I Need Help With A Chat Window

Hello,

I am having issues with my Magic Jack being unresponsive after I go to Hibernation. I went to their support website to go to chat with a MJ tech but when I tried to open a chat window it was nonfunctioning. See attached.

Anne

post-147861-0-24854100-1401428161_thumb.

post-147861-0-52376800-1401428172_thumb.

hmmm ...

i am thinking it might be related to the "permissions" in your host list or something along those lines .

(or even java permissions , as much of these types of "help/chat" items run with java)

beyond that , someone else with more experience along these lines could help out .

Hello CWB.

It's nice to hear from you. It very well might be my Host list. I don't have any Java that I know of. Would I have to get in to the Host list and do some editing? Perhaps I do need Java to get that chat window open.

I really need that chat window because I have a couple of questions to ask and there are no phone numbers I can use. If someone can help me to use their chat window, I would be very grateful.

Anne

Update-

I am in the process of trying to get answers at a couple of other forums. I think I ruled out my Hosts file when I did find and there was no entries for Magic Jack. I have redundant files in Hosts Should I? See attachment.

Anne

post-147861-0-62315900-1401752777_thumb.

Hello,

I was at a couple of other websites hunting for a fix of the irksome chat window from hell. Goose eggs! I went back through this thread and reread what CWB said regarding how much of help/chat items run with Java. My machine is Java free. Could that be the problem?

Anne

a (somewhat simple) way to tell would be to load/install java and enable it for the site/service in question .

like it or not , for good or bad , there are times when java is needed .

i tried to run without java on my machines but i had to (re)install it and then be selective about when it it enabled and with what site/use .

some sites are hip to java being a PITA ... they offer the ability to choose between it and another method of "chat/help" .

i have a customer that has no choice but to run java with a booking/scheduling program as the program interfaces with quickbooks , MS office and a couple of medical/insurance programs .

he also has to access his database remotely (four other offices in other towns) in order to receive/transmit scheduling updates and billing information .

so , there he is ... with a security versus functionality dilemma .

you better believe that his machines are screwed down tight .

Hey CWB,

I'm glad I came back here. I will give the old PITA Java a shot. Even Java can't be too bad if you get the latest security updates and all. I have never heard the expression about machines being "screwed down tight". I can only guess but would rather just hear it from you. I will be back to report on success (or not).

Thanks,

Anne

I'm getting awfully tired of seeing that dreaded page can not display message. It was worth a try. I am a bit curious though; is there anything else besides downloading the Java program that I should be doing for that particular website? 

I just did that test because the message I tried to send was in some strange code and I thought it was the Java so I uninstalled it. Strange. Was it a hiccup of sorts with this website?

hmmm ...

"I just did that test because the message I tried to send was in some strange code ..."

not exactly clear on what you mean/meant .

a screen shot would be/have been helpful .

can you post the whole address that you are trying to access ?

I should have done a screen shot but didn't think of it at the time. My message turned in to an extremely long set of symbols and letters. I thought it was the Java so I uninstalled it.  If it happens again I will make a screen shot.

The message I originally tried to send was that Java didn't open the chat window.

I recently used the same chat service for customer support. It did not require Java (which I do not have installed).

From the error message, I can see that an entry in one of your HOSTS files is probably blocking sales.liveperson.net, which is the domain the chat service uses.

You have five HOSTS files, but only the last one is actually working as a HOSTS file. I would recommend deleting the unused HOSTS files, then editing the current (last) HOSTS file to ensure that sales.liveperson.net is not blocked. Then flush the DNS cache, reboot, and see if you can connect.

(Flush DNS cache: Start-> Run-> Cmd.exe, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes, click Enter)

Hello South_Park.

I looked at all of the text files for sales.liveperson.net and did not find any entries. I also tried to flush the DNS cache and got an interesting message. See attached.

Anne

post-147861-0-41609300-1402189168_thumb.

Some additional information:

I've confirmed that MVPs HOSTS file blocks several liveperson.net and .com domains, as does the EasyPrivacy TPL for IE. You'll probably need to temporarily disable both the HOSTS file and any Tracking Protection List you have in IE for the chat box to work properly.

Personally, I stopped using the MVPs HOSTS file because of too many false positives. I had no trouble using the liveperson.net chat with Firefox with AdBlock Plus and EasyList + Easy Privacy. (The Easy lists work differently in Firefox than the TPL's for IE because of better whitelisting in Firefox/ABP).

click on the windows icon on the lower left corner of the desktop .

in the search box type in "services" (no quotes) .

(there should be stuff happening as you type in the request)

there will/should be a couple of small "meshed gears" and the word "services" showing ... click on it .

a list of services will open ...

scroll down to "DNS CLIENT" and double click on it .

@ message #17-

How do I go about disabling MVP HOSTS and how do I find any Tracking Protection List if I had any? I want some kind of program that does all of the banner and popup protection that I get from MVP HOSTS file. Is there a comparable program for IE 11?

Ane 

The easiest way to disable your hosts file is to rename it to something else and reboot the machine.

Second easiest way is to move the file (not copy, but move) from the location to another location and reboot your machine.

If you have not made use of a tracking protection list then I wouldn't be too worried about it.

For pure advertising blocking, there is AdblockPlus.

Another good one is Ghostery.  I use it on all my browsers because of the level of detail I can use it to block - not only advertising, but widgets, analytics, beacons, and even cookies.

I'm sure there are others, but the following two are Firefox specific, b/c that is the browser I use the most (and have for a very very long time) and thus I am much more familiar with them.  Something like either of them for IE would be a godsend for IE, but I haven' really seen much like either of them for IE.

In Firefox there are a few addons that work exceptionally well.  Along with Ghostery, there is NoScript is the grand-daddy of all the ones that help block advertising at its source, by blocking JavaScript (not the same as JAVA); then there is Request Policy, a good addon in that you can control what the web pages you are viewing display from other websites and URLs.

There are plenty of other security apps out there, like Web of Trust, Norton Secure Web (or whatever it's called) etc.

No,w a question as an aside: why are you trying to block all advertising since you have a good fast connection?

right click on the file you want to rename .

there will be a drop-down menu .

select "rename ..." .

do as such (a simple thing such as putting the word "not" right in front of the name , as in "nothosts" .

this makes it easy to change back if need be .

Well, Hello there Wile E Coyote, Suuuper Genius, :D I always wanted him to catch the eternally annoying Road Runner, :lol:

Okay. Back to business. As you saw in my last attachment of HOST, I have many files. Which one do I rename or do rename all of them?  

as john wrote :

"The easiest way to disable your hosts file is to rename it to something else and reboot the machine."

i am not certain as to which ones to rename ... i would hazard that those that are 15K in size would have to be renamed .

i use "ghostery" and a few other items (john mentioned a couple of them) along with firefox and they do a very nice job .

(and much easier than messing around with hosts files and such)