BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER after Malwarebytes update

Malwarebytes updated the software (new gui etc - btw I hate the new gui) when my machine was rebooted.  Then within two hours I started getting Blue Screen of Death pointing to BAD_POOL_HEADER tied to this product.  I have had to uninstall malwarebytes to get my system stable.  Please, alert me when this product is stable as I find it important but not being able to use my box for software development outweighs the usefulness of this product.

And, can you return the old gui?  I hate the new one.

Also, I am a paid subscriber:  ID: 3VV77-W66QK

Carl Perkins

Hello and :welcome:

Thank You,

Firefox

Well you really should let us work with you to see what's going on. If you simply stick with 1.75 and think you're okay then come next year when we no longer support 1.75 you'll really be stuck as you won't have another version to fall back on.

FWIW, users reverting back to old version also need to realize they won't be as secure with it. The new scan engine in 2.0 has some tweaks in it to deal with current threats that old version does not.

The team is reacting to suggestions and comments with new versions as quickly as possible as has been done in the past.

Try as they might, you can't please everyone and this happens with every version we release.

If you'd like to take the time to let us help you then let me know and we'll be more than happy to take a look and see what's going on.

Please read the following topic Diagnostic Logs and post back the logs when ready and we'll see if we can determine what's going on.

Thanks

NOTE: You can download Malwarebytes version 1.75 from =>Malwarebytes Box HERE<= and click on the BLUE box titled Download (9.8 MB)

It might help to right-click on the System Tray icon and turn off "Malicious Website Protection".

I started getting BAD_POOL_HEADER BSODs too shortly after upgrading to Premium (2.0.1.1004), although I never suspected Malwarebytes.  I'd get 1 or 2 reboots per day.  This went on for some weeks. Then last Friday I finally ran WhoCrashed, which guessed that mwac.sys was responsible for all the crashes.  mwac.sys is in turn a component of Malwarebytes.  After disabling Malicious Website Protection early last Friday (and remembering to disable it again each time I booted the computer - the change doesn't seem to "stick"), I haven't had another BSOD.

Can't guess whether it will work for you too, but worth a try.

Hi, and welcome @anachromat:

Thanks for your input -- however, advising the OP to disable "Malicious Website Protection" is a VERY bad idea.
That feature is one of the primary components of MBAM's active, real-time protection.

BSOD are usually the result of hardware problems, driver issues or certain types of severe infection (rootkits).  It's important that the cause be identified and fixed, if possible.

Moreover, each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".
Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

@ nj5j:

It's certainly up to you, but I would suggest following the expert advice provided by @Firefox here.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

@daledoc1, I understand, but I'm not suggesting this as "a solution", just "worth a try".  That's all.  It helps or it doesn't, and something new is learned either way.  Yes, it's not a good thing to disable Malicious Website Protection, but it's better to disable that alone than to uninstall the product entirely, which is the "solution" the original poster embraced.

The advantage to disabling MWP is that it's dead easy to try, taking only seconds to do two mouse clicks.  The docs you linked to describe elaborate procedures that could take hours to slog through.  I will personally go through all that, but can't make time for it right now.  In the meantime, I want some protection, and disabling MWP has made the problem go away for now.  A BSOD can be extremely disruptive (can lose work in progress, etc), and it's not always possible to drop everything for hours to follow a complicated "let's try to fix this for real" procedure.  "Better than nothing" can be, well, better than nothing  ;) .

Hi, @anachromat:

Well, as you mentioned, a BSOD is a big deal -- it suggests something seriously awry with the computer (hardware problem, driver problem, rootkit).
Disabling a key component of MBAM PREMIUM is *not* a safe or advisable solution or workaround.
It's certainly your choice, if you wish to do so for your computer.
However, we would respectfully ask that you NOT suggest such a solution for other users.

Each computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions.
They most often need to be individualized.

A fix for one computer can sometimes break another system.

