MBAM 2.0 re-install

Previously I had attempted to install the latest beta version of MBAM 2.0.2.1007 into my new computer-(may 2nd). The installation went fine and the program was working correctly as I have been using the program-(in its earlier version, from 1.38 up to 1.75). I am running Windows 8 on my new computer and have McAfee LiveSafe pre-installed on it, which includes Mcafee Sec'y Ctr v/12.8, McAfee A/V & Anti-Spyware ver 16.8, McAfee Personal Firewall v/13.8, Mcafee Parental Controls v/14.8, McAfee Quik-Clean & Shredder v/12.8, and McAfee Vulnerability scanner v/2.8). After the initial install on the 2nd, after a couple of hours I noticed none of my installed web-browsers could connect to the internet. I uninstalled the program, used the cleaning tool as well, and used a Windows restore Point to restore my system. This resolved the browser connectivity problem. After several inquiries, I was advised by your Malware Removal staff to run AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool to clean the malware off my system-(including two browser hi-jackers).There were several infections and a number of files affected, including those on my web-browsers. This was completely successful, and my browsers are working fine at this time. I believe this may have been the issue blocking the browsers, rather than the MBAM installation. I would like to go ahead and try to reinstall the MBAM program-(whichever beta version is currently available) in order to supplement my McAfee program. My questions are;

do I need to disable McAfee while doing the MBAM install? Since it's been awhile that I manually installed any version of this program, are there settings in this latest version-(exclusions)to prevent the program from interfering with other program-(e.g; browsers, my McAfee, etc). I also noticed a delay function on the initial install that can be set up to several minutes-(default setting was 15 seconds though). Does this need to be set at a specific time so as not to interfere with Mcafee loading? This was the issue with the original MBAM-(version 1.38) that I first purchased, MBAM & McAfee then were trying to load at the same time. I was advised by your support staff at that time to install a zip-delay file to install into the registry to delay the MBAM loading for 2 additional minutes. This pretty well solved my problem with that earlier version. Any information would be appreciated, thank you!!!

do I need to disable McAfee while doing the MBAM install?

Yes, as advised in the tutorial >>HERE<< it's generally a "best practice" to "pause protection" or temporarily disable one's AV during the MBAM install.

It's different for each AV, but it can usually be done by right-clicking the system tray icon and selecting "pause" or "disable" from the menu.

Be sure to enable your AV after you have installed MBAM.

You might want to print out the removal/reinstall instructions for reference during the process.

Since it's been awhile that I manually installed any version of this program, are there settings in this latest version-(exclusions)to prevent the program from interfering with other program-(e.g; browsers, my McAfee, etc).

Yes, you can set the Malware exclusions in MBAM for McAfee, as explained in the user guide >>here<<.

Just add the McAfee folder to the malware exclusions.

See the attached screen shot of my Malware Exclusions for my AV (KIS) and for Carbonite, as an illustration.

Post back after you get it installed and we'll explain which MBAM files to exclude in McAfee.

I also noticed a delay function on the initial install that can be set up to several minutes-(default setting was 15 seconds though). Does this need to be set at a specific time so as not to interfere with Mcafee loading? This was the issue with the original MBAM-(version 1.38) that I first purchased, MBAM & McAfee then were trying to load at the same time. I was advised by your support staff at that time to install a zip-delay file to install into the registry to delay the MBAM loading for 2 additional minutes. This pretty well solved my problem with that earlier version. Any information would be appreciated, thank you!!!

Not necessarily.

It depends on the hardware/software/configuration of your particular computer.

If it's a newer system with lots of memory, it ought not to be needed.

If you are concerned about a potential startup conflict with McAfee, you can certainly enable that delay for MBAM.

HTH for starters,

daledoc1

post-29793-0-26424100-1399838405_thumb.p

Okay, if I'm understanding you correctly then I should be doing this in this order?

1. run MBAM-clean to remove anything from 1st installation

2. disable McAfee A/V temporarily prior to re-install

3. install free MBAM version

4. activate Premium MBAM program upgrade with my previously purchased key Code # and ID #'s

5. Set Malware exclusions to include the McAfee folder- (example; C;\Program Files(x86)\McAfee (*I'm also finding a separate folder from this on C/Drive listed as "mcAfee.com, should I include this folder as well?) I assume not to exclude my web-browsers, since this would make them prone to be infected again.

6. re-enable Mcafee A/V program

Sorry for the questions, I just want to try and do this correctly the first time. I've used MBAM in earlier versions for past 5years and am very satisfied with it!!! Thanks!!!

Hi:

Yes, that's the basic idea.

Just follow the steps in the tutorial.

Be sure to download and save to your desktop the mbam-clean tool and the MBAM 2.x installer first, BEFORE disabling your AV -- you don't want to go out to the internet without your AV protection enabled.

Note: If you have already removed MBAM from your system, then there's no need, per se, to run mbam-clean. (And it might cough up an error if you try to run it on a system without MBAM installed, though I'm not sure.)

After you get MBAM reinstalled and