Disabled MBAM Scan R2.0 Enabled Microsoft Security Essentials

Have been trying for  two months to get R2.0 scan to perform comparable to what R1.75 did. No such luck. What took 3 minutes with R1.75 now takes 10 to 12 minutes with R2.0. Additionally R2.0 will run fine 30 minutes ago then starts another scan for no apparent reason. Cancelling a scan creates even more problems. So I've turned off R2.0 scan and enable  Microsoft Security Essentials scan. I know its not as complete as MBAM 2.0 but at least it runs OK and doesnt keep burping like MBAM. Here's hoping the new release of scan is better than what R2.0 has. 

Hi:

Welcome back.
Is this by any chance the same computer about which you reported the same issue with longer scan times here and here?

As explained back then, version 2.0 is a more powerful tool that scans in places 1.75 could not.
So, slightly longer scan times are normal and nothing to worry about.
There are many, many other factors that determine scan times:

Time taken is due to a many factors some which can be dealt with and others not as easily.

Size of disk
Disk type
Disk speed
Disk caching
CPU speed
Controller type and speed
Operating System used
Amount of files (including temp files!)
Amount of folders
Amount of archived files such as zip, rar, sfx, etc. (if this is enabled)
Rootkit scan or not (if this is enabled)
PUM/PUP scans
Other security programs running at the same time that may potentially be monitoring all file accesses by any other process.
Drive integrity - if a drive is failing it can take a long time to ignore and bypass sectors on a disk or simply fail period and hang the scan.
Other ongoing disk I/O processes
System being infected can also affect speed of scans
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145429#entry811422

Also note that changes in the MBAM database can also cause scan times to increase or decrease, so that's another factor to consider. As mentioned => HERE <=

Sometimes a conflict with your antivirus may be possible as well. You may want to try adding exclusions in your AV - the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE. (Sometimes slowdowns are not due to conflicts between MBAM and the AV, per se, but rather to older hardware, insufficient RAM, cluttered disks, excessively tight security settings, etc.)

Having said ALL that, the latest build released a couple of days ago has improved scan times for some users.

So, a clean upgrade to that build may improve things for you, too:

Thank You,

daledoc1

P.S. The mod team might merge all 3 of your identical topics into one. ;)

Hi:

Welcome back.

Is this by any chance the same computer about which you reported the same issue with longer scan times here and here?

As explained back then, version 2.0 is a more powerful tool that scans in places 1.75 could not.

Also note that changes in the MBAM database can also cause scan times to increase or decrease, so that's another factor to consider. As mentioned => HERE <=

Sometimes a conflict with your antivirus may be possible as well. You may want to try adding exclusions in your AV - the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE. (Sometimes slowdowns are not due to conflicts between MBAM and the AV, per se, but rather to older hardware, insufficient RAM, cluttered disks, excessively tight security settings, etc.)

Having said ALL that, the latest build released a couple of days ago has improved scan times for some users.

Thank You,

daledoc1

Yes this is the same computer as previously reported.

Slightly longer scan times I can deal with and wouldnt be wasting anyones time. Scan times that are three to four times longer I have a problem with. Nothing on the PC has changed between MBAM 1.75 and MBAM 2.0. What has changed is the MBAM software. This PC is brand new as of  December 2013 and has 6GB of RAM.

I will  review the procedure to deinstall and reinstall the newest build.   

Something to keep in mind with deleting temp files before a scan.... If you happen to be infected with one of those rogues that moves your startup items to a temp folder and you delete temp files before a scan, you will essentially be removing all your Start Menu Items. Then you will make matters worst.

Only delete temp files if you know your not infected.

Just to add another thought in to the mix. The amount of temp files will increase scan times. For example I ran ccleaner and removed 12 gigs of temp files from a customers computer today. In other words less files to scan. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion but I delete temp files on both PC's once a week prior to running scans. I use CCleaner. 

Hi:

Welcome back.

Thank You,

daledoc1

Someone want to tell me how to uninstall current MBAM version and install new build version please.

Hi:

Detailed instructions for the clean upgrade process are explained in the link under #1 below: :)

If step #1 does not resolve your issue, please proceed with the instructions at the link in step #2 and post back the requested logs.

Thank You,

daledoc1

P.S. If you could please use the vEsOWqp.png button, instead of the JlJ2Op6.png button, it would be easier for everyone to follow the thread. Thanks! :)

Hi:

Welcome back.

Thank You,

daledoc1

If its any help just about all the increase in the scan time is in the heuristic analysis. This process has become painfully slow. 

Hi:

Have you cleanly upgraded to 2.0.2.1012, following all the steps here?

Have you set mutual exclusions between MBAM and your antivirus (AV) -- this shouldn't be strictly necessary if you are running MBAM Free, but it won't hurt to do so.

If so, and you would like help, then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs

Also, please post back as an attachment one of your recent scan logs.

The staff/experts will review them and try to determine what might be going on.

Thank you,

daledoc1

P.S. If you could please use the vEsOWqp.png button, instead of the JlJ2Op6.png button, it would be easier for everyone to follow the thread. Thanks! :)

For the time being I've decided NOT to upgrade to 2.0.2 as there seem to be many issues with the release as illustrated by the numerous posts in this forum. 

Just for the heck of it today I ran a Hyper scan expecting faster completion times. Keep in mind this is a pretty bare bone system with few apps and files. The Hyper scan took 9 minutes to complete barely faster than the threat scan. The slowest part of the process was the heuristic analysis. Can the heuristic analysis be turned off?    

Hi,

Well, that's certainly up to you, of course. :)
Faster scan times is just one of the many fixes with 2.0.2.1012.
A clean upgrade to that build, plus mutual exclusions with the AV/firewall in some cases, has resolved most scan time problems.

(FWIW Please bear in mind that there are several million users of MBAM PREMIUM -- trouble reports at a company support forum will always skew the impression of the number of users with issues.  As in the past, upgrading to a newer build fixes the problems for some. Others are infected (and don't know it), or are experiencing hardware issues, software conflicts, system configuration issues, or other problems.  It really isn't always the "fault" of the software. ;) )

We have likewise tried several times (e.g. here and here) to explain the many, many factors that contribute to scan times.

I'm only a home user and forum volunteer.

But I am confident that the staff and experts could get MBAM 2.0.2.1012 running well on your system, if you will work with them.
The first step, as already mentioned, would be some Diagnostic Logs.

As we are not in front of your computer, that's really the only way any one can provide individualized help.

Again, it's entirely up to you.

Please feel free to post back if you change your mind.

Take care,

For the time being I've decided NOT to upgrade to 2.0.2 as there seem to be many issues with the release as illustrated by the numerous posts in this forum. 

Just for the heck of it today I ran a Hyper scan expecting faster completion times. Keep in mind this is a pretty bare bone system with few apps and files. The Hyper scan took 9 minutes to complete barely faster than the threat scan. The slowest part of the process was the heuristic analysis. Can the heuristic analysis be turned off?    

Just installed 2.0.2.1012 and scans are running much better. All sins forgiven!