Malicious Website Protection blocks Internet

hi, I've always used the pro version 1.75 and have never encountered problems .. since I did upgrade to version 2.0.2.1012 when I go to activate the Malicious Website Protection can no longer browse the internet (on any browser) over based antivirus windows I have nothing installed that could conflict ... how do I fix?

Hello and :welcome::

Could you please explain in a bit more detail what you mean by "blocks the internet" and "can no longer browse"?

Perhaps you could post the exact error message and/or a screenshot?

(The reason for asking is that MBAM can't really block the internet -- that sounds more like a sign of malware infection).

Let's start here, please:

Thank You,

Just an observation - the browser response you are getting indicates the DNS lookup for the webpage is failing.

It is always possible that MBAM is not the cause of the problem - Are you sure your internet is actually working?

With 25 years as a computer support engineer behind me - I am always slow to blame the obvious - without double checking. 

Are you using other computers or devices successfully on the same router?

Note: just because the router lights show you are connected doesn't prove the DNS lookup is actually working

Unless you are sure the internet is available from the router then I would recommend you power cycle your router

- leave it off for 2 mins and restart - and check again once it has re-established a connection - which could take a few minutes. 

One very nice internet utility I use in these cases is PingPlotter Free - http://www.pingplotter.com/downloads/pngplt_1.exe

It can check the internet connection without using the browser - just enter the web-address and click trace

It can also check using an IP address - which bypasses the DNS lookup - which can prove that only that step is failing.

@ DougCuk:

I, too, am nost convinced that MBAM is the cause of the OP's issue here.

However, collecting the preliminary diagnostic logs is the first step of basic troubleshooting.

We generally move on from there to other tools and diagnostic steps, as needed. :)

@ sevens:

Please let us know if your problem is resolved.

If not, then please do post back with the requested Diagnostic Logs when you are ready.

Thanks,

There is one key statement in the first post that I didn't really address:

"when I activate the Malicious Website Protection" - can no longer browse the internet.

If you disable Malicious Website Protection does everything return to normal?

There is no mention of any MBAM information popups - does MBAM report it is blocked anything? 

If MBAM blocked your DNS IP's it could result in the symptoms you report - but should warn you via a popup.

This could happen if you have a malware DNS hijack, custom DNS settings or are using a blocked proxy server. 

There are several other threads reporting that MBAM v2 is blocking internet access 

Hi Folks, I've got an identical issue to what sevens is having.

Background, just rebuilt my PC due to a hardware upgrade new System Bd  & CPU etc.

Well after installing Windows 7 SP1 64bit running through the 150+ updates and installing McAfee and Malwarebytes I noticed I couldn't get any Websites via IE or Firefox.

After several hours and another two rebuilds I got down the Malicious Website Protection option.

When Enabled I get the issue, when Disabled I can view Websites fine.

On the third build I just installed the core Windows 7 SP1 without any Windows updates or any other apps, then downloaded the latest Malwarebytes and still got the issue.

The DNS theory that been mention is interesting however I was able to ping Websites via a Command window when the Malicious Website option was enabled and no pop up displayed when I tried a Browse to a Website.

I've attached the required Log files (hopefully)  and would welcome any feedback.

Best regards.

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

Hi Folks, I've got an identical issue to what sevens is having.

Background, just rebuilt my PC due to a hardware upgrade new System Bd  & CPU etc.

Well after installing Windows 7 SP1 64bit running through the 150+ updates and installing McAfee and Malwarebytes I noticed I couldn't get any Websites via IE or Firefox.

After several hours and another two rebuilds I got down the Malicious Website Protection option.

When Enabled I get the issue, when Disabled I can view Websites fine.

On the third build I just installed the core Windows 7 SP1 without any Windows updates or any other apps, then downloaded the latest Malwarebytes and still got the issue.

The DNS theory that been mention is interesting however I was able to ping Websites via a Command window when the Malicious Website option was enabled and no pop up displayed when I tried a Browse to a Website.

I've attached the required Log files (hopefully)  and would welcome any feedback.

Best regards.

You might want to try to disable Malicious Website Protection, open your browser copy the URL and have it scanned by one of the online scanners avaialble..  It could be that your Startup page has some malicious code. 

The other thing you could do is disable Malcious Website Protection, open your browser and change your Startup page to this website, close your browser, Enable Malciouse Website protection and reopen your browser.  See if it connects to this website.