MBAE Premium Yearly Subscription Manual or Automatic?

spurkza

Just purchased MBAE premium, no orange button as you describe to cancel auto-renewal.  Below is the email I received (with personal details removed).  Please advise.

From: cleverbridge / Malwarebytes Corporation <cs@cleverbridge.com>  
Subject: Reference # ########: Your Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium order
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 22:05:52 +0000
To: <emailaddress>

Dear (name),
Thank you for your order.
Below you will find your cleverbridge reference number. To ensure the most prompt and efficient service, please always refer to your reference number when contacting us.

Your cleverbridge reference number: ########
Payment information
Your credit card (xxxxxxxxxxxxx####) has been successfully authorized. Please note that the charge on your credit card will appear as "CBI*MALWAREBYTES CORP."
Your products
Qty.
Product name
Delivery
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium

1 Year Subscription, 1 License per 3 PCs

Download

Download

File size: 2 MB.

Your download link is valid until 6/27/2015.

Your Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit license key(s) is below.
ID: ****-****
Key: ****-****-****-****
Please ensure you keep this license information in a safe place for future reference.

To activate your product please do the following:

If you do not yet have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit installed, you can download it above.
Open Anti-Exploit (double-click on the orange shield icon on the traybar next to the clock)
Go to the “About” tab and click the “Activate” button to enter your ID and Key.
Important: Please make sure you are COPYING and PASTING the ID and Key directly from the confirmation email into the proper fields. The code is case sensitive and contains letters and numbers that can be easily confused, so make sure you distinguish between the letter "O" and the number "0" if you enter the code manually. Also, be careful when pasting that there is no empty space at the end of either the ID or KEY

You are subscribed to a multiple payment product.
The next payment of $24.95 is due on 6/27/2015.

Your purchase documents
Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to open this PDF file. If this software is not yet installed on your computer, please download a free version here.
6/27/2014
Invoice
Download PDF
Support options
Technical and product-related support
If you have any technical or product-related inquiries, you may contact Malwarebytes Corporation using the following information:
Corporate Support web site: http://www.malwarebytes.org/support

For subscription help with billing, renewals, adding seats or to cancel:

Corporate Sales email: corporate-sales@malwarebytes.org

Payment and order-related support
If you have any payment or order-related inquiries, feel free to contact cleverbridge Customer Support.
Sincerely,
cleverbridge Customer Support

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Appears to be good news.  I emailed <cs@cleverbridge.com> From address above, making it clear want to keep the subscription for the next year I just purchased, but canceling the auto renew.  Less than an hour later, they responded with an automated email that they processed my request.  I will check my credit card statement online in a few days to confirm all is well, that I am charged the $24.95 for the upcoming year.  Not as convenient as the orange button, but am happy this is taken care of timely.

Appears to be good news.  I emailed <cs@cleverbridge.com> From address above, making it clear want to keep the subscription for the next year I just purchased, but canceling the auto renew.  Less than an hour later, they responded with an automated email that they processed my request.  I will check my credit card statement online in a few days to confirm all is well, that I am charged the $24.95 for the upcoming year.  Not as convenient as the orange button, but am happy this is taken care of timely.

Truth be told, an automated email that they "processed the request" is somewhat reassuring, but doesn't provide definitive confirmation.

One won't really know "all is well" for another year, when the time for the auto-renewal passes, without another payment/credit card charge.

Does the email reply to your request confirm that your credit card/payment information for yesterday's transaction has been removed from their system?

Thanks for the details @spurkza. I may have gotten the information from an incorrect confirmation email. I will revise this with the commerce team and will get back to you and update the FAQ if necessary.

Alas, until this is sorted, "I'm not buying it" and I'm not buying the product. :(

Frankly, the optimal process for the sake of customer privacy and choice would be auto-renewal opt-IN.

IOW, a license purchase would be a one-time, non-renewing transaction, and no payment information would be stored by cleverbridge, unless the customer opts-in for automatic renewal.

That's probably too much to ask for, as this entire undertaking seems to be driven by the $, not by customer preference, security or privacy.

If auto-renewal opt-IN is not an option, then we really need auto-renewal opt-OUT at the point-of-sale, OR a lifetime license option for a higher cost.

Thanks very much, Pedro, for continuing to work on this issue.

Here's the email I received (with personal information removed).  Of course, any future unathorized charges, especially a year from now (usually monitor credit card online multiple times a month before end of statement billing cycle), will in good faith try to make an attempt to resolve, or else failing that as a last resort, do a chargeback with my credit card issuer.

From: cleverbridge / Malwarebytes Corporation <cs@cleverbridge.com>  
Subject: Reference # ########: Subscription for Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium canceled
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 23:51:08 +0000
To: <emailaddress>

Dear (name),
Subscription canceled
Your subscription of "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" has been canceled.

Your subscription for "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" started on 6/27/2014. Please follow this link and open the PDF receipt to view your order details.

Support options
Technical and product-related support
If you have any technical or product-related inquiries, you may contact Malwarebytes Corporation using the following information:
Corporate Support web site: http://www.malwarebytes.org/support

For subscription help with billing, renewals, adding seats or to cancel:

Corporate Sales email: corporate-sales@malwarebytes.org

Payment and order-related support
If you have any payment or order-related inquiries, feel free to contact cleverbridge Customer Support.
Sincerely,
cleverbridge Customer Support

I found it annoying with bells on I could not choose at the point of sale to opt out of auto-renewal, from past experience I've ended up renewing software that I no longer use with this method, (usually Cleverbridge) - I buy a fair amount of software & almost did not buy anti-exploit because of the auto opt in - For future reference I will never again buy any software where I cannot at the point of sale opt out of auto-renewal & was surprised Malwarebytes had adopted this practice - This isn't just a rant but how I feel about the auto-renewal process, IMO the reason it's done is obvious - More sales? But one annoyed customer here, I've now got to faff about cancelling my auto renewal something I had forgotten about if I had not seen this thread, that's why the system works so well for the seller, I had forgotten.

I've had to email Cleverbridge asking them to remove the auto-update, Frankly I have better things to do on a Sunday morning than go emailing Cleverbridge, & there is no easy simple way to remove auto-renewal other than jump through hoops, I really hope Malwarebytes give plainly the option to opt in or at least the option to opt out off auto-renewal in future  Regards Paul

Yes, auto-renewal needs to be OPT-IN, not opt-out, at the point of sale.

To be clear, I'm not cynical enough to think that Malwarebytes or cleverbridge would intentionally renew my subscription when such renewal had been cancelled.

Rather, I am concerned about "accidental" renewals a year later, and about the security vulnerability of having cleverbridge retain my payment information.

Thank you,

Received an email advising that my subscription has been cancelled:

'Your subscription of "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" has been canceled.

Your subscription for "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" started on 21/06/2014.'

It can look like I've canceled my first years subscription to though at first glance, though all in all I've spent the best part of an hour finding out how to cancel, contacting Cleverbridge & then saving the cancellation email, though the process should not happened in the first place - Though I will stop complaining about it now.  :P 

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us in the UK the recurring payment is a big deal with legal liabilities that remain even when the card is dead.

I'm trying to stop the recurring payment now but it's very difficult to see how it should be done and I'm waiting for a response from Cleverbridge.

There was certainly no easy option in my order email although a promise is made on the sales web page.

Very disappointed that Malwarebytes has taken this payment path.

Hi:

Hmm, well that sure is inconvenient. :(

I hadn't even considered the legal aspects of this policy, but I see the difficulty with it.

But it echoes the general concerns many of us have with this approach.

I know it is beating the proverbial "dead horse", but I would strongly encourage Malwarebytes to consider changing to any of the following options:

1. Auto-renewal OPT-IN: that makes the most sense for all users. 1 click for those who want it, and NO cancellation hassle or security risk or legal liabilities for those who don't. 
  2. Lifetime licenses, even at a higher price and for a limited time offer.
  3. Boxed, standalone CD product with a 1-year license (or even the industry standard 2-year or 3-year option), but no subscription management or auto-renewal.  This is a very popular option with many security vendors -- many KL "power users" (including myself) have used this option for years.

Thanks for listening,

It's good to see that you're looking at the problem.

Some years ago I had a repeating card insurance taken from a credit card as part of a deal with my Bank. 

Although we never used the protection or notified them of the cards that it was supposed to cover , I suddenly found myself with an unpaid debt. It was unpaid because the card from which it would have been taken was dead but because it was a recurring payment that we'd forgotten about we were still liable.

My Bank sorted it out but it's the reason that I won't get into recurring payments.

Rules may be different in other jurisdictions. 

I think my problem is resolved now although the Cleverbridge wording leaves me unsure as to whether I've paid for a subscription until next year ( as I wanted ) or whether my subscription is cancelled and refunded.

Let's wait and see.

Quote....

Your subscription of "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" has been canceled.

Your subscription for "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" started on 02/07/2014. 

Hello nippa,

I has the same problem when I bought MBAE premium, I cancelled my subscription renewal via the link in the cleverbride email.

I was sent an email with the exact words you quoted.

Quote:

Your subscription of "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" has been cancelled.

Your subscription for "Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium" started on

I found it a little confusing, so I phoned them up to query it,  they confirmed it was just the payment renewal that had been cancelled and not the MBAE subscription, in other words you should still have your full year to run on your software.

I hope this helps.

Regards. :D 

Automatically signs you up for renewal of software, no box to tick at point of sale?

That's a sneaky selling practice that reminds me of a few big software companies I avoid. It's enough to deter me from buying mbae as I dislike the practice.

Frankly, you're not alone.

From everything I've been researching, I have no doubt whatsoever, there is a significant Block of the Internet consumers that not only will not support/deal with a product purchase that requires a "No opt out" commitment to automatic renewal; but still refuse to use Credit Cards on the internet.

I recently attempted a purchase of a Security Software program via Internet with a "Bought" Visa card that obviously  would not be valid for auto-renewal (Visa guarantees the funds these cards are validated for), The purchase was not successful, the process would not accept the Visa Card. Tried for days with the Card.

Makes me wonder (concerned) even more, if in fact the forced Auto Renewal can over ride a "Paid for"  Visa Card because it can't be subject to "Auto Renewal".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and :welcome: :

Hi, i'm concerned about this switch to a paid subscription model. does anyone know what happens to people who paid for a lifetime license?

This particular thread in this particular section of the forum refers to a different product, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE), not to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM).

MBAE is a NEW product, and there never was a lifetime license for it.

So, there is no "switch". :)

As far as your MBAM lifetime consumer license for 1-PC -- there is no change.

Your 1-PC, lifetime consumer license remains the same -- it is still a 1-PC, transferable (to a different computer) license with no expiration date.

Only NEW consumer licenses sold for MBAM 2 since the subscription licenses were introduced in March 2014 need to be renewed.

More details are here: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Thanks,

P.S. The moderator team will likely move this post to the MBAM support area here. No worries. :)