Zero-Day Vulnerability For IE8

ritchie58

The Zero Day Initative has discovered a zero-day vulnerability that has, for 7 months, gone unpatched in Microsoft Interner Explorer 8. After Microsoft allowed XP users to get the patch for the last IE vulnerability comes this bad news for XP users!

http://zerodayinitiative.com/advisories/ZDI-14-140/

http://www.cnet.com/news/zero-day-flaw-haunts-ie-8-for-7-months-and-counting/?tag=nl.e757&s_cid=e757&ttag=e757&ftag=CAD2e9d5b9

I was wondering if Anti-Exploit would be able to protect an IE8 user from this vulnerability? Or would this be something that would be considered in a future build if Microsoft doesn't issue a security patch any time soon? I'm sure the XP users that's testing A-E right now would like to know that too.

Cheers, Ritchie...

• Staff

Of course nothing is 100% certain and we won't be able to verify until someone publishes an exploit or metasploit module for this vulnerability, but based on the description by ZDI I'm willing to bet with anybody that MBAE does stop this.

I understand what you're saying Pedro since the article did state that the vulnerability has, as yet, to be verified that it has been used malicously. If not, it would only be a matter of time before some hacker takes advantage of the situation since the cat is now out of the bag so to speak.

Since your professional opinion is that it's a good bet that Anti-Exploit would block this exploit I'm sure XP users that still use IE8 will find that rather reassuring!