Scans won't complete with version 2.0.2.1012

First off, I'd like to say I've been a satisfied user of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for years.

I've never had any issues with the program, until now.

Since I've updated to version 2.0.2.1012 (Free), I haven't been able to complete a "full" scan.

By full, I mean selecting Scan > Custom Scan > Scan Now > and selecting everything (all drives)

The normal "Threat Scan' DOES complete successfully.

I would however, like to run a complete scan like I used to in the previous version.

Anyway, to my issue...

I simply can't complete a full scan. It seems to stop scanning in the same folder each time. (A folder for a game I play.)

I've tried reinstalling MBAM, and it still happens.

The program just stops scanning at certain point in this folder. It doesn't crash mind you, it just says scanning this one file and doesn't stop. It stays scanning the one file it decides to stop on for hours and hours and doesn't progress further. When this happens, I can't even cancel the scan. I have to exit the program manually.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hello Gob and :welcome:

Please try a new Custom scan with "Scan for Rootkits" unchecked and reply to this thread with your results.

Thank you. :)

I tried doing a custom scan again without selecting rootkits, and it still won't complete the scan.

It is still stopping at the same folder/file.

Any other suggestions?

Well, it appears I might have been wrong.

I left the scan continue over and hour and it FINALLY finished scanning that one file and proceeded as normal.

The older version of MBAM never took that long to scan ANY file.

Is this a bug or is this expected behavior of the new version?

Hello,

To answer your last question --- neither.   Some systems due the antivirus in use need the extra care to set our program into the whitelist  ( or what is otherwise termed as Trusted application settings).

Otherwise, in some cases, the thing to do is REBOOT Windows and do a scan stray away from there    { ie, lessen the interference from all the opened other applications.}

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.
I suggest putting in trust settings, as follows:
Please "exclude" (i.e., put Trust settings) for the following MBAM exe files within your Antivirus Software :

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in "Windows Firewall" you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Check your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security application to see if you can add exclusions for specific applications/files to ignore.
You may need to contact their technical support or check their support website for instructions.
You will need to set your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security to ignore/exclude the files I listed above.

NOTE: Over time, as more future scans are done, you should see improvement in the run times.