About YAC (Yet Another Cleaner)

Hi!

I used to post on this forum under the name Lode, but forgot my password, and I was still registered with a previous now obsolete email address -lode(at)alice.nl- so no use using "Forgot your password."

I've seen that a program called "Yet Another Cleaner" or "Yac" has been getting a lot of flack on the Internet. Also here I saw that the program gave severe problems to some. It would change one's homepage, and not uninstall. Looks like your typical rogue supposed "cleaner." Although the name's got humor...

I would like to clear things up, as I've been lately in contact with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, YAC, and RevoUninstaller. Many emails. I want to thank MBAM's Mehtab Hasan and Ivan Bratoev for their support.

So here goes a text I wrote today and posted on various fora and blogs as well as under 2 YouTube video's, and now also here: 

At first I thought YAC was a rogue program after I read the articles about it. So I got in contact with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, asking them why their program did not detect it as malware on my notebook. Or at least as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). They responded that unless there was a good reason for that thy won't let their program do that, and they didn't have any good reason they said.

By clicking on "Examine now" on the interface, it scans your computer and cleans it up, but by default it also sets IE to Google if you have another homepage in that browser. Yet via "Protection" you can type in the URL of the homepage you want, and lock it. In my case "www.startpage.com".

In "Protection" you can choose from these search engines: Google, Bing, Yahoo, YAC and Unlocked. So the choice is entirely yours, and you can change it anytime.

Also, when tried to uninstalll YAC with RevoUninstaller, it didnt work. But it made a change in the default YAC uninstaller, so that after that it cant be uninstalled using Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program > "Yet Another Cleaner".

So I contacted RevoUninstaller, and they told me that it was because of YACs anti-virus program. But they gave me instructions on how to do it with their Pro version.

I'm still in contact with YAC about that issue, and they might come up with a solution, so that YAC can be uninstalled with RevoUninstaller Free also.

I've been exchanging emails with YAC, and they are very friendly and helpful
But uninstalling YAC with its default uninstaller works fine. Again: Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a program > "Yet Another Cleaner".

I'm glad to have it on my laptop now, and donated $10. I'm quite enthusiastic about it as you can see.

Since I think many other people can benefit from this free program, I'll surf a bit to see where else it is claimed YAC is a rogue program, and copy/paste what I wrote here on those other fora and blogs also.

I've read some comments saying that YAC doesn't uninstall and comes back again. That did not happen to me when using the above described uninstall method which takes a minute only.

I should know: I installed and uninstalled it maybe half a dozen times while exchanging emails with YAC and RevoUninstaller to figure out why it would come back after seemingly having been uninstalled with that uninstaller after a reboot. But uninstalling it as described it was gone every time. I had to reinstall it myself.

If you would have any difficulty with YAC, just contact them. Again, they are very friendly and helpful. My experience.

PS: I'm not affiliated in any way with YAC, I'm just a now enthusiastic user.