It is less confusing for everyone if we try to stick to "one user per topic".

The staff and experts would be happy to help you.

So, if you would like help with your particular issue, I respectfully ask that you please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.
The staff and experts will be able to more easily provide both you and the OP with individual help to get you both up and running.

@nj5j:

Has your issue been resolved, or do you still need help?

It might help to right-click on the System Tray icon and turn off "Malicious Website Protection".

I started getting BAD_POOL_HEADER BSODs too shortly after upgrading to Premium (2.0.1.1004), although I never suspected Malwarebytes.  I'd get 1 or 2 reboots per day.  This went on for some weeks. Then last Friday I finally ran WhoCrashed, which guessed that mwac.sys was responsible for all the crashes.  mwac.sys is in turn a component of Malwarebytes.  After disabling Malicious Website Protection early last Friday (and remembering to disable it again each time I booted the computer - the change doesn't seem to "stick"), I haven't had another BSOD.

Can't guess whether it will work for you too, but worth a try.

anachromat, thank you; I am going to reinstall the product and then flip off "malicious website protection" to see if that works like it did for you.

anachromat, thank you; I am going to reinstall the product and then flip off "malicious website protection" to see if that works like it did for you.

Ok, I reinstalled the product and so far about 5 hours has elapsed with no bsod issues.  Also, you can prevent having to reset the option on reboot by 1) Clicking on settings, 2) Select Advanced settings, 3) Deslect checkbox "Enable Malicious Website Protection when Malwarebytes Anti-Malware startes".  I have not rebooted so I am just swagging that this will prevent it from flipping on when you reboot.  Anachromat, thank you so much - this is a viable and easy solution.  I also run WebRoot for site trapping and it works fairly well.  I scanned this site and this problem has been around for quite some time - wish Malwarebytes would fix it instead of asking everyone to collect logs for them.  Software development is not what it once was, ihmo.

@nj5j, yes, the Advanced Setting you found works to keep MWP disabled across reboots - thanks!

I'm not using that now.  Last night I followed the "clean removal" procedure, rebooted, and installed the then-latest version (2.0.2.1012 Premium), leaving MWP enabled.  I haven't had a crash yet, but it hasn't even been 24 hours, so too soon to guess whether I'm golden now (based on how rarely I saw crashes before - 1 or 2 per day on average, but sometimes more than a day pased with no problems).  I went 5 1/2 days without a problem with MWP disabled, so to be on the safe side I won't declare victory  ;) until a BSOD-free week passes with MWP enabled.

As to "fixing it" (for real), driver errors can be nightmares to fix.  I sympathize with the desire to collect logs, and I'll do that if I get another BSOD.  For example, there may not be any problem at all in mwac.sys, but some other driver (from some other source) may be mucking with the IP stack in an unsupported (by Microsoft) way, but in a way that simply doesn't display any symptoms unless another driver is trying to do the same kinds of things "at about the same time".  In such a case, if the Malwarbytes folks can't reproduce the problems on their own boxes, their only hope is to dig through multiple logs hoping to find a pattern.  Etc.  Pure hell  :( .

BTW, I work in "open source" software, where things like this are generally easier to track down.  We have all the source code, and there's no corporate image to preserve so no need to discourage users from trying things that may not be optimal - LOL  :P .

If you did a "clean remove" and fresh install too, maybe try enabling MWP again?  It could be that's "a (real) fix" for both of us.

Hope springs eternal  :) .

Hi, again to both of you:

The staff will be more than happy to identify and resolve your BSOD issues, whether the cause might be hardware/drivers/rootkits, etc.

However, doing so will require at least a smidgen of basic system info to start the process.

We would respectfully ask each of you -- if you would like help -- to follow the steps in this pinned topic to collect some basic info: Diagnostic Logs.

In order to minimize confusion, we would likewise ask that @nj5j please post the logs back here in this thread (@nj5j is the OP), while @anachromat please post the logs in a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.