MY MB Anti-Malware License Lifespan?

Hi all,

I recently became aware of the fact that I have forgotten what kind of terms are in affect for my licensed version of Malwarebytes Anti-malware. The word "Premium" is in parenthesis in the header of my MBAM user panel and I have version 2.0.2.1012.

I can't find any info in my records that implies I have a "leased" version but then, I can't find anything that contradicts this possibility. 

Does anyone know how I could confirm that status?

Thanks, Rich

Hi:

If you originally purchased a consumer, 1-PC, lifetime license for MBAM 1.x, that license was automatically migrated to an identical, 1-PC, lifetime license for 2.x.

If you purchased a NEW consumer license for 2.0 after it was released a few months ago, then it will be a 3-PC subscription license that will need to be renewed annually.

More info here: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

EDIT: Unfortunately, the 2.x GUI under "My Account" does not currently display information about "Lifetime" vs. Subscription" (or an expiration date for the subscription type license).  Such a feature has been requested for a future version.

Hope this helps,

Thank you daledoc1! I had to read that a few times before it sunk in, (I have no idea why I couldn't grasp it right off), and I know that I purchased the disc last year or maybe even sooner. Therefore, I believe have the "lifetime" Premium version.

What brought my attention to this is an email ad I got from MB this morning. The opening paragraph said:

"As a Malwarebytes fan, we're offering you a rare lifetime Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium license. While our very limited supplies last, you can get your best protection against new malware for only $24.95 for life. You’ll never pay another penny again for this license, and it’s updated free"

That's when I suddenly realized I didn't know my status but it also revealed the fact that there isn't a way to check on this within the User Panel or at least in the form of a "Member Status" reference on the website... -OR-, I don't know where to look!

Thanks again, I'm going to send a suggestion about that AFTER I double check on it!

Rich

Hi:

If you purchased your MBAM 1.x PRO in 2013, then your license was migrated automatically to a lifetime license for 2.x PREMIUM.

You should be "good to go".

Only the NEW consumer licenses sold for 2.x are subscription-based and renewable.

You are the 2nd person to post about this in the past day: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=150222

Apparently, an MBAM newsletter containing some marketing information has been distributed recently.

The wording appears to confuse some folks who already have a lifetime license into thinking that they might need to purchase a new one or an upgrade?

I have not yet received the newsletter email myself, and the other person who reported this did not post the actual text of the message.

Moreover, I am just a home user myself.

So, I can't be sure what it does or does not say.

I will pass along your inquiry to the staff -- perhaps for the Marketing Department to take a look.

And it would certainly help if the devs could tweak the "My Account" page in the GUI to display the TYPE of license or expiration date, as appropriate. ;)

In the meantime, rest assured: if you have a lifetime, 1-PC, consumer license that was converted to the same for version 2.0, it will stay that way.

Cheers,

Thanks very much! Please consider this question resolved. I just tried to 'cancel' a support ticket I had sent early this morning but it seems I can't do that, (at least, not until they reply).

I should have thought to use the forum in the first place but that's what happens when I start my computer without having my coffee first.

Rich

No problem.
I know the feeling about caffeine-deficiency. :D

As the help desk is pretty swamped, I presume that your ticket will be automatically closed after a few days.

In addition to the info here: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?, there are also the following resources:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF
And there are many useful KB topics and videos at the helpdesk support page

But, feel free, of course, to post back here any time!

Cheers,

One other thing (for you and for anyone else who might find this topic):

If you purchased your MBAM online from the MBAM store, the license ID/key information was sent to you at that time via email.

If you cannot locate that email and did not record the information, here is how to obtain that info from the e-commerce partner, cleverbridge:  How do I obtain my license key?

There are some other ways to obtain that information, e.g. directly from the Windows registry of your computer, as explained here.

But that will only work if there was a valid, paid license for MBAM version 1.x on the system (version 2.x does not store license info in the registry).

If you purchased online from a different source -- e.g. Newegg -- then they would have likewise sent an email with the info.

If you purchased MBAM PRO or PREMIUM on a CD, the license ID/key will be in the box (either on the CD sleeve or on a card).

The reason I mention all of this is that it is strongly advised that users retain their PRO/PREMIUM license ID/key information in a safe, handy location.

It will be needed if it ever becomes necessary to cleanly reinstall the program on the same system, or to transfer the license to a different computer.

Cheers,