Malwarebytes Support Using Software MWB flags as PUP

I do not know how to handle this - I opened a Support case  (#445729) as MWB was not running per the Schedule I have setup.  My MWB install is a paid MWB Pro version.  The issue is that the MWB Support tech has been sending me links to adware removal tools that are not MWB products ( they are on www.bleepingcomputer.com per this tech support person's instructions). The first program would not even run on Windows 8.1.  The second one will not run because Malwarebytes Pro flags it as a PUP.Conduit danger!!

Since there is no way escalate or call MWB Support, I am stuck with posting to this Forum for advice/guidance.  I am very concerned that MWB Support is having me download 3rd party tools that their own software flags as a potential virus/malware threat!  What recourse or course of action should I as a paying customer follow?  How do I verify that this support person is following MWB company practices?  Why would Support be sending me links to software that their own product flags as a potential threat?

Hello and welcome back...

I can certainly understand your frustration/concern. Its probably going to be best to stick with the person helping you, as having multiple people helping will only cause more issues as one helper will not know what the other helper is doing. Also this uses up more resources.

Now as far as using other tools, its a common practice to use other tools to diagnose and collect logs as well as using them to clean up infections. A lot of these tools are indeed located over at bleeping computers web site. I can assure you that the tools that we use for malware removal are used daily hundreds of thousands of times daily and by no means contain PUP software. It sounds like when you tried to download a tool that was asked by the helper, you either got redirected, or you may have clicked on the wrong download link. Unfortunately there are ads on a lot of sites, and it can be confusing as to what link to click on to download a tool.

Can you tell me what tool you were asked to download and the page you tried to download it from? Please insert the link in code tags so that they are not live.

As for escalating the ticket, that is something you can ask the person helping you. If you have any questions you can direct those to him/her.

We do have a dedicated section where we help people here on the forum as well, but it will take longer as they get busy there, and they tend to use the same tools. That section is located HERE, but if your going to post there, you will have to seize working with the help desk, and you will have to notify them that your going to get help here on the forum instead.

Here is the link I was given on bleepingcomputer was the site URL plus /download/adwcleaner/.  (not really sure what you meant by "code tags") I did it twice to make sure I was using the Download link for that specific piece of software.  My frustration - if this tool has been used "hundreds of thousands of times", why would MWB itself block it?  There were no instructions that said "if MWB flags this as PUP, just add it to the Exclusion list" or any recognition that MWB itself is preventing the tool that Support points me to as malware. 

If the link you were give points to this one HERE then that's the right one, which I just downloaded and tested and I did not get any PUP notifications from Malwarebytes.  The file that it is suppose to download is AdwCleaner.exe and it is AdwCleaner version 3.2.1.0

Is that what you downloaded?

Another thought:  If your system is currently infected, then it (the infection(s)) could be intercepting your clicks on genuine links and redirecting you to malicious sites.

This would result in you thinking that the technician here that is helping you is trying to get you infected when, in reality, it is the infection trying to protect itself (and Firefox and and many others can attest to the fact that we have seen this time and again from infections).

Yes, that is the location and version of adwclean I downloaded.  There was no "redirect".  Malwarebytes is up-to-date and I have done several full scans, as well as with my Norton 360 AV and Windows Defender.  I can only presume that MWB thinks adwclean is a potential threat and has flagged it as such.

OP:  OK, Firefox hit the nail on the head.  I did not pay attention to the link on bleepingcomputer to download and clicked on a link in the paid advertisement section - you know, the one with the BIG Download button.  Stupid is as Stupid does.

Downloaded the correct program (MBAM had deleted the other) and all is well - Adwcleaner ran fine, finding nothing amiss.

Thank you FF and Mr. Galt.