Document Folders Going Missing - Virus or Windows 7?

I have only recently installed Win7/Pro x64 on my system. I downloaded and installed XPMode but found it slow to open. Research quickly taught me that is as vulnerable as running XP/Pro itself if it is running when the greater system is exposed to the Internet. I've not uninstalled it yet but I've stopped using it.

It took a little longer to discover that Office 2000 applications like Word and Excel run in compatibility mode. For a week or so before that I tried adding to my learning curve by trying out Apache Open Office Writer. Suddenly, one day, I found that a branch under My Documents was missing. I thought it might be AOO. Today, while running Word 2000, I went to open another branch of My Documents and I can't find it.

When I say gone, I mean that logging the entire disk with ZTree and doing a global display with the file specification set for a 'lost file' yields no result. I also did a string search on every file, regardless of the extension, on both my OS/programs HDD and my Data HDD. There are only a very few System files that it can't log. Otherwise it sees everything. The missing file is gone into the ether.

Is this the behavior of a known virus?  Is this perhaps a phenomenon others have seen when they adopted Windows 7?

thanks

baumgrenze

Hi:

Let's get some logs -- perhaps they will suggest what might be going on.

Thanks,

---------------------------

STEP 1
Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.
If you are running Windows 8.1, please skip this step.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

STEP 2
Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

----------------------------------

Step 1 -- Create an mbam-check log:

Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop.
Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file.
Please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop.

Then, if you can, please also upload your 3 most recent Protection module logs:

In Windows XP, these logs are located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs
In Windows Vista/7/8, these logs are located in: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

dds.scr
dds.com

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

• DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
    • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
      --->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

No, it doesn't sound 1malware related.

Loss of particular folders in one's Documents folder is more of a user's accidental removal mistake.  With malware it is all or nothing.  Not a discriminate action.  This is a case where restoration from one's Backup is in order.

Malware isn't really a subject matter for this sub-forum as the subject matter is for "General PC" problems that are non-malware related.  If you feel your issue is malware related and want to rule it out, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.

BTW:  Since LibreOffice was branched off of OpenOffice, many (like myself) have gone to LibreOffice in preference over Apache OpenOffice.

-----

1.  I say malware, not virus, because that is a specific sub-type of malware. 

EXAMPLE:  It's like at 0200 hrs one hears an automobile drive very fast down the street.  Later in the morning you discuss it with that family member and it is related that "I heard a Volkswagon drive by really fast at 2AM".  You ask "Did you see a Volkswagon" with an answer of "No".  "Then how do you know it was a Volkswagon at 2AM and not a Ford, Chevy, Volvo, Lexus or some other car ?"  The reply is they don't know.  So in reality the statement should have been "I heard an automobile drive by really fast at 2AM".

The reasoning is, like the case of a Volkswagon being a particular type of automobile,  a virus is a particular type of malware.  If you don't have specific facts that point at a particular sub-type over its peers or siblings then you have to go for the overarching concept such as an automobile which describes numerous kinds of vehicles or malware describes numerous kinds of malicious software.

Thank you daledoc1,

I've attached the logs to this post.

Sorry to be so slow in responding. I thought I had asked to follow the  topic but clearly I missed it.

baumgrenze

Hi:

Let's get some logs -- perhaps they will suggest what might be going on.

Thanks,

---------------------------

STEP 1

Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

If you are running Windows 8.1, please skip this step.

dds.scr

dds.com

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

• DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

Step 2 -- Run DDS and create 2 logs:

dds.scr

dds.com

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

•  
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
    • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

--->You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

dds.txt

OOPS!
My error!

I didn't notice that I had posted incorrect steps for the logs.

Thanks for the DDS logs. :)

Can you also please run this other tool and post back with both logs, as well?

I apologize for the confusion and error.

Thanks!

----------------------------------

Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

Thank you, daledoc1,

Here are the logs.

I look forward to your reply.

Here's a thought. With both AOO Writer and MS Word 2000 I saved all my documents in the classic *.doc format of MS Word.

I hate to be a Luddite, but I can do things with Word documents "in my sleep." I'll leave my rant there.t

thanks

baumgrenze

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

I forgot to mention that this afternoon I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it, too.

I didn't have all my HDD's attached to the system, just a simple 128 Gb Crucial M550 SSD for the OS/Program files and the 640 Gb WD Caviar (2009 vintage) I've been using to store my data files.

I've attached the log. I didn't think that it looked very frightening. Perhaps this is a result of 'incompetence knowledge.'

thanks

baumgrenze

MalwarebytesLog052914.txt