What's Your Most Malware Infection Record?

AndrewGeo

Hello, Well I've Created This Topic To See Which Is The Highest Number of Infected Registry Keys, Folders, Files etc.
I'm Really Careful With My PC As A VB Programmer. My Highest Is 5 (3 Folders; 1 File, 1 Reg. Key) And Of Course I got Rid Of Them Thanks To Malwarebytes Anti-Malware :D . My System Hasn't Been Infected For 5 Months. But, Some Friends of Mine Are Not Careful At All, The First One I Visited Scored 372 (Full of Trojans, Rootkits etc.) :blink:  and The Second One Scored 653! (Thanks To God Only 3 Trojans Found, The Rest of Them Were PUPs) And The Last One 582! (Every Type Of Malware Was In His System, I'm Surprised It Could Boot!!).
Well, What's Yours Highest Infection Score?

Wow, 2.000 !!!! It's a miracle it was able to boot! I must have been 10x times faster after disinfection.....
About Shared PCs That's True and They Often Have No Anti-malware anti-virus software or they are trial versions
Firefox, 1 is too many..... I totally agree with you my friend!

4000? :blink:
Seriously? Were You Able To Boot Normally or Did You Used Safe Mode?
What Kind of Malware? Hope not Trojans, RATs, Spyware... just PUPs right? Otherwise it couldn't have booted normally

4000? :blink:

Seriously? Were You Able To Boot Normally or Did You Used Safe Mode?

What Kind of Malware? Hope not Trojans, RATs, Spyware... just PUPs right? Otherwise it couldn't have booted normally

Everything under the sun, and no it didn't boot properly, we was able to get the task manager to open up. From there we was able to force a new process open from the USB stick and run some scans.

Everything under the sun, and no it didn't boot properly, we was able to get the task manager to open up. From there we was able to force a new process open from the USB stick and run some scans.

I was sure It Wouldn't...

Your Most Difficult PC Malware Disinfection, right?

43K + - but you need some background information.

Back in the late 90s, on a 486 SX25 machine, I had dual HDs, a 425 MB and an 850 MB.  I used and loved PKZip to archive all of my files, and for whatever reason, I loved using the self extraction feature that was relatively new with the PK Tools.

I was infected by the 'lizard' virus, {something}.lzh, a particularly nasty piece of software code that infected the command.com on my Win 95/98 machine and then proceeded to replicate itself in every single executable file (.com and .exe) on all of my drives.

Every.

Single.

One.

You'll be surprised what got me cleaned up - NAV 4.5 :P

I got lucky - it was cleanable, and although the self extraction feature was permanently broken from all of my archives, the archives themselves could still be extracted.

I stopped using the self-extracting feature unless it was necessary after that, and I started delving into keeping my computer safer from that point on.

I was infected by the 'lizard' virus, {something}.lzh, a particularly nasty piece of software code that infected the command.com on my Win 95/98 machine and then proceeded to replicate itself in every single executable file (.com and .exe) on all of my drives.

so you had a real virus ..... a file infector, Malwarebytes does not detect these...

so you had a real virus ..... a file infector, Malwarebytes does not detect these...

Considering the timeframe I mentioned, MBAM also didn't exist when I was infected, so I doubt it would have had the opportunity to infect it in the first place :P

.LZH files are actually an Archive file type that does go back to DOS days of around 1990.  Presumably there was a .COM file in that LZH Compressed file.

Yes, I know.  But alas, my memory escapes me as to the actual name of the virus that I had been infected with.

Lempel-Ziv-Haruyasu (LZH) compression algorithm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LHA_%28file_format%29

Yup, I know that - I'm only recalling the part of the virus name that I actually remember.

Cleaning it took a few hours at the most, but the aftermath, of extracting all of the archives I had made and re-archiving them (without the self-extraction module this time) took days....

Also, looking back on it, I had a Pentium 200 as of 1996, so this is potentially 20 years ago now.

My record was on my friend's computer in June 2012. He had a total of 2,493 infections, most of which were PUMs and those annoying Trojan.Agent.** infections. For some reason, his went away with a single scan, now, mine won't go away at all. I've heard higher records from some of my friends, but most I found implausible, like 11,000+.

1 is one too many.... ;)

Wow, 2.000 !!!! It's a miracle it was able to boot! I must have been 10x times faster after disinfection.....

About Shared PCs That's True and They Often Have No Anti-malware anti-virus software or they are trial versions

Firefox, 1 is too many..... I totally agree with you my friend!

True and it was fast but faster after disinfection but was 100x faster because of a fake computer company which installed all the infections and I'm surprised that they were still in business!!!!

• 1 month later...

I've Been Away For A While (I Had To Change Internet Provider Company and Took Sometime)
Yesterday, I Was Visiting A Friend Of Mine, He Had Reinstalled Windows 7 Because The Previous Installation Was Not Genuine.
He Had NO Antivirus Software Since January, I Downoaded and Installed MBAM, Performed A Hyper Scan....and.......
It Found 1744 Infected Files! Luckily, all Of Them Were PUPs. He Rebooted And His PC Screen Was Black....
Restarted In Safe Mode, I Did A Scan Once Again (Threat Scan) Found A Couple of PUPs but Now  Problem Fixed.
Furthermore, Instead of Being Worried About His Computer's Health, We Were Laughing All Time As The Number Of The Infected Files Was Rising :P