Malwarebytes 2.x will not update, scan, or stay in file protection mode without crashing

Hello

Was directed by root admin to create a new post here, thank you!

System: Windows 7, 32bit.

Malwarebytes 2.02 can be started and can access the setting menu fine, however; when I click update, or any scan the program crashes. Also when I try to click on "enable file protection, fix Now", it does stay selected after the program crashes. A protection disabled window appears. I also have numerous task bar entries in the task bar of malewarebytes where it looks like the program has started and crashed numerous times over the period of a day.

I have also sucessfully ran chameleon by using the first box from it's help file and it updated and ran successfully with no error or malware reported.

I have run numerous other malware removal programs with nothing of note found, but always removed all on each, (typically tracking cookies, etc.), but after all, same results as above. (Hitman Pro, SuperAntispyware Pro, MWB rootkit, anti exploit, tdsskiller, and rkill)

Inclosed are the requested files.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Camelx

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

okay, been still working on this and wanted to get you an important update.

After again reviewing the FAQs for troubleshooting, I noticed I did NOT try the "create new admin user". I did that, and switched user to the new admin user and ran my existing install of Malwarebytes 2.02. It was able to update and run a "threat scan". It completed with nothing found, fine.

One other thing on the list that I did not do was the procedure to run the "fixdamage.exe" in the malwarebytes plugin directory. I actually ran that while the scan was going on.

After both completed, switched user back to my orginal admin user, the one that was broken for malwarebytes, and ran Malwarebytes first thing. The update worked fine, for the first time ever and the "threat scan" ran perfectly too!!! (no malicious software found btw).

So 1) the create new admin user worked great by allowing malwarebytes to update and run on my computer. (but didn't find a problem, so that didn't fix anything, but did prove that something was for sure wrong with my default admin user) and 2) The "fixdamage.exe" program is what I think fixed my issue, as going back to original user was fixed and malwarebytes was fully functional again and working great.

This case is probably closed now, but can you confirm that fixdamage.exe has something in it to fix the users doing certain things (such as malwarebytes)? Also, I know it's hard to say for sure, but the damaged user - caused by malware or just got corrupted over time by some other process?

Best regards,

camelx

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Very sorry for the delay. We've simply been overrun with requests for help and have not been able to get to everyone requesting help in a timely manner.
Now that we're finally getting our head a bit above water again I've been going back to review old missed requests. If you do still need help please let me know.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!