Yet another database not updating after 'upgrade'

First post and I searched - you mean to tell me I can't fix this stupid 'database out of date' mess without uninstalling and reinstalling, and there's no way to recover the license info?  I switched comuters and somewhere the licensing info got lost - I have to pay again?  This is unacceptable.  This program used to work and now it doesn't, I never should have upgraded. 

I've included the log file from the tool mentioned in another post.  That message happens every hour.  I can manually run a scan but nothing will run automatically, and the database will not update.  Please help.

traceroute_malwarebytes_cdn.txt

Hello and :welcome:, reinbeau:

Sorry you are having updating issues.

Please follow the instructions here and post back and let us know how it goes:

Also, @digmorcrusher is correct: if you have a valid, paid, lifetime, consumer, 1-PC license for MBAM 1.x, that license will be automatically honored for migration to version 2.x.  There is no need to pay again: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

Thank You,

daledoc1

But I'm not comfortable uninstalling without a license key, and I've read elsewhere that you can't recover it.  I am embarassed that it's the one e-mail I can't find - I lost a bunch in the transition.  I'll give it a go, I guess, I hope you're right about the license.

This is why I'm leary, from the link for the removal tool:  WARNING: Please make sure you have or obtain your license activation information before running this procedure if you're using the paid PRO or PREMIUM version as this tool will remove all of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program files, logs, and licensing information from your computer. You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email.

Hi, reinbeau:

Reference: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x

Actually, if you ever had a proper, licensed installation of MBAM PRO 1.x on the computer, and you have NOT reinstalled the Windows OS, you can recover the ID/key from the registry before you reinstall.  The tutorial in the above link explains how.

Even if you are comfortable looking up the info in the registry, it's a good idea to have that info on hand before starting the process of upgrading to 2.0.2.1012.

You mention an email -- this suggests your original MBAM PRO 1.x was purchased online directly from the MBAM store.

If so, and if you cannot locate that email with the ID/key, then you can contact the e-commerce partner, cleverbridge.

Their contact info is here: How do I obtain my license key

They will be able to look up your info for you.

Once you have it, please be sure to keep it somewhere safe and handy (including a paper copy), in case you ever need to reinstall MBAM or transfer the license to a different computer.

(If you purchased MBAM PRO 1.x on a boxed CD, the ID/key will be in the box (CD sleeve or a card).)

You can always activate the 14-day trial of MBAM 2.0 PREMIUM while you sort out the licensing issue.

So, to recap, I would suggest:

1. Locate your license ID & key (from the purchase email or from Registry and/or from cleverbridge).
  2. Carefully follow the steps here: MBAM Clean Removal Process2.x

Thanks,

daledoc1

Try running this tool and see if it can find you license key from your previous version of 1.x version. This tool will only work if you have or had version 1.x installed on your computer.

You can use the following program to save a text file copy of it on your desktop (this is a program written by AdvancedSetup which is an admin on this forum). You should have an email from Cleverbridge as well with this information. You should then copy this file off of your desktop to a more appropriate location such as your Documents folder.

GetMalwarebytesRegistration

Thanks

Try running this tool and see if it can find you license key from your previous version of 1.x version. This tool will only work if you have or had version 1.x installed on your computer.

You can use the following program to save a text file copy of it on your desktop (this is a program written by AdvancedSetup which is an admin on this forum). You should have an email from Cleverbridge as well with this information. You should then copy this file off of your desktop to a more appropriate location such as your Documents folder.

GetMalwarebytesRegistration

Thanks

YES!!  That worked.  Awesome, thank you so much.  I'll be working on this later on this evening - can't wait to get rid of that message!!

OK glad that worked for you, now that you have your registration information, keep that file in a safe place, also print it and store it in a safe place. If you think about it, its a valuable piece of information at its your LIFETIME license which is being honored with future versions. 

Amazing.  Before you tell anyone to go through the steps above, please tell them to reboot their computer after the upgrade - I wasn't prompted to do so.  I received a support ticket in my e-mail and that was the first thing they suggested and guess what?  It worked.  All set now, however, my hair needs to regrow.....

Hi, reinbeau:

Very glad to hear everything is working OK for you. :)

You are correct -- rebooting (both before AND) after the upgrade is a "best practice" and can resolve some minor issues.

I often suggest it as a matter of routine, but probably not consistently enough.

FWIW, the step *is* part of the "clean reinstall" tutorial to which we refer users, as the final step for a PREMIUM reinstall/upgrade: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Having said that, it probably could be included for the Free version, too, and could be emphasized a bit.

Thanks very much for pointing that out.

Take care,

post-29793-0-53194900-1401020562_thumb.p

OK glad that worked for you, now that you have your registration information, keep that file in a safe place, also print it and store it in a safe place. If you think about it, its a valuable piece of information at its your LIFETIME license which is being honored with future versions. 

I ALWAYS keep my e-mails filed properly, the issue was the loss of data when I moved/shifted to a new computer.  It turns out I did store the info, though, in my Clipmate, so I did have it.  All this would have been easily solved and calmly if I'd known I should just reboot :)

@reinbeau - We apologize for others Hijacking your topic. We are awaiting analysis of your logs by staffers. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello PSax and :welcome:

We are disappointed to read your system is having issues. Each computer is unique. Problems that seem "the same" most often are not.
The same is true for solutions. They most often need to be individualized.

It is less confusing for everyone if we adhere to the "one user per topic" forum policy.
Please start a NEW, SEPARATE topic using the cjfj.png button.
Staffers, experts and helpers will be able to more easily provide both you, and the TOPIC STARTER, with individualized assistance to get you both up and running.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hey, wait, my problem hasn't been solved yet - so please, Malwarebytes gurus, help us.  I had the same thing.  Worked for 24 hours them it didn't - my file is attached above.  But I don't have all of what you posted.....

Make sure any "Detected Threats" are dispositioned on the "Scan" page of the interface then check to see if you can update.

Make sure any "Detected Threats" are dispositioned on the "Scan" page of the interface then check to see if you can update.

I did that, Barry, and manually updated, we'll see if that works, but if it does, shouldn't there be some kind of a warning?  This update seems to have removed the seamlessness of using Malwarebytes. 

Protection log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Update, 6/6/2014 12:38:53 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Manual, Rootkit Database, 2014.5.21.1, 2014.6.2.1,

Update, 6/6/2014 12:38:53 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.5.29.5, 2014.6.6.5,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:38:55 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Refresh, Starting,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:38:55 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:38:57 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:40:32 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Refresh, Success,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:40:32 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,

Protection, 6/6/2014 12:40:32 PM, SYSTEM, FAMILYROOM, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,

(end)

Scan Log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/6/2014

Scan Time: 12:38:59 PM

Logfile:

Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012

Malware Database: v2014.06.06.05

Rootkit Database: v2014.06.02.01

License: Premium

Malware Protection: Enabled

Malicious Website Protection: Enabled

Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64

File System: NTFS

User: Ann

Scan Type: Threat Scan

Result: Completed

Objects Scanned: 317818

Time Elapsed: 13 min, 55 sec

Memory: Enabled

Startup: Enabled

Filesystem: Enabled

Archives: Enabled

Rootkits: Disabled

Heuristics: Enabled

PUP: Enabled

PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 1

PUP.Optional.DataMangr.A, HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\DataMngr, Quarantined, [db62ec89106bc96d5616b7e34eb4f60a],

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

• Root Admin

Please restart your computer and rescan with MBAM as it shows that you did remove a threat that typically does require a reboot and may in fact require manual review as that infection messes with a lot of settings on your system.

Please open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and from the Dashboard please Check for Updates by clicking the Update Now... link
Open up Malwarebytes > Settings > Detection and Protection > Enable Scan for rootkits, Under Non Malware Protection set both PUP and PUM to Treat detections as malware.
Click on the SCAN button and run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking the Scan Now>> button.
Once completed please click on the History > Application Logs and find your scan log and open it and then click on the "copy to clipboard" button and post back the results on your next reply.

Then let me get a new mbam check log please.

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

There is something seriously wrong here.  Malwarebytes is causing my hard disk to cycle continuously, when I tried to reboot I rebooted into a temporary desktop at first, the program will not respond properly - what on earth is going on?  I am going to run that mbam-check thing and attach the log.  I did a scan and it did scan and find some stuff, but the program won't respond when I try to get a log.  This program worked before.  What on earth has changed?

Malwarebytes has disappeared from my tray, I'm going to restart the program, hopefully the log is there.

Scan Log:  Can't paste it here because it's filled with emoticons and your system will not allow it to be posted here.  I'm going to save it to a Notepad text file and attach it - I didn't add any emoticons but right now I'm frowning.

CheckResults.txt

scanlog6-6-14.txt

• Root Admin

Yes the computer has some type of infection that probably needs to be reviewed in more detail. As we don't do malware detection and removal in this forum I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you