MWB and SCCM/ using install package in task sequence

We are trying to add MWB to our standard computer image as a task sequence in SCCM.  The problem is that it keeps asking for user response, even if we try to do it silently.

Now PUSHING MWB to users goes silently just fine, but not when we try to add it in our image.

She is using a .exe package we created///would a .msi be better for this?

thx

• Root Admin

Well it should run silently so my guess is that some part in the script may not be set correctly is all.

A little different but here is a sample script for the Business version of MBAM.

'Sample VBScript to install Malwarebytes - Only an example - testing and modification will be required.On Error Resume NextstrComputer = "."Set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")Set objFilesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")If objFilesys.FileExists("C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe") ThenobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe"" /register xxxxx-xxxxx yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy"),0,TrueobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe"" /update"),0,TrueobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe""  /install /silent"),0,TrueElseobjShell.Run ("C:\DOWNLOAD\mbam-setup-1.75.0.1300.exe" & " /VERYSILENT /SUPRESSMSGBOXES /NOCANCEL"),0,TrueobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe"" /register xxxxx-xxxxx yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy"),0,TrueobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamapi.exe"" /update"),0,TrueobjShell.Run ("""C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes"&Chr(39)&" Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe""  /install /silent"),0,TrueEnd IfSet objShell = NothingSet objFilesys = Nothing

Hey Cleatus,

While I am not intimately familiar with SCCM, you will probably want to use a MSI package and pass the standard silent switches for it ( /qn .)  I have had customers use that with success.

As for imaging goes, Ron is correct in that it isn't supported, so it will be difficult to troubleshoot issues related to that.

• 5 weeks later...

AdvancedSetup and Lazz,

You are hurting your product by saying that "imaging is not supported," especially imaging with SCCM.  Please STOP saying that.

When your customers say "imaging," they don't always mean copying an existing installed partition to new hardware.  That's not how SCCM works.

SCCM uses a Task Sequence process, which installs a base Windows image, then installs software from .exe or .msi or scripts or whatever you want it to do.  The "Malwarebytes Managed Client" is installed from an .exe or .msi, just like it would be if done manually.  There is no reason this should be "unsupported" especially when your biggest potential customers are all using this process.

We install "Malwarebytes Managed Client" as part of the SCCM Task Sequence on all new computers and it works perfectly.  We also push it out as a package to existing PCs.

I love your product, so please stop posting things that hurt it which will be read by potential customers looking at these forums.

Nick

• Root Admin

I suppose terminology of imaging is the issue here as it really is not called imaging its packaging and yes that works. However as I read the post he made it sound like they were going to update clients and then make an image of it. The task to install MBAM can be setup as part of the image but not the completed install of MBAM.

Thank you for your input Nick.

Yes, exactly, terminology is the problem.  But since every SCCM admin I know calls it "imaging" when it is not actually a scripted "Task Sequence," I want you to be aware of that, and not tell them that they can't install MBAM as part of their "imaging" process.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

We use the MSI as part of our task sequence in SCCM and it works beautifully.

To OP: Create a Package with the Client Setup MSI in the source location, and create a program with the following install command: msiexec /i "clientSetup.msi" /qn and add it in the state restore phase when you install all of your other applications. 

The MSI can be generated in the MalwareBytes Management console by going to the Policy Tab. Select a policy to generate the msi from, and at the bottom of the Console, click the Installation Package button. Fill in the save directory, and what group to put the client that uses the package in, and then select the Create a MSI file option.

Feel free to ping me if you're having trouble creating the package @therealjoshuad

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I don't know if this will be seen with the age of this thread, but I'm running into problems deploying the ClientSetup.msi that I have created through Lansweeper.  I believe it fails because it's not being run as administrator, but that is not possible to set the run as administrator option on an MSI as it's being deployed through Lansweeper.  We don't have any problems with any of our other MSI's so I'm curious if anyone else has run into this problem?