MBAM Overscanning(?) irregardless of scan settings...

Hey,

I've been using MBAM (paid and free) for more than 5 years and it's always been seemed solid.

A couple of weeksago I installed the free vs w/out using the free trial option. When doing a 'custom' scan I can uncheck everything, no memory objects, no r/kits, no startup objects, heuristics etc... and select a folder on my desktop with a couple of text files in it and the scanner does it's 'pre-scan-op' routine and then scans something "heuristically" to the count of 239,000 to 241,000 objects in less than 2 minutes. When I look at the detailed view of the log file I cannot see any proof it scanned what I asked it to or any info on the 200,000+ objects it just scanned 'heuristically'. It tells me how long it took, what scan parameters are disabled (everything but file system) even though it scans heuristically it says it's disabled. I can only ASS-U-ME that I'm not coherent enough to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Also, when i use the context menu and choose "scan with Malwa..." the tray icon loads up immediately but it does not scan what I asked it to whether the database was just updated or not. the new UI/dashboard does eventually pop up and allow me to manually scan. In the last version, right-clicking and selecting MBAM would be finished before Avira could even open up.

sorry about the looong post and my spell checker isn't working,

michael clyde

BTW -

se7en x64, Avira Free, Comodo, (F/W only) Sandboxie, Acronis B&R 11.5 Advanced Wrkstn, (nothing in acronis is running, no processes, no svcs) VMWare Wrkstn 10.0.2,(nothing running) Returnil Sys Safe Free,(nothing running) no UAC. they all have been playing together for over 5 years, no problems, no infections, nothing. Even Windows Explorer hasn't crashed in 5 years

Hello and :welcome:

Hard to tell what's going on without knowing what version of Malwarebytes and OS you are using, and without any logs. Lets try this:

Thank You,

Hi:

Until Firefox returns...

It's great that 1.75 is working for you.

However, please be aware that it's not a good long-term solution.

For one thing, version 2.x is a better tool:

The reason to use the newer version is that it has built-in rootkit scanning (1.75 does not), it has a new text parsing engine to address special threats targeted by using configuration files (1.75 does not), and it has built-in Self Protection (1.75 does not). It can detect and remove some threats that 1.75 cannot.

For another, support for version 1.75 will end eventually.  So, it would be advisable to permit the staff to assist you with getting 2.0 to run on your system. Otherwise, you will be out of luck when 1.75 support ends.

The troubleshooting steps suggested by Firefox here work for the vast majority users whose systems are not infected or otherwise damaged.

So, if you change your mind, please consider upgrading to the current build or posting the requested diagnostic logs.  Someone will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

daledoc1