Need help removing updatepackasc.exe installed by IOBit Uninstaller update.

For the past year, I have used IOBit Uninstaller to make sure that when I uninstall a program, registry entries and files left behind by the program are removed. Apparently an update to the uninstall utility comes bundled with a small program named "updatepackasc.exe" that resides in your temporary files folder. This program does not do anything other than display advertisements. Although the program no longer runs on my computer, each time I delete it and restart my computer, it is redownloaded to my temp folder even though I have uninstalled the IOBit utility. Since this issue apparently only started appearing yesterday, it is not yet in the Malwarebytes database. I have reported this program to Malwarebyte's here. I would appreciate some help completely removing the program. The post that I made reporting the program has an in-depth explanation of what I did as soon as I found out about this.

For those of you that are having this issue and would like to clean up your system, here is what I did.

1.) Uninstall all IOBit products from your computer. (a reasonable step to take)

2.) Check in %ProgramFiles% for a folder named "IOBIt." Even after uninstalling IOBIt Uninstaller, the folder was still there, and inside was the IOBit Updater. If the folder is there, delete it.

3.) Check in %ProgramData% for a folder named "IOBit." If the folder is there, delete it.

4.) Check in %appdata%. You will have to check your "Local", "LocalLow", and "Roaming" folders. Check each folder to see if their is a folder named "IOBit." If there are, delete them.

5.) Open your temporary files folder using %temp%.

6.) Inside you will find a file named "updatepackasc" or "updatepackasc.exe" (or some other similar name). The file's icon is two blue arrows pointing towards each other to form a "loading circle". Delete this file.

Here's a picture of it:

1ead56ae43328fbc032da2b6c2ba1f806361cbe0

7.) Restart your computer, wait a few minutes, then check the %temp% folder. If the file reappears, you are still infected. If the file does not reappear, you should be good.

Please note that the directions that I have given worked for me. I picked up this adware by using IOBit software. I am aware that this program is being shared through other methods and therefore these instructions will not work for everyone. If you use IOBit software, this is mostly likely how you acquired this adware. Feel free to try using my instructions to clean up your system, but understand that you do so at your own risk.

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Very sorry for the delay. We've simply been overrun with requests for help and have not been able to get to everyone requesting help in a timely manner.
Now that we're finally getting our head a bit above water again I've been going back to review old missed requests. If you do still need help please let me know.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!