MBAM will not install - Code 2 Error

Hello!

My dad was recently given an old laptop from his coworker, and I've been trying to install MBAM onto it. MBAM installs, but once I try to launch it, I get this message: "unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe. CreateProcess failed; code 2. The system cannot find the file specified." I've read past posts from others who've had the same problem, so I'm aware that this is happening because there is likely some malware on the laptop. I've already tried the solution mentioned here, but it hasn't worked for me. The laptop itself is working fine, but I'm having various problems installing security programs such as MBAM and Microsoft Security Essentials; I'm guessing that my problem installing Microsoft Security Essentials is related to the malware too? 

I had planned to provide a log from HiJackThis with this post, but upon launching it, I get this message: "windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe.' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." I'm at a loss as to what to do now. xP Any help is much appreciated!!

The laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit. Service Pack 1.

Hello tea-addict and :welcome:

Thank you for the lucid explanation! HijackThis has been deprecated 2x since these sub-forum names were chosen.

The post reference you found is quite old and mostly pertained to the previous generation MBAM1 product, yet it's still somewhat valuable.

A more valuable, compatible and updated HijackThis related tool is Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

Thank you. :)