New user needs help, Malwarebytes stops working/crashes when updating

Hi im new on here and i think i have an infected PC, iv'e probably had malware on it for a long time and i didnt even realize it was on here. I just recently discovered and learned about malware and what it is and iv'e probably been infected for about 2 or 3 years. Can someone please help me removing it?

I downloaded Malwarebytes and installed it then it ran normally then i i noticed it said at the top "a scan has never been run of your system" and it also said to update (which i think is odd because i just downloaded it), so i clicked on that and it started to run then right after a message popped up said "Malwarebytes has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." So i then decided to go online and see if other people had the same problem i have, and i found that quiet alot of people do have the same problem.

So i was browsing through some posts on this forum and it said you can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Chameleon to try and start Malwarebytes, so i did and it worked, it opened it and started to attempt the update but it stopped working again right after. I also learned that it could be a virus i have on my computer that preventing it from working, So when it stopped working Chameleon said it was still updating so i thought maybe it was stuck because on Malwarebytes Anti Malware it said the same thing as before "Malwarebytes has stopped working, a problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." so i closed it then on Chameleon it said:

failed to start the update,

killing known malicious processes, please wait...

mbam-killer timeout set to 1800 seconds

mbam-killer is scanning, press c to cancel

then it started doing a scan, then i eventually pressed C and canceled it (because i dont know what it was doing). then after i tried again and again then it randomly worked, Chameleon successfully opened Malwarebytes Anti Malware and it started doing a scan (i dont know if it was updated successfully though, i dont think so) it preformed a Threat Scan and it found over 200 detected objects, that i then quarantined. After that it seemed everything was working properly and everything was good. (that was yesterday)

Today i turned on my computer and tried to open Malwarebytes and it wouldnt open at all, not even with Chameleon so i browsed the internet again for an answer to my problems, wound up back on this forum reading peoples posts. i found this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148358#entry828721

seems like a similar problem i have, so i followed the steps that Firefox posted, i downloaded MBAM Clean Removal 2x, and then followed through with those steps from this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146017 (METHOD 2, FREE version is what i went with) it deleted MBAM then i restarted my computer and it was gone, so it worked. Then i downloaded the latest version again like it says to (thats what i have installed now) i try to update it again and it doesnt work, it keeps crashing. Im wondering also from before those 200+ detected objects that i quarantined, what happend to them? since i deleted the entire program their not there now. It still wont let me scan or update though.

Can someone help? am i doing something wrong? Is a virus/malware preventing me from using MBAM? if so how can i remove it entirely? If anybody can help that would be great, thank you!

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that you're running 2 different antivirus programs. You can only run one antivirus program on the computer at a time.

Please choose one and fully uninstall the other one.

Norton 360

Avast

Then the logs also show that the computer has at least some minor infections.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

The logs indicate that you're running 2 different antivirus programs. You can only run one antivirus program on the computer at a time.

Please choose one and fully uninstall the other one.

Norton 360

Avast

Then the logs also show that the computer has at least some minor infections.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

My norton 360 came with my computer when i bought it a couple years ago, it has expired and instead of renewing it (i think you have buy it again, im not sure i have the disc though) i downloaded avast because its free. My norton doesnt even do anything it just pops up with a message when i start my computer saying to update it or upgrade it. Is that a problem or no? What type of minor infections do i have? can you tell me what type they are and what are they doing/did? how do i get rid of them completely? Can you suggest how i got these infections? thank you, and also thank you for telling me this...

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all the Norton products from your computer. You can use Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.

After you run the Norton Removal Tool and restart the computer, download and reinstall the Norton product from your Norton Management portal. If you need help accessing Norton Management, read I want more help with Norton Management.

Norton Removal Tool works only on Windows. For Mac products, read Uninstalling your Norton product for Mac.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you have pcAnywhere or WinFax, uninstall it using Add or Remove Programs before running the Norton Removal Tool. Also, if you use ACT! or WinFax, back up those databases and make sure that you have the installation CDs to reinstall the product.

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool.

Save the file to the Windows desktop.

2. On the Windows desktop, double-click the Norton Removal Tool icon.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Restart your computer.

After the computer restarts, follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall your Norton product.

Hi, @GuyNeedHelp:

Until AdvancedSetup returns....

The logs show at least some adware/junkware and other items.
Additional scans will be needed to completely diagnose and resolve your issues and to remove the infections.
That sort of work cannot be performed in this particular section of the forum.

So, we suggest that you please follow the advice provided earlier by AdvancedSetup:

As you have already run FRST, you just need to start a NEW, SEPARATE topic (with both of those logs) over in the malware removal section >>HERE<<.  A trained malware helper will assist you with looking into your issues and with getting MBAM installed and running.

Thanks,