Scan freezes my PC.

Hello and :welcome::

I understand that your system freezes during pre-scan operations.

Question: Is your hard drive encrypted (BitLocker or other encryption method)????

If it is, please disable Anti-Rootkit (ARK) scanning from the Advanced Settings in the scheduler for the scan task.

If it is not encrypted, please start with the following:

Let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

I uninstalled MBAM using my Add/Remove programme.

I then installed the latest free version which turned into the Premium version when it was installed.

When I ran the full scan, the progress icon started turning for about 2 seconds then stopped.

I waited about 20 seconds and it started turning and the scan was completed without any further problems.

I then tried to scan again and it worked fine ( evn the pre scan bit) , but when I tried to stop the scan I had a dialog box appear headed, "are you sure ?", but with no dialog in the box and my PC froze.

Hi:

Thanks for the update.
You wrote:

I uninstalled MBAM using my Add/Remove programme.

That's actually not the recommended method for cleanly uninstalling the program. :(

I suggest that you please try again, this time carefully following the steps in the links provided here:

If the clean reinstall doesn't resolve the issue, then please move on to the steps requested in step #2 and post back with the logs.

Also: during the install of version 2, the trial of PREMIUM is enabled by default.  During your next reinstall, if you are offered the trial again and wish to stay with the Free version instead, just opt-out of the trial (by removing the checkmark from the box for that option), or click the "End Free Trial" link in the dashboard after it is installed.

Thank You,

IK uninstalled again using the Clean Removal Process and then downloaded ther latest version, inputted my validation/licence details and it became MBAM Premium again.

I tried the scan  and it froze again during the pre-scan procedure, I left it for 5 minutes, but it did not unfreeze.

I will post the logs early in the week as I am quite tied up for the next 48 hours (on duty).

Thanks for the help so far.

Hi:

OK, thanks for the follow-up.

Running those tools will only take a few minutes and the logs will help quite a bit to solve the problem.

Just post back when you are ready. :)

One other thing to try in the interim is setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and your AV.

The screenshot shows an example from my computer to illustrate the steps for adding your AV to MBAM exclusions.

For MBAM, the files to add to the AV's exclusions/whitelist are listed below.

Thanks,

----------------------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products (although it is not quite up-to-date with current versions of the AVs).

post-29793-0-03794800-1402240801_thumb.p

Thanks for your assistance todate, but I have had second thoughts about proceeding any further.

I am reluctant to change settings on my PC, or to fiddle around with unrelated programmes too much, its probable that I may do something wrong and cause further problems.

Looking around it seems as though I am not the only one with problems with the new Premium version, so its MBAM Premium at fault, not my PC.

I will download an alternative anti malware programme like , Emsisoft and check back with Malwarebytes in the future, to see if they have solved their problems.

Each computer is unique.

Although it may seem logical to blame the software, in many cases it's due to problem with the system (hardware (e.g. bad disk sectors) or software problems (e.g. corrupt files or conflicts), malware, etc).

Nearly every one of these cases can be resolved with some routine troubleshooting.

I'm confident that the staff would be able to resolve your issues as well.

But doing so would require at least the basic logs for a starting point.

If you change your mind, please feel free to post back at any time.

In the interim, the mod team may amicably lock this thread, to prevent others from posting in it and creating confusion.

Take care,