Is there any plans for selling lifetime licenses anytime?

MakkeOnMies

There are 2,767 lifetime licences left for MBAM at the moment.

I think, you (Malwarebytes) should also offer some number of lifetime licences for MBAE.

The reasons for this would be:

1. the product is still in development phase, with a number of bugs, so those persons who buy it now

will encounter some difficulties and, on the other hand, will help in further development of the program

2. the price $24.95 for one year licence is high, comparing to other security product on the market,

some of which offer much wider security spectrum than MBAE (e.g., Online Armor which is a firewall and a HIPS).

MBAE never had a lifetime license in the first place. There is no precedence for doing that now.

All products are in development phase until they reach end of life.  That's a prime reason why version numbers change.  Limiting the revenue which funds operations (including continued product development) ends up causing products and feature sets to become stale and obsolete.  That wouldn't be good for any of us.

Ok, you're right, but there are products which passed successfully numerous independent tests (AV-comparatives, Matousec, etc.)

and/or are under a supervision of independent security research institutes (e.g., Bromium Lab),

and there are absolute beginners too.  There is a difference between those categories, isn't there?

IMHO, it would be reasonable to start with a somewhat smaller price and/or a number of lifetime licences,

and then to increase the price / introduce limited licences or so.

Just wanted to stop by and say that I miss the lifetime subscription option. It''d be great if you provided the option at least for the consumer to either go with a lifetime (with a higher price obviously) or subscription. I am not a fan of the subscription model and therefore will avoid it like the plague. I look forward to buying this product when such an option is available.

And this topic is for MBAE not MBAM.

Do you think I don't know that. So many smart ass responses from people in these forums.

I'm simply letting my wants known to a company that provides a service that I want a service they provide another way. If they choose not to provide it, so be it. I, the  consumer go elsewhere.

You would think your PR would be a little better than this.

Good day.

If you took it as whatever you took it as, then perhaps my wording was not clear enough - however, do note the following:

1. Many people accidentally post in here for MBAM, and post in the MBAM forums about this product, and topics are moved on almost a weekly basis from one forum to the other and / or the posters are advised to post in the correct forum for the correct product support; and
  2. As gonzo noted, kinda hard to miss an option that was never available in the first place.

So, as gonzo noted and as I followed up on, if there has never been a lifetime option for MBAE in the first place, then it would be rather hard to miss it, wouldn't it?

In reading between the lines, I see that you mean that you wished such an option existed for MBAE, and I do agree with that sentiment myself - however, neither I, nor any one else reading these forums, actually knows what you do and do not know with regards to the forum that you posted in, especially when considering the first point I made.

if you were offended, I apologize, it was only meant to make sure that you knew where you were posting - as you pointed out, you did.

Wow, there are some unfriendly mods / posters here, why so? :(

I too would like to know / propose that MBAE is offered, at least for a while, on a lifetime license, in a similar way to MBAM was until it reached v2.

There are lots of reasons why they may wnat to consider doing that, especially for a new product until it gains sufficient traction. Another reason is that a lifetime license could be offered to just home users, for example those who don't feel "right" about not paying anything for using very useful software so they want to pay for their appreciation of the product whilst not being able to afford an ongoing professional license payment.

And yes, I agree that this is the right place to post such a request since this thread is entitled "Is there any plans for selling lifetime licenses anytime?;)

• Staff

Users that don't have the money or don't want to pay a subscription still have 2 options to be protected in real-time from exploits:

1- MBAE Free provides real-time protection for browsers, browser add-ons and Java. This will protect users against Exploit Kits and Drive-by downloads.

2- MBAE Experimental provides real-time protection like MBAE Premium, including custom shields. You can get Premium protection by helping us test the new techniques that are being added to MBAE.

It is for these reasons, plus business reasons since we are still developing, improving, and supporting MBAE, that MBAE Premium will remain in a yearly subscription mode. Again, if you can't afford or don't want to pay for MBAE Premium it's all OK, you still have MBAE Free and MBAE Experimental which provide plenty of protection against exploits.

It is for these reasons, plus business reasons since we are still developing, improving, and supporting MBAE, that MBAE Premium will remain in a yearly subscription mode.

I don't wish to beat a dead horse.

However, while I understand the "business" reasons for the decision, I still think it would be good "P.R./marketing" decision to offer a limited number of lifetime licenses, especially with the NEW, unstable product (which still needs quite a lot of polishing).

Such a limited-time promotional offer need not drive the company to the poor house.

Other companies use this model.

One of my main productivity apps (Mailwasher Pro by Firetrust) moved to subscription licensing quite a while ago.

However, the vendor still periodically offers "lifetime licenses" as an effective marketing tool.

Home users should not be relegated to running "experimental", unstable, security software on their production boxes in order to qualify for a lifetime license.

Unless or until a user-friendly and reliable means of opting out of auto-renewal becomes available, the subscription license is not at all enticing.

For me, it's the cumbersome or non-existent opt-out from auto-renewal, not the subscription cost, that is the deal breaker.

I do hope that the company will reconsider this position.

Just my personal opinion, as a loyal home user of other Malwarebytes software products, :)

@ daledoc1

You make some interesting and compelling points.

I have been beta testing many security softwares for 9 years or so.  Unexpectedly, I received what amounts to a lifetime license for contribution to testing.

LOL I should live so long!  ...post-2134-0-99334400-1402868759_thumb.gi

Users that don't have the money or don't want to pay a subscription still have 2 options to be protected in real-time from exploits:

1- MBAE Free provides real-time protection for browsers, browser add-ons and Java. This will protect users against Exploit Kits and Drive-by downloads.

2- MBAE Experimental provides real-time protection like MBAE Premium, including custom shields. You can get Premium protection by helping us test the new techniques that are being added to MBAE.

It is for these reasons, plus business reasons since we are still developing, improving, and supporting MBAE, that MBAE Premium will remain in a yearly subscription mode. Again, if you can't afford or don't want to pay for MBAE Premium it's all OK, you still have MBAE Free and MBAE Experimental which provide plenty of protection against exploits.

While I disagree with your decision to not offer a more expensive lifetime license, thank you for showing me to MBAE Experimental and I look forward to helping you develop this software. I understand that a lifetime license can be a loss in money over time, you have to admit though that your pricing for the lifetime license for MBAM was the problem itself, not the fact that it was lifetime. I bought several of my MBAM licenses for $10 a piece. That is ridiculous. When your customer feels like they just robbed you, then your pricing is messed up. FYI that is how I felt. However, I did spread the word to friends who are less tech savvy than I. I believe if you offered a more reasonable price, $40-60 for 1 lifetime license to 1 computer that you would grab another part of the market like myself who does not subscribe to your subscription based model. 

• Staff

When comparing MBAM and MBAE please also keep in mind that while MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection, MBAE Free does.

So even though MBAE does not have a lifetime license, MBAE Free provides very good protection already against exploit kits and drive-by downloads for free.

When comparing MBAM and MBAE please also keep in mind that while MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection, MBAE Free does.

So even though MBAE does not have a lifetime license, MBAE Free provides very good protection already against exploit kits and drive-by downloads for free.

:huh:  huh..... Hope you weren't responding to me. If you were  :huh:  

I would love to see lifetime licenses for Anti-Exploit. I know that there are the free option which I'm using, but lifetime licenses are so cool, they give us the feeling that we have an excellent product for our whole life, at an affordable price in the long term:D

• 2 months later...

I bought Lifetime licenses for MBAM Pro over a year ago after using MBAM free for quite a while.  I added another MBAM Pro Lifetime license for another PC I have in a remote location this January.

I recently suffered a catastrophic crash to one of my PCs and in the process of rebuilding it, had to re-install MBAM.

My complaint:  I keep getting email offers from MBAM to buy "package deals" for MBAM and MBAE and, since MBAM runs quietly without my intervention, I forget that my license is Lifetime, and thankfully keep a paper file of my purchases handy to reference.  Furthermore, I noticed just recently that these offers are annual subscriptions... not Lifetime anymore.  I think some customers are going to get scammed by the pricing policy change, and so, to avoid me being a luckless victim with advancing age... :lol:  ..., I chose to unsubscribe to MBAM newsletters, etc. If I were to sign up for one of those enticing offers, I would be paying for a subscription for a product I already have a Lifetime license for.  Gotcha?!!

I took the offer to install MBAE Beta a while back, but I will not buy a subscription based software product... I have been burned way too many times.  Too easy for a large price jump after one gets dependent, which is really what this is all about.  So... bottom line: I will do without MBAE and just run MBAM.

• 1 year later...

It's just good business practice to offer a lifetime license along with yearly subscriptions, if not for nothing else so consumers have a choice.

Personally, as good as it is I wouldn't pay $24 for it year after year after year when there are comparable products that offer lifetime licenses, so I keep using the free version.

It's just good business practice to offer a lifetime license along with yearly subscriptions, if not for nothing else so consumers have a choice.

Personally, as good as it is I wouldn't pay $24 for it year after year after year when there are comparable products that offer lifetime licenses, so I keep using the free version.

Until at least Microsoft EMET becomes compatible with Windows 10, which shouldn't be too much longer, then Windows 10 users will have a premium Anti-Exploit package comparable with MBAE for the free. THEN Malwarebytes might change it's licensing structure and strategy.