Insists on starting with Windows.

Malawarebytes is an excellent complement to my other anti-virus software, but I don't want it running permanently. Yet even though I have the setting Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows unchecked, it insists on running when I reboot my XP PC.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks for the prompt response.

After studying other similar posts I decided to scour my registry for entries about Malawarebytes' (note the apostrophe) and deleted them.

That appears to have fixed the problem.

I think your upgrade installation program should have done this automatically?

--

Hi:

Glad you are fixed up. :)
Actually, the old folders with the apostrophe are from the old version.
2.0 installs to a different directory/file path.
It's not normally an issue.
And the old folders are fine to leave behind.
Editing the registry is not routinely needed  or recommended for most users. :(

A few folks who upgraded in place did end up with the issue you reported.
But the latest version of  the cleanup tool and MBAM 2.0 normally would have taken care of it.

If the original suggestions in my earlier reply had not worked, the next -- recommended -- steps would have been these (posted for the benefit of those who might find this topic via an internet search)

Thank You,

I spoke too soon. At some point during my current session, Malawarebytes has returned. It's sitting in my tray and XP Task Mgr shows mbam.exe is running. Services shows that MBAMService and MBAMScheduler are both Started (Automatic).

But why? Bit of a nuisance really, and didn't happen with1.75 which waited politely for me to run it!

--

Hi:

Have you tried the suggestions mentioned here?

Please see if the suggestions in this pinned topic resolve your issue: MBAM Always Starts with Windows

If that didn't resolve the issue, please proceed with the troubleshooting steps -- during step #1, please be sure to disable MBAM Self-Protection (if it is enabled) before running the removal tool:

Hi:

If the original suggestions in my earlier reply had not worked, the next -- recommended -- steps would have been these (posted for the benefit of those who might find this topic via an internet search)

Thanks!