(It's a title automatically assigned by the forum software.)

SO, just to recap:

Your license is a lifetime, consumer license for MBAM Premium (formerly called MBAM PRO). 

There is no expiration date for the license.

You can ignore the expiration date for the "private" software download link provided to you in 2009 at the time of purchase.

Your license does not need to be renewed and you don't need to pay again.
However, each license purchased before March 2014 is a lifetime license that can be used on only 1 PC at a time.

As far as your original question:

Pending more information from AdvancedSetup or another staffer, my original reply still applies:  MBAM should be installed on the same drive as the Windows OS.

Cheers,

Thanks a bunch, Dale! The new ssd should be here on Monday, I will get it installed, and then follow your instructions to get my fortress (MBAM and Avast Premier) installed on the os drive. And, Sorry MBAM, but I won't pay another membership fee! I have re purchased a license every year, like a dolt! LOL!

Now, my license in the program itself has a start date of May 2014. I might have paid for another license on that date. What would that mean? Since I still have older keys, should I use those instead of that May 2014 key when I reinstall?

Hi:

I can't really say for sure, as we forum folks would not have access to any sort of licensing information.

Having said that, if you click the "My Account" link in the GUI, the date displayed is the "activation" date.

I always do a clean upgrade of the software, so in my case, it shows the date I installed and activated MBAM 2.x Premium on this computer, using the same lifetime license that I had used on this rig for version 1.x.

I presume that you are likely seeing the same thing -- the date that you installed/upgraded/activated your MBAM to version 2.

There are a number of ways you can try to sort out your multiple licenses.

Some of them depend on whether or not the computer in question previously had a valid, licensed, activated version of MBAM PRO 1.x.

Your best and easiest bet might be to do the following -- assuming you purchased your licenses online via the Malwarebytes online store:

• Contact the e-commerce partner, cleverbridge, and have them look up all of your transactions and license info.
  • OR: use the instructions >>HERE<< to look up the license ID/key from the Windows registry; this will only work if this computer previously had MBAM PRO version 1.x installed and activated before upgrading to version 2, AND if you have not reinstalled Windows since then.
  • If you purchased online from a different vendor (e.g. Newegg), you would need to contact them for the license info.
  • If you purchased a boxed CD, the license ID/key will be in the box (CD sleeve or a card).

Once you obtain the information, I would suggest making a list of which license(s) are activated on which computer(s), and keeping that list in a safe place.

Each lifetime consumer license may be transferred to a different computer (or, in your case, to a new hard drive), but it can only be used on one computer at a time.

So, if you have multiple licenses and multiple computers, it's important to know which license is being used on each system.  That way, your license won't be blacklisted.

Hope this helps,

post-29793-0-36686500-1403822651_thumb.p

Dale,

Thanks! I will certainly follow most of this advice. Unfortunately, I cannot use the windows key search in the registry for my original key because my original key was on a computer that I no longer have. However, I might have bought a new computer within that first year. I can't remember.

I think I should contact cleverbridge right away and ask them to trace my account because that will probably help me discover which key is best. I have mbam on two computers atm, and I think I bought two licenses when I bought my work computer in 2012. But I now have a problem. The license that I currently have on this computer is dated may of this year. I thought that I must have bought yet another license back in may when I saw that, but then I was on my work computer, and got a notification that mbam wanted to update my account. Well, the mbam on that computer updated to a new version and the license is now dated starting today.

What happened with mbam? Is there a document or forum thread that I can read to get me up to speed on these changes? I am not sure what you mean by mbam 1 and 2, and consumer accounts, but the new version looks very different.

Hi, rosebud:

Alas, licensing issues cannot be sorted here at the forum, as we do not have access to any of that information.
My first suggestion would be to contact cleverbridge, as already suggested. :)
They are the folks who would have a record of your transactions and license purchases.

It will then be important for you to write down and safely store the information for future reference -- if MBAM 2.0 is installed new on a computer that did NOT previously have a licensed version of 1.x installed, then it will not be possible to find the license information in the Windows registry (because version 2 does not store the information there).

A couple of other thoughts:

• The "date" of a license or its activation on a particular computer really has little bearing on anything, as long is it was/is a lifetime license purchased before March 2014.  Once a lifetime license, always a lifetime license.  The "activation date" shown in the program GUI is merely a notation of the date that the license was installed/activated on that particular computer.
  • If it is a lifetime license, then the important information is the license ID and key, and on which computer it is in use.
  • MBAM version 1.x is the version of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) software that was released for use prior to March 2014; the last release build was 1.75.  The paid, licensed version was called MBAM PRO (see screen cap).
  • MBAM version 2.x is the new, current, updated version of the program that was released in March 2014 for consumers (MBAM 2.0 for businesses has not yet been released) -- in addition to the new user interface, it contains many new and improved features.  The paid, licensed version is called MBAM Premium (see screen cap).
  • "Consumer" refers to the version of the software. Malwarebytes company now publishes many, different software products, for home users ("Consumer"), for businesses ("Business" and "Enterprise"), and for computer repair technicians ("Technician").  The products for home users are slightly different for home use vs. business products for use in a business setting.  The same is also true for the licensing.  That is why I have specifically mentioned "Consumer" when referring to the licenses you would have -- folks who use the business products are under different licensing arrangements.

As far as all the changes:

This explains the overall update to 2.0: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

And you can click on each of the version links here to see what was changed Release History

Cheers,

post-29793-0-78037800-1403865284_thumb.p

post-29793-0-06706100-1403865301_thumb.p