Does the Malware bytes latest free version 2.0---has so much limited function

Hi,

I have my free antimalware program updated to the latest free version. But i find the functions of deleting or enabling settings of malware bytes deletion seems to have been removed in the new version.

Beforehand, i used to click show results and select all the malwares to delete. Now there is no such thing in the latest free version. It seems that this software co has also make it compulsory to get the license to use to have the limited settings that one had in the free version, like deleting the found malware.

License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled

is the same settings available in the new free version. Or can i use the old version by udating the same.

This has one more missing feature in context menu. Whenever i downloaded a file, i used to scan the file by right clicking the file and select to scan with malware bytes, but it is missing in context menu also.

Hi:

In addition to 1PW's explanation about context menu scanning....

License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
                         is the same settings available in the new free version. Or can i use the old version by udating the same.

Real-time protection (malware and malicious website) features are only available in the paid, PREMIUM version.
This is nothing new.
MBAM Free was and is and always has been only a manual, on-demand scanner.

A feature comparison is available here

If you would like to enable the real-time protection and other PREMIUM features, yes, you will need to purchase a license.

Beforehand, i used to click show results and select all the malwares to delete. Now there is no such thing in the latest free version.

Open the main dashboard > history > Quarantine to see and manage what's in quarantine.
Open the main dashboard > history > Application logs to see your scan logs.

Items in quarantine cannot harm your system.

It's generally advised to leave them there for a few days or more, to be sure there wasn't a rare "False Positive".

After a few days, you may delete them from the quarantine.

ALSO, for additional information:
There is an FAQ Section here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF

Hope this helps,

Sudden switch to some thing totally new is the thing one notice. beforehand, it is quick scan and now it is threat scan. Quick scan finishes in about 4 to 5 minutes. But threat scan takes almost an hour. So, i did notice these differences.From the above replies i understand that the vers2 is improvised user interface. But, obvious was the missing features compared to paid vesion.

The replies were very useful to me in understanding still more about this wonderful tool. But what about false positives. How to differentiate those from real threats. I usually click the Show results and select each to destroy, as mostly i found those to be dangerous. For eg. inviewer program exe is shown as dangerous malware. But the same actions of win gif viewer , have almost the same settings, are not captured by this program.

Thanks for the reply. Pl say how to know it is false positive. What are those parameters? that determine it is false positive and why

Sudden switch to some thing totally new is the thing one notice. beforehand, it is quick scan and now it is threat scan. Quick scan finishes in about 4 to 5 minutes. But threat scan takes almost an hour. So, i did notice these differences.From the above replies i understand that the vers2 is improvised user interface. But, obvious was the missing features compared to paid vesion.

The replies were very useful to me in understanding still more about this wonderful tool. But what about false positives. How to differentiate those from real threats. I usually click the Show results and select each to destroy, as mostly i found those to be dangerous. For eg. inviewer program exe is shown as dangerous malware. But the same actions of win gif viewer , have almost the same settings, are not captured by this program.

Thanks for the reply. Pl say how to know it is false positive. What are those parameters? that determine it is false positive and why?

Hi, daledoc

Open the main dashboard > history > Quarantine to see and manage what's in quarantine.

How to open the dash board, i tried but nothing opens. ple

How to edit one's post. sorry, i selected quote button

How to open the dash board, i tried but nothing opens. ple

Hi:

To open the dashboard in the Free version: click the desktop shortcut icon for the program, or open it from the Windows start menu.

If you think that MBAM has detected something that you think is NOT malware (i.e. a "False Positive"), then please do the following:

1. Read the instructions >>HERE<<, then
  2. Submit the ZIPPED/ARCHIVED file in a new topic in the File Detections False Positive section of the forum >>HERE<<

The research team will review the submission and determine if the detection is correct or not.

Thanks,

Hi, Thank you daledoc,

Opening of malware bytes is the dash board. Ok.

I found quarantined items.

Thanks for the information.

How to edit one's post, once posted.

Weblink means Google links? Why I am asking is when i click a weblink of famous www.excelforum.com, the avast gives that html.script.inf. Can i scan the link with this tool.. Because, i think that this is new addition to free malware bytes.

once again thanks , for all the information and links. thanks for gem of a reply

Hi:

Editing posts: Because of prior abuse by other members, one needs to achieve a minimum number of posts before being permitted to edit.

False positives: I'm not qualified to answer your other question, and I think the Research Team will need a bit more information. 

If you think that MBAM has detected a file that you think is NOT malware (i.e. a "False Positive"), then please do the following:

1. Read the instructions >>HERE<<, then
  2. Submit the ZIPPED/ARCHIVED file (you might want to include your MBAM scan log, too) in a new topic in the File Detections False Positive section of the forum >>HERE<<

The research team will review the submission and determine if the detection is correct or not.

Thank you,