"Your system is not fully protected"

Ever since I "upgraded" to the Pro version in March, 2014, this product randomly refuses to enable the real-time protection. Clicking "fix it" never works. I have to exit, okay the warning about dire things happening, then restart the program and then both modules work again. I just allowed installation of V2.0.2.1012 which locked up my computer. After restarting my computer, I find that right clicking on the icon in the taskbar has no effect, so I double click, get the above message about not being fully protected, but have no way to exit the program that I can tell.

Please tell me how to fix this or give me my money back. I'm tired of this.

Hello and welcome back:

I understand that you tried to upgrade to the current build, but it's not clear if the recommended clean reinstall process was followed.

So, for starters:

Thank You,

Thanks for your prompt response and I know I'm sounding ungrateful and grouchy, but WHAT "recommended clean reinstall"? For the latest build? Or when I foolishly bought the Pro version. Regardless, I ain't no computer whiz so I always follow the recommended everything.

Okay. I'm gonna follow your instructions.

I'm sorry -- I misunderstood that you had "manually" upgraded to the latest build. Upon re-reading your post, it seems that you were automatically updated to it.  I apologize for the misunderstanding. :(

Having said that, yes, please do follow the steps >>HERE<< to CLEANLY reinstall this version (2.0.2.1012) -- it will involve removing the current installation with a removal tool and reinstalling it.

It will only take a few minutes.

Doing so resolves many issues for many users.

Please just take your time and follow the instructions carefully -- it may help to print them out.

Then, please post back and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Okay. "Please uninstall your current version of MBAM...." I just did that. Then the rest of the sentence reads "and reinstall the latest build..." Unfortunately, when I go to the link, I discover that I was supposed to do a bunch of stuff before uninstalling?

OK, please try to slow down a  bit.

The reason we have posted a pinned topic >>HERE<< with detailed instructions is that it is the "best practices" way to resolve many minor issues, such as the one you described.

It appears that you may have skipped ahead and uninstalled without following those steps.

So, please tell us: how did you uninstall MBAM -- from the Windows Control Panel, or using the mbam-clean removal tool, as suggested >>HERE<<?

OK, so now we have a clue where to start again. :)

I respectfully ask that you please take your time and please follow the steps we suggest carefully and exactly.

If you have a question or do not understand something, please stop and ask.

Please do NOT freelance -- CCleaner is not a bad tool, but it is NOT the recommended way to properly uninstall MBAM.

Here is the very same link with the very same recommended steps we provided before: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x.

If you can, please print out the instructions before you proceed.

Then follow the steps one at a time, in the order in which they are written.

Since you have already uninstalled MBAM using a 3rd-party tool, the mbam removal tool (mbam-clean.exe) may cough up an error when you run it -- just "OK" the dialog and REBOOT the computer if it asks to do so.

Please post back after you have completed the steps.

Thanks very much,

Actually, I now see I purchased the Pro version 9/3/13 and it has been regularly refusing to automatically enable the real-time protection since then. Anyway, I'm already not understanding your directions. Will I be able to use the activation key provided in the email from MBAM when I purchased it. Or will I have to muck about in the registry?

Will I be able to use the activation key provided in the email from MBAM when I purchased it.

Yes.

Do you have that email and/or the license ID/key written down on a piece of paper?

IOW, do you have available to you now that license ID and key from the time that you bought it in 9/2013?

Or will I have to muck about in the registry?

NO, please ignore the part about the registry.

That is ONLY for experienced users and ONLY for those who cannot locate their license info in the purchase email or other source.

Thanks

Hi:

And yes, I still have the email with the key. Thanks.

Good.

There will be a license ID and a key -- 2 different sets of alphanumeric characters.

Also, I am running Malwarebyte's Anti-Exploit. Does that matter? Should I disable it?

No, I don't think that's entirely necessary.
But it might not hurt to disable it.
You can re-enable it or even reinstall it later, if need be.

I disabled Anti-Exploit, ran the clean remover, downloaded the latest MBAM version and ran the set up. The result was similar to what happened when I got the notification this morning, something like "there is a new version, download now or later." Note nothing about "don't download at all." What happened was at the end of setup when I clicked on finish, my computer froze. But this time I couldn't shut down via Windows; I had to do a hard reboot. This is TOTAL CRAP.

So now the MBAM icon has reappeared in the tray, I have not entered any purchase ID or Key. The only difference from earlier is that I can right click on the icon and get the usual information. What do you suggest I do now? Oh right, as always, the red triangle with the exclamation mark is showing, but this time both modules have check marks next to them as if they ARE both enabled.

Thank you for the update.

There must be something going on with the system that is preventing the clean reinstall.

EDIT: BTW, you mentioned in one of your earlier replies that the program has never worked properly since you installed it back in 2013?

So, we will need some more info to see what is going on.

Please read the following and post back the requested logs as attachments to your next reply - Diagnostic Logs

(There will be 3 logs -- 2 from FRST and another from mbam-check.)

Thanks,

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that you're running both Internet Explore and Chrome in compatibility mode. Please check the shortcuts and file properties of both programs and remove all compatibility settings and restart the computer. Then check to make sure that they're not listed here in the Registry either after the reboot.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers

You're running an old compromised version of Java. Please go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove and uninstall ALL versions of Java and then run the following.

Please download JavaRa-1.16 and save it to your computer.

• Double click to open the zip file and then select all and choose Copy.
  • Create a new folder on your Desktop named RemoveJava and paste the files into this new folder.
  • Quit all browsers and other running applications.
  • Right-click on JavaRa.exe in RemoveJava folder and choose Run as administrator to start the program.
  • From the drop-down menu, choose English and click on Select.
  • JavaRa will open; click on Remove Older Versions to remove the older versions of Java installed on your computer.
  • Click Yes when prompted. When JavaRa is done, a notice will appear that a logfile has been produced. Click OK.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location and post it in your next reply.

You're also running a version of Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus that Microsoft no longer really supports well on XP and you should be looking at an alternative replacement antivirus product. 

List of well known antivirus products

The computer does show signs of an infection as well so I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you