pum.bad.proxy, resets to use proxy server

There are two security systems running on your system, McAfee and Microsoft Security Essentials. That really is counterproductive, it is essential that you UNinstall one of them ASAP.

Next,

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into.

NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.

The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Open Malwarebytes 2.0, run a Threat Scan

On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.
When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In most cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Post log:

After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
Click 'Copy to Clipboard'
Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.

Let me see those logs, also give an update on any remaining issues or concerns....

Kevin...

fixlist.txt

i first removed micrsoft security essentials, then downloaded the fixlist.txt file into the same folder where the other files and ran frst64.exe from the same folder but immediately received this error:

Line 9272 (File D:\ifolder\downloads\frst64.exe )

Error Variable canot be accessed in this manner.

i clicked ok and the program stopped.

In the downloads folder you have frst64.exe also the file named fixlist.txt that file must not be opened. Open frst64.exe Select the "Fix" button once only, then wait. When finished the tool will create a log "Fixlog.txt" that will be saved in the same folder...

ok, i n hte dowloads file i have frst64.exe, the fixlist.txt that you just asked me to download today plus frst.txt and fixlog.txt, when i open only frst64.exe and slelect fix "once", i still get the error stated above.  i f i click "ok" on the error button, frst64.exe closes, if i leave the error box open, the fix just goes out and does nothing but run and run.

Ok leave FRST for now, continue as follows:

Read the following link before we continue and run Combofix:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Next,

Delete any versions of Combofix that you may have on your Desktop, download a fresh copy from either of the following links :-

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

http://www.infospyware.net/antimalware/combofix/

• Ensure that Combofix is saved directly to the Desktop <--- Very important

• Disable all security programs as they will have a negative effect on Combofix, instructions available here  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic114351.html if required. Be aware the list may not have all programs listed, if you need more help please ask.

• Close any open browsers and any other programs you might have running

• Double click the combofix.gif icon to run the tool (Vista or Windows 7 users right click and select "Run as Administrator)

• Instructions for running Combofix available here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix if required.

• If you are using windows XP It might display a pop up saying that "Recovery console is not installed, do you want to install?" Please select yes & let it download the files it needs to do this. Once the recovery console is installed Combofix will then offer to scan for malware. Select continue or yes.

• When finished, it will produce a report for you. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt" for further review

****Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall or freeze ****

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.

Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security. If this is an issue or makes it difficult for you -- please tell us when you reply. Read here  http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?page=20 why  disabling autoruns is recommended.

*EXTRA NOTES*

If Combofix detects any Rootkit/Bootkit activity on your system it will give a warning and prompt for a reboot, you must allow it to do so.
    If Combofix reboot's due to a rootkit, the screen may stay black for several minutes on reboot, this is normal
    If after running Combofix you receive any type of warning message about registry key's being listed for deletion when trying to open certain items, reboot the system and this will fix the issue (Those items will not be deleted)

Post the log in next reply please...

Kevin

Download OTL to your desktop.

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Under the Standard Registry box change it to All.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check.
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post it with your next reply.

Thanks,

Kevin...

Re-Run otlDesktopIcon.png  by double left click, Vista and Widows 7 users accept UAC alert. if applicable.

• Under the customFix.png box at the bottom, paste in the following, start with and include the colon plus OTL . :OTL

:FilesO3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.[emptytemp][CREATERESTOREPOINT]
  • Then click runFixbutton.png button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, when done it will say "Fix Complete press ok to open the log"
  • Please post that log in your next reply.

Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot the machine to finish the move process.
If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes. In this case, after the reboot, open Notepad (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad), click File > Open, in the File Name box enter  *.log and press the Enter key, navigate to the C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder, and open the newest .log file present, and copy/paste the contents of that document back here in your next post.

Next,

We need to run an online AV scan to ensure there are no remnants of any infection left on your system that may have been missed. This scan is very thorough and well worth running, it can take several hours please be patient and let it complete:

Run Eset Online Scanner

**Note** You will need to use Internet explorer for this scan - Vista and Windows 7/8 right click on IE shortcut and run as admin

Go to Eset web page http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/ to run an online scan from ESET.

Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
click on the Run ESET Online Scanner button
Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
Click Start
When asked, allow the add/on to be installed
Click Start
Make sure that the option "Remove found threats"  is UNticked
Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options
Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
Click Scan
wait for the virus definitions to be downloaded
Wait for the scan to finish

When the scan is complete

If no threats were found
put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close"
close program
report to me that nothing was found

If threats were found

click on "list of threats found"
click on "export to text file" and save it as ESET SCAN and save to the desktop
Click on back
put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close"
click on finish

close program

Copy and paste the report in next reply.

Let me see those logs, also give an update on any remaining issues or concerns...

Kevin

Here is the result from running OTL again.  Before i run the AV utility which you said may take a while, can i work while it is running or do i need to leave the computer alone? if i have to leave it alone i will have to wait an run it tonite.

All processes killed
========== OTL ==========
========== FILES ==========
File\Folder O3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found. not found.
File\Folder [emptytemp] not found.
File\Folder [CREATERESTOREPOINT] not found.

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 05302014_130206

Files\Folders moved on Reboot...

PendingFileRenameOperations files...

Registry entries deleted on Reboot...

Is better to leave the system idle with security turned off whilst ESET is run.... Tonight is ok.... 

Also can you run OTL one more time exactly as before with this script:

:otlO3 - HKLM\..\Toolbar: (no name) - Locked - No CLSID value found.:commands[emptytemp][CREATERESTOREPOINT]

Thank you,

Kevin...

Thanks for the update, run the following to clean up tools etc....

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

"Delfix link mirror"

Double Click to start the program. If you are using Vista or higher, please right-click and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

Activate UAC
    Remove disinfection tools
    Create registry backup
    Purge System Restore
    Reset system settings

Now click on "Run" and wait patiently until the tool has completed.

The tool will create a log when it has completed. We don't need you to post this.

Part of the routine will be to create a registry back up with ERUNT,  the back up will be created here:

C:\Windows\ERUNT

When all is known to be well with your system you can delete that back up folder if you consider it as not needed...

Let me know if there are any remaining issues or concerns.. Also read the following link to fully understand PC security and best practices, you may find it useful....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

Kevin....

• Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!