My malwarebytes updated and i opened it to start a quick scan out of habit. It had to reinstall after the update for some reason. Then I went to reinstall it, and it stopped midway and said:

Error:

C\:Programs Files (x86) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\chameleon\windows\mbam-chameleon.com

An error occurred while trying to read the source file: Access is denied. Click to retry and try again, ignore to skip this file, or abort to cancel installation.

Hello and :welcome:, EmilyC:

Thank You,

Hi:

Thanks for the log.

EDIT: Your mbam-check log shows that you are still running MBAM version 1.75.

So, you might want to try the clean upgrade to version 2.0, by following the instructions here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Re:FRST

I suspect you might have tried to run the FRST version that doesn't apply to your computer.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

There are 2 versions of FRST, one is for 64-bit systems, & the other is for 32-bit systems.

If you aren't sure if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can either:

• Click the second link in that quoted snippet above, OR
  • Download BOTH versions and try to run them -- the one that runs on your computer will be the correct one.

Please post back with those logs when you are ready.

Thanks,

That sounds like an IE security setting?

You'll need to disable it or bypass it, or use another browser.

(I will have to research how to disable/bypass it, as I do not use IE myself. Or we will need to wait for another forum member who does use IE to explain how.)

EDIT: see here for IE11: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-smartscreen-filter#ie=ie-11

What version of IE are you using?

The FRST program is perfectly safe - it is used 100s of times a day here and at other computer support forums.

Your mbam-check log shows: Windows 8., 64-bit.

So you would want the 64-bit version of FRST.

BUT, as I mentioned, your mbam-check log still shows that you are running an older version of the program.

Did you try the instructions >>HERE<<, yet?

Thanks,

post-29793-0-83533400-1400935687_thumb.p

Please use a different browser (such as Firefox), OR see this link for IE11 to configure IE to allow the download: http://windows.micro...filter#ie=ie-11.

What version of IE are you using?

But, once again, have you tried to perform the clean upgrade from MBAM version 1.75 to version 2.0, as explained here: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If you upgrade MBAM successfully, then we don't need to bother with the diagnostic logs. :)

Thank you,

post-29793-0-81330300-1400935987_thumb.p

Good job.

Thanks for those logs. :)

Now we will need to wait for someone to review them (you are running IE10, for the record).

MBAM is not showing up in your FRST log.

So, I think we are back to Square One again.

You said that you ran the removal tool, mbam-clean.

Is that correct?

If so, did you reboot the computer when it asked to do so?

If so, I will ask once again: Did you try to cleanly reinstall the latest version, 2.0.2.1012, by following the instructions >>RIGHT HERE at THIS LINK<<?

If you have already run the removal tool and you have rebooted the computer, you will start in the "middle" of the list of steps -- see screen shot.

Thanks,

post-29793-0-86073400-1400937105_thumb.p

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

There is more going on that needs to be addressed with this computer, and that can not be do in this section of the forum.

To get this computer cleaned up, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jimmaki and :welcome:

We are disappointed to read your system is having issues. Each computer is unique. Problems that seem "the same" most often are not.

The same is true for solutions. They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we adhere to the "one user per topic" forum policy.

Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.

Staffers, experts and helpers will be able to more easily provide both you, and the OP, with individualized assistance to get you both up and running.

Although totally un-necessary, a few members will post their requested individual attachment files in separate posts.

It is likely that the forum awaited your still missing Log Set 2, and your thread was regrettably passed over.

If you performed the requested mbam-check.exe step, and you forgot to attach the CheckResults.txt file, please do so now.

If you overlooked that 2nd diagnostic step, please perform that necessary critical step now and attach in your new separate post.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. :)