Malwarebytes stopped working after upgrade | continued

Hi 

as requested I am starting a new topic

this is a continuation of another topic begun on 24 May 2014

MWBAM stopped working on this system after upgrade. 

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=149287 

Here we go: 

Today I restarted the system and attempted to run MWBAM by clicking on Update Now>>

post-164590-0-22488200-1402068293_thumb.

Almost immediately received two Microsoft Windows popups 

post-164590-0-18488100-1402068351_thumb.post-164590-0-79099900-1402068351_thumb.

Clicked Close Program

So MWBAM did not update and did not scan system

Periodically while logged on, the two Microsoft Windows popups will continue to appear

apparently MWBAM is attempting to run but cannot 

Ran new set Diagnostic Logs.

See Attached 

On 24 May 2014 already tried:

• Uninstalling current version of MBAM and re-installing the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  •  Other suggestions found on this site including 
    > running with "Enable self-protection module" unchecked in Advanced Settings (it has always been unchecked)
    > running with "Scan for rootkits" unchecked in Detection and Protection (it has always been unchecked) 
  • Attempted to run Chameleon #1 - #13 - but  each time the system tried to open MWBAM and update - which it could not do - so 13 failures 
    post-164590-0-35899200-1402070154_thumb.

Thank you for any assistance 

C

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

Hello,

Does your program ( possibly) have self-protection on?    { Settings >> Advanced settings}.

Please let me know.

Sorry I see you say not.

FYI. I will help you getting this resoled. and if and when that Windows offers to search for a solution --- press Cancel button. It will never find such. Waste of time.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I'd like us to try a different manual fix to see if we can overcome the current update-failure-issue.

First, lets shutdown the realtime Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Go to the desktop Taskbar. See the blue-color MBAM icon in the notification area.

Do a Right-click on it with your mouse, and select EXIT.

I've attached a file for Malwarebytes configuration named **netconf.zip**

You will need to save it and then unzip the contents --- you should see net.conf

Please see if replacing the existing net.conf with this one works or not.

It needs to be copied to here

**C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Configuration**

That location is normally hidden in Windows so you will need to be able to see hidden files and folders.

See here if you need instructions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

Before replacing your existing file, please copy it to another location and attach it when you reply.

When you copy the one I have attached, Windows will prompt you that another file with that name already exists - select to replace it.

When you have done the above, you will need to manually start the program to get it going.

Right-click on the desktop icon for MBAM and select Run as Administrator.

Please let me know if this helps to fix the issue.

If that doesn't help, do you have another Windows user administrator account that you can log into and try the update from there?

If you don't have another administrator account, try your normal account and right click the Malwarebytes desktop icon and select Run as Administrator.

Thank you

netconf.zip

the clouds parted, rainbows everywhere and unicorns dancing  ... 

post-164590-0-76778400-1402244287_thumb.

:D

thank you !!! 

Have not actually started the scan ... but am hopeful- 

Now a bit of cleanup... 

1. FYI, this fix worked on the admin account that I have been using all along 

2. As requested ... I attempted to attached the net.conf file that the system was using prior to your download ... perhaps it's user error ... but am not able to attach the file 
    post-164590-0-94713400-1402244876_thumb.
    if you still need/want to see the file - I am happy to try to upload again- but will need some guidance ..

3. As part of the "fix" - I revealed hidden files and folders... should I walk that back to its original state? 
    I am especially concerned about the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files 
    post-164590-0-22062000-1402245099_thumb.

there was quite the kerfuffle about that choice 
    post-164590-0-20576100-1402245155_thumb.

So I'm happily off to start a scan - I'll let you know if there are any additional issues.

Thanks again to all who helped 

Best of luck to the concerned others with similar (though perhaps different) issues - hang in there! 

~c

Hi 

So for yucks and giggles, I restored the checkmark to the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files in the system's Control Panel ... since it is recommended... and was successfully able to Update Now>> from the MWBAM dashboard without any problems - I am leaving this control panel setting checked 

All seems well... 

post-164590-0-97471400-1402246555_thumb.

1. Let me know if you advise restoring the other hidden file options in the control panel to the default setting as well
  2. Again, if you need/want the old net.conf file ... I'll need some direction

Otherwise, I'm a happy camper - thanks again. 

~ c

Yes, you may ( as apparently you did) revert back the settings in Windows Explorer.  Note: in a single home-user environment I dont worry so much about leaving it as it was.   But in any event, returning to default is ok.

So your setup is back to normal.  Congratulations.

I wont need to get your file.  I appreciate the offer.

Delete FRST.exe

mbam-clean.exe

Suggestions:

Take a look inside the program. Start the Anti-Malware. Click on the Settings icon at the top bar up at top.
Then click the **Advanced Settings** button at the left.
Be sure all top 3 lines on that window are check-marked ( selected ).

Now a couple of changes for each of the Update task & the Threat scan task in the Scheduler.
Click on **Automated Scheduling** button.

Locate and click once on **Check for Updates** line and press Edit. Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }

Look at the "starting time" of the task and use some good time when you know that your computer will be on & powered & that Windows would be on at that time.
Look at the line in Schedule Options. UN-check "Show notification after successful update".

In the Frequency and Settings. Select Hourly and I suggest using the Recurrence at 4 hours.
In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

Locate and click once on the Threat Scan line and press Edit.Then press the Advanced button at bottom left.
Slide the window up so you can see all of it. {press the mouse on the very top bar and slide UP }

In the Schedule Options, put a check-mark on the line Terminate program when no threats are found
{when no malwares are detected you want the scheduled task to close}.

In the Frequency and Settings block.
You should have Daily and the recurrence set to 1 day.
now UN-check the line Check for updates before scanning {{that line should be always off otherwise the task may not run at the time set. It maybe run +/- 15 minutes of that period.}

In the Recovery Options put a check-mark on "Recover missed tasks" and select 1 hour
When done, press the OK button.

When completely done, close the window.

A fresh Windows start would be good to do at this point. Use Logoff and Restart Windows.