Can't update Malwarebytes anymore.

Hello and :welcome:, Lekkerb:

First, please be sure your system date and time are correct, and that your anti-virus/firewall are not blocking the program from updating.

Then:

Thank You,

Thanks for the logs.

Until someone from staff/experts arrives to formally analyze them, it looks as if you've recently run some Windows repair tools?
There's some other stuff going on with the system -- alternate data streams, etc -- suggestive of infection.

And MBAM is crashing a lot.

In order to get you expert help most efficiently over this U.S. holiday weekend -- where most of the MBAM staff are based -- it might be advisable to have one of the malware experts assist you with this.
To do so, I suggest that you please follow the advice in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware analyst will assist you with looking into your issue and with getting MBAM installed and working.

Since you have already run the preliminary tools, you just need to start a NEW, SEPARATE topic >>HERE<<, attaching the same logs to that new post.

It would also help to include with your new post a reference back to this topic:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=149284

Thanks,

@Lekkerb

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes forum.

Your system does have the latest version of our program.  I suspect your antivirus and or its firewall or web filter is interfering with our Update process

That is not uncommon especially with this being a new version.

Please double check your whitelist / Trusted applications settings in your Avast software.   Use my list  ( folder locations / file names ) as shown.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
I suggest putting in trust settings, as follows:
Please "exclude" (i.e., put Trust settings) for the following MBAM exe files within your Antivirus Software :

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in "Windows Firewall" you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Check your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security application to see if you can add exclusions for specific applications/files to ignore.
You may need to contact their technical support or check their support website for instructions.
You will need to set your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security to ignore/exclude the files I listed above.

Use this old guide here for AVAST --- but only for how to get to the areas within AVAST itself.

as I said, use my list for the EXE names

If you have a question, please ask.

Hi Maurice Naggar, excluding Malwarebytes did not work.

So, i copied my brothers working Malwarebytes, including the Malwarebytes directory in ProgramData, and now its working without crashing anymore.

I only had to replace the licence information.

Hello,

I would suggest you do the following.   And not do other fixes on your own.

As we go along, if something is not clear or you have some question, please ask me first.
**If there is some complication, please do not do any fix by yourself.  Stop and ask me first for guidance.**

Go to Control Panel >>All Control Panel items >> Programs and Features.
Locate and select Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and  (( if not there then skip this part ))   do a Right click on it and select Uninstall.
Allow the Uninstall to proceed.
Close Control Panel when done.

If the uninstall from Control Panel hiccups or does not work, please go forward and use the mbam-clean step  anyway.

Close all opened windows/apps so you will have a clear view to the desktop.
I would suggest, a new clean install as follows:
Download and SAVE  mbam-clean utility from  http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

then run mbam-clean.exe:   Double click the "mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe" file to run the clean tool. It runs quickly.

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

Next Download & SAVE  the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam

Run the mbam-setup.  IF your Windows is Vista / Windows 7 / 8, then do a Right-click on **mbam-setup.exe** and select Run as Administrator and allow to run.
Then after the setup has finished, on the Dashboard screen, press the **Update now** link.
Let me know if the update succeeds.

When all done, do a new (fresh) Windows Restart.

NEXT, do a Threat Scan.

On the Dashboard, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.

If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.
When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In some cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
Click 'Copy to Clipboard'
Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.

Ok, so have done what you asked.

Uninstall worked perfectly, restarted windows and skipped mbam clean.

Installed Malwarebytes again then it crashed, restarted pc, ran a threat scan = same crash.

Added the pictures of the crash.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Protection, 26-5-2014 20:25:51, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:25:51, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:25:51, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:26:34, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Update, 26-5-2014 20:27:14, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.5.25.6, 2014.5.26.3,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:16, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:16, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:17, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:21, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:21, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:27:22, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:31:46, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:31:46, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:31:46, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:31:46, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:38:41, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:38:41, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:38:41, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:38:46, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:47:55, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:47:55, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:47:55, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 26-5-2014 20:48:22, SYSTEM, GEEST-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,

(end)

Hope its ok what i have done until now.

post-77318-0-38841000-1401130989_thumb.p

post-77318-0-22797700-1401131771_thumb.p

I am concerned that you likely may have a serious malware infection / or otherwise something about the Windows installation is not stable or something missing.

Q:  Did you do all that I had listed?    what part did you skip?

Bottom line:  Follow the procedures to create a new Help thread in Malware Removal Help.   https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7

To my eye, it looks as if you either did not save the EXE to the desktop  and went and executed the EXEs straight out of the browser-download.

Both of the screenshots show the browser open and in the background.

• Staff

Hello Lekkerb,

I was wondering if you could help us out by:

1) Providing the protection logs from the day that you were experiencing your issue? 

2) Download Process Monitor, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx. Run this while trying to update and MBAM crashes. Get a log of when this happens and attach that log in a zipped file.

3) Download Wireshark, http://www.wireshark.org/download.html. Run this while trying to update as well. Get a log of when this happens and attach that log in a zipped file.

Those two logs will help us out in determining the issue you are experiencing.

Hi NCstafford.

1 is gone, tried many fixes before i posted the problem.

Other logs attached.

@shadowwar Thats the net.conf that comes with the installation and Malwarebytes crashes when i update, if i overwrite it with a working Malwarebytes net.conf version, i can update.

Also attached the good for me net.conf

wireshark.zip

net.zip

• Staff

Hello Lekkerb,

Thank you for providing those logs. Question though, are these logs when using the bad net.conf file that was causing you issues?

If not, could you please rerun both wireshark and procmon with that net.conf.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Noah

Hello Lekkerb,

I would like for you to do the following, since it appears you have a hidden malware.

Restart your system, Windows, so that it is a fresh start.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR)  and save it to your desktop,
from here   
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar

•Doubleclick on the MBAR,exe  file you downloaded and approve the UAC prompt in Vista and newer operating systems.

•Click **OK** on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder, mbar.
•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.

•After reading the Introduction, click '**Next**' if you agree.
•On the Update Database screen, click on the Update button.
•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next'.
•Click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.
  1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
  2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

After the Scan has completed, click the CleanUp button and allow the reboot if prompted.

Please attach the most recent mbar-log-2014 <date and time>.txt in your next reply + also system-log.txt

Then perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain.

• Staff

Hello Lekkerb,

Looking over the Process Monitor log, it appears that there are a couple of crash dump files for mbam.exe at the following location:

C:\Users\Geest\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

Could you please zip the ones labeled mbam.exe.4720. dmp and mbam.exe.3812.dmp and post them? If there are more than one, please use the largest file you can find. 

Thank you,

Noah

I installed malwarebytes today (downloaded free version from malwarebytes.org) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. It kept crashing on trying to do the initial update for the first scan. I rebooted before running, ran installer as administrator, let all the malwarebytes programs through the firewall, disabled Avast - nothing helped. I then grabbed the working net.conf from this thread and everythings now working fine. Just another data point.