can't update

I've had this problem before.  A box keeps popping up that my database is out of date.  I click on update now and the box just comes back up.  If I open the program and try to update from there it says that it can't find the update server.  Please help.

Hello and :welcome:, jgk1938:

A couple of easy things to check -- first, please be sure your system date/time are correct and that your AV and firewall both give MBAM full permissions.

If those suggestions don't resolve your issue:

Thank You,

Can someone other than Spam Hunters help solve this problem? He writes the same answer to anybody who asks this question and it does not help.

I'm running Windows 8 64-bit and cannot update because it keeps asking to log in as administrator.

If anybody knows the real answer on how to update please let us know.

Hello and welcome, @trusake:

Sorry to hear you are having issues.
Each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".
Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

To address your specific complaint about my forum replies, they are the standard diagnostic troubleshooting steps that the forum Root Admin, AdvancedSetup, uses and they are the very same ones that he has asked all of us to use.  Those steps do resolve most issues for most users.

If confirming  correct system date and time and the clean reinstall do not resolve your issue, then please post the requested DIAGNOSTIC LOGS in a NEW, SEPARATE topic.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

My only thought is that your firewall is blocking MBM. Maybe when you installed the new version, you missed the firewall asking if the program is allowed internet access.

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. (no I will not start a new topic, we're already talking about it)

For anybody having issues download your pro free update to your desktop @:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/update/pro/

and then once downloaded you can right-click and Run as Administrator

This will install the program.

No need to uninstall anything.

Windows 8 has a huge problem with installing programs when not using Run as Administrator.

Thus not letting Malwarebytes installing the program.

Thank you.

My only thought is that your firewall is blocking MBM. Maybe when you installed the new version, you missed the firewall asking if the program is allowed internet access.

That is certainly possible for some of the users.

While mutual exclusions between AV and MBAM are seldom needed these days, it is possible that some 3rd-party firewalls treat the upgrade version as a new program.

If the firewall is not configured to be interactive, it could be silently blocking the updates.

Basic instructions can be found HERE.

Having said that, to reiterate, failure to update or to scan or to otherwise perform properly can have multiple possible causes.

"The same" symptom may be a very different underlying cause -- malware, software conflict, hardware failure, incorrect system date/time, etc.

The reason that we use standardized troubleshooting steps initially is that the steps usually work.

They are the fastest way to get most users back up and running.

If not, then more information will be needed to find and resolve the cause.

Having said ALL of that, @trusake is still respectfully asked to start a new, separate topic.

It's simply too confusing (and unfair to the OP) to try to work with multiple users in one thread.

If @trusake would prefer, the Consumer Help Desk will be happy to work one-on-one via email.

They can be reached via this link: Contact Consumer Support.

@jgk1938:

It appears that your topic has been inadvertently hijacked -- please post back with follow-up for us when you are ready.

Thanks!

Nevermind, I figured it out myself. (no I will not start a new topic, we're already talking about it)

For anybody having issues download your pro free update to your desktop @:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/update/pro/

and then once downloaded you can right-click and Run as Administrator

This will install the program.

No need to uninstall anything.

Windows 8 has a huge problem with installing programs when not using Run as Administrator.

Thus not letting Malwarebytes installing the program.

Thank you.

Yes, MBAM needs to be installed from an Admin account or "Run as Administrator".

That has always been the case, from version 1.x -- it needs full access to the computer and OS to work properly.

Thanks for reporting your follow-up.

Take care,

Yes, @KenW, understood and a good idea.

It is always something that we consider during the troubleshooting.

And I had already mentioned it in my very first reply here. ;)

But let's now please let the OP have a chance to respond.

Thanks very much for your thoughtful and helpful suggestion -- it might hold the solution,

Hi:

Thanks for the logs.

Sorry it's still not working.

Do you also have the FRST.txt log, please?

System date and time are correct?
And you used the guide below to set exclusions in Norton?

If you could please post back with the FRST log, we will need to wait for a member of the staff/dev team to take a look at the logs.

Thanks for your patience,

-----------------------------------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software for your version of Windows:

For 32-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If you are using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Thanks for the log.

Just to be sure I understand, neither MBAM nor Norton is working properly now?

Depending on what the staff sees on your logs, it sure sounds as if there is more going on with this system than we can probably fix here in this area.

It may require the use of tools that are not permitted here in this section.

To exclude the possibility of infection or other damage, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks,