Infected - Malwarebytes wont open, Run-time error '372'

Please download GrantPerms and save it to your desktop.

Select GrantPerms.exe (32bit system) or GrantPerms64.exe (64bit system)

Unzip to your Desktop, open the folder and run the tool.

Copy and paste the following in the edit box:

C:\\

Click List Permissions and post the result (Perms.txt) that pops up. A copy of Perms.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Did the Grantperms...the following is the log file...

c8w

GrantPerms by Farbar
Ran by c8w (administrator) at 2014-05-21 17:29:30

===============================================
\\?\C:\

Owner: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

DACL(P)(AI):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   FULL   ALLOW   (NI)
   BUILTIN\Administrators   FULL   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)(IO)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM   FULL   ALLOW   (NI)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM   FULL   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)(IO)
   BUILTIN\Users   READ/EXECUTE   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)
   NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users   change   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)(IO)
   NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users   ADD SUBDIRECTORY   ALLOW   (NI)

================ End Of List ================

Run Grantperms one more time.

Copy and paste the following in the edit box:

C:\\

Click Unlock. When it is done click "OK".

Click List Permissions and post the result (Perms.txt) that pops up. A copy of Perms.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Let me see that log,

Run the cleanup tool for Malwarebytes, after the re-boot try to install again...

Ran Grantperms again, unlocked, then list permissions...log is below. Will now try the clean and install..

c8w

----------------

GrantPerms by Farbar
Ran by c8w (administrator) at 2014-05-21 18:18:21

===============================================
\\?\C:\

Owner: BUILTIN\Administrators

DACL(P)(AI):
   BUILTIN\Administrators   FULL   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM   FULL   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)
   BUILTIN\Users   READ/EXECUTE   ALLOW   (CI)(OI)

================ End Of List ================

Nope, no luck - still basically the same problem. Ran mbam-clean, rebooted...then tried to install malware bytes, it gave the first Runtime Error (but not the second Runtime error this time)...and then tried to launch and failed, giving the same Application Error and terminating the operation...

Nothing really seems to be fixing this :-( Are there any options left, other than a complete reboot and hoping for the best (not sure if even that would work?)

c8w

Download and save http://http:\\www.ma.../mbam-clean.exe

Download and save http://downloads.mal...s.org/file/mbam

Go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 expand the option for Windows 7, follow the instructions and run your system in a "Clean Boot Mode"

When your system is running in that mode, run mbam-clean.exe. The system will re-boot when the cleaner completes. It will still be in Clean Boot mode.

Run the Malwarebytes installer, any improvement? if none, open the link for clean boot instructions and return to "Normal Boot mode" then do the following:

Select Windows key and R key together. Into the run box type regedit tap enter, Registry Editor will open.....

Expand the following key :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > safer > codeidentifiers > 0

Do not expand the folder 0 Right click on that folder and choose "Export" save that to your desktop.

From the desktop right click on the reg file > select > send to > compressed (zipped) folder....

Attach to next reply,

Thanks,

Kevin

No luck...

1) Downloaded mbam-clean, malwarebytes, then got computer into Clean Boot mode and ran mbam-clean, then tried to install malwarebytes...no luck, exactly same error messages and before and refused to install.

2) Put computer back in Normal Boot mode, and went to Registry Editor. Expanded the keys as instructed..all was expanding fine - Microsoft, then Windows, then safer, then codeidentifiers...

on expanding codeidentifiers, the options are

Name ab (Default) Type REG_SZ Data (value not set)

Name authenticodeenabled Type REG_DWORD Data 0x00000000 (0)

Thats it, those are the only 2 options - there is no "0" folder per se... so didnt export and send to you.. (If you need me to send the authenticodeenabled file, let me know..)

c8w

Downloaded it, but the fixit tool would not run...window pops up saying

Microsoft Fix it

Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred

We're sorry, but the program encountered a runtime error. Please try again later.

[Code 80040402]

c8w

Go here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7 follow the instructions to create a new user account, either expand "My computer is on a Domain" or "My computer is in a  work group" Probably the second one will apply to you. Give it admin status.

Before you proceed to copy files to the new account see if you can install Malwarebytes in that account....

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.

Double-click mbam-setup and follow the prompts to install the program.
At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
Click Finish.
On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.
When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In most cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Kevin....

Nope :-(

Went to the link, to "my computer is in a workgroup"...clicked on User Accounts and Family Safety, then on User Accounts, then on Manage another account..

The "User account control" box pops up. It says:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes on this computer?

Program name: User accounts control panel

Verified publisher: Microsoft

I click on "yes"....and thats it. Nothing happens, just sits there. Does not give me the option to "create a new account" as it is supposed to...

c8w

This proving to be a right old PIA... Can you do the following:

Do you have access to another PC to create the Widows Defender Offline Tool, I give the instructions to load to a USB flash drive.

Download the tool from here :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline and save to the Desktop.

You will have to select the correct version for your system, either 32 or 64 bit

Run the tool, Windows 7 or Vista user right click and select "Run as Administrator"

Read the instructions in the new window and select "Next"

WD2.png

In the new window accept the agreement:

WD2a.png

In the new window select your USB Flash Drive, then select "Next"

WD3.png

In the new window ensure you Flash drive is selected, if not click on "Refresh" then select "Next"

WD3a.png

In the new window accept the formatting alert by selecting "Next"

WD3b.png

Files will be Downloaded:

WD4.png

Files will be processed and created

WD5.png

Flash drive will be formatted and prepared

WD6.png

Files will be added to the Flash Drive and the tool will be created.

WD7.png

The procedure is finished and the Tool created, click on "Finish" to complete.

WD8.png

Plug the USB into the sick PC and boot up, if it does not boot from the flash drive change the boot options as required,  Use F12 as it boots, change options...

As it boots you`ll see files being loaded and the windows splash screen, eventually the tool will run a "Quick Scan" follow the prompts and deal with what it finds.

When complete do a full scan, deal with what it finds.

When finished, remove the USB stick then press the Esc key to boot into regular windows.

Navigate to the following file:

"C:\Windows\Windows Defender Offline\Support\MPLog-MM/DD/YYYY-HH/MM/SS .txt"

Open with notepad and copy and paste it into a reply.

I can try doing that sometime, tho it will be a bit of a pain...

Meanwhile - on searching, I found that my computer claims I still have Windows Defender on it, but that its turned off still... can I just try to use that, run it? Or dont, and just do it offline on a different computer, download it, and bring that back to this one?

c8w

Windows Defender Offline is different to the version you have installed on your system. The offline version is run from outside of windows so that any possible Malware/Infection is not active and therefor can be found and removed.

The instructions I posted do ask that if possible to create the tool on another PC, I give steps to create the tool on a USB Flash drive, it can also be loaded to a CD if you prefer, steps are more or less the same, only select CD instead of USB Flash drive...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!