A new version of MB

Malwarebytes AM 2.0 .1.1004 was recently downloaded to my Win7 without me being asked.

Now when I try to open the MB 2.0 I get a pop-up which reads:

"A new version of Malwarebyte Anti-Malware is ready to be installed.
Install now?     OK    /  Later

2644cp0.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2644cp0.jpg

What is this? Is this an update to the previous MB 2.0 that was just downloaded?

Or is it a "Preview Version" for a paid verson of MB?

Will it ever go away?

Or how can I get rid of it if it is a preview/free version for a paid version? I would just rather stay with this Free version.

Forgot to mention in my previous post (don't see how I could edit it) that I noticed Notifications in the Settings as Enabled. If I clicked on Disable would that get rid of this type of pop-up, if indeed this pop-up is for a preview/ for a paid version?

releases and change log (click version to see changes)  http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/releasehistory/

latest version is 2.0.2

I am sorry, but I do not understand. Is this pop-up relating to a new version of MB? Or is it relating to a TRIAL verison, etc. I do not want to click on it and find out I installed a TRIAL version is this updating my 2.01.1004?

Thank you

Thank you.

#1- I just wanted to know if I should click on the "OK" in the pop-up I posted in my original message (above)?

(Or will it install a Preview version of a pay version? I want to remain with the Free version.)

"A new version of Malwarebyte Anti-Malware is ready to be installed.
Install now?     OK    /  Later"

#2- And when I click on it will that Update AND Overwrite my currect version 2.01.1004 to the newest version 2.02.1012? (It will UPDATE and OVERWRITE my previous version? I don't have to uninstall previous version?)

BTW #3- What does the Notification section do in the General Settings? Mine is marked as "Enabled."

Thank you (I am just trying to learn about this new version!)

Hello -

You covered it all in #2.

The new version can install Over 2.0.1 without need for uninstalling (99.99% of times).

Just click OK and follow the prompts.

Both of my computers updated Over the early version, and there was no need to uninstall anything.

From memory it took about 3 minutes and a few clicks to install the latest version.

Thank You -

Hello -

You covered it all in #2.

The new version can install Over 2.0.1 without need for uninstalling (99.99% of times).

Just click OK and follow the prompts.

Both of my computers updated Over the early version, and there was no need to uninstall anything.

From memory it took about 3 minutes and a few clicks to install the latest version.

Thank You -

Thank you. I just wanted to know if I should click on that "OK" I saw in the pop-up. You answered my question by saying I SHOULD click on the OK. Thank you.

I read somewhere the following which got me confused:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=149897

I don't want the paid version.

BTW: Can you answer my #3 above? Re the Notification box?

Also, usually how long does it take you to a Custom scan of C:? My Win 7 usually takes about 1 hour 45 minutes (without Rootkits checked).

You should leave the Notifications Enabled, this way you will know when new versions are available as well as if something gets detected.

FYI, they are working on the notification alerts part of the program, and in a later release you will have more control about what notifications you want to see. There is no time frame as to when this will be available.

Scan times vary from computer to computer so its would not be accurate to mention how long it takes on mine, as you have no way of know what files I am scanning, nor what my computer specs are.

If yours is taking 1hr 45m then that is not bad at all...

Firefox, on 04 Jun 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:Firefox, on 04 Jun 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

You should leave the Notifications Enabled, this way you will know when new versions are available as well as if something gets detected.

FYI, they are working on the notification alerts part of the program, and in a later release you will have more control about what notifications you want to see. There is no time frame as to when this will be available.

Scan times vary from computer to computer so its would not be accurate to mention how long it takes on mine, as you have no way of know what files I am scanning, nor what my computer specs are.

If yours is taking 1hr 45m then that is not bad at all...

Thank you. I was just wondering if the "Notifications" being checked would mean that I would receive updates to the program automatically. In the 175 version I believe you could say whether you wanted to receive updates to the program automatically -  or not. But I think in this new 2 version, updates to the program are automatic and there is no way for us to say we didn't want automatic updtes. Is that true?

You will be notified that there is a program update, and then you will go through the steps to install the update. So far as far as I know, they are not being installed automatically without you not being notified.

Thank you.

I notice from a previous post that an automatic update was now part of MR 2.0.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=148999

which says

"3. Program updates happen automatically now when the software checks for updates, it checks for program updates as well and you will be notified as such. They are actually working on the notifications part of the program to give users more control of what notifications one wants to receive."

Or am I confusing something? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to explain this as best I can to my grandson.

Hi:

Yes, that is correct.

For the time being, with version 2.0, PROGRAM updates are made available "automatically" with DATABASE updates.

So, yes, you will be notified when there is a PROGRAM update.

(This is a bit different from 1.x, although the developers have said that they do plan to restore the separate control in a future release.)

It's important to accept the program updates if they offered - that way you will have the most stable version.

It's also a good idea to restart (reboot) the computer after the update, even if you aren't prompted to do so.

Your update should keep you on the Free version.

If, for some reason, you do see an option for a trial of MBAM PREMIUM during the installation, just remove the checkmark from the box to opt-out.

And, if some even less likely reason, you were to end up with the PREMIUM trial, you could always revert to the Free version by clicking on the "End Free Trial" link in the dashboard.  That will turn off the PREMIUM trial and convert the program back to Free version.

Hope this helps,

post-29793-0-61034900-1401929572_thumb.j

I am sorry, but I am confused as to the meaning of "For the time being, with version 2.0, PROGRAM updates are made available "automatically" with DATABASE updates.

So, yes, you will be notified when there is a PROGRAM update. (This is a bit different from 1.x, although the developers have said that they do plan to restore the separate control in a future release.)"

What I am trying to find out is if the updates to the Program are made automatically when we check for definition updates. Or, whether we are notified that there is a Program update and we can accept or not accept. You say we will be notified and also that the program update are available automatically.

Sorry for my failure to understand.

Hi:

Yes, in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) version 2.0, the check for PROGRAM updates is "automatic" when the user performs a "check for updates" to get the latest database.

In the Free version, like you have, this happens when you do a manual "check for updates".

That explains why you saw that dialog box for which you posted the picture in your first post.

The developers have tried to make it easier for the user by making the program update checks automatic.

(It was different in version 1.x, because the user could turn off the automatic program updates.  The developers have said that they plan to restore the features later to 2.0 that used to be in version 1.x.  But, to avoid making it more complicated, just forget about that, as you are already running 2.0. Version 1.x is "history".)

The bottom line -- getting back to your original question: YES, we suggest that you DO click the "OK" button to allow the PROGRAM to update from version 2.0.1.1004 to version 2.0.2.1012. :)

Also, NO, this ought NOT to automatically change your program flavor from Free to PREMIUM or TRIAL.  It ought to just update from 2.0.1.1004 Free to 2.0.2.1012 Free.  :)

If that's not what happens, then please just post back and we will help you sort it out. :)

Cheers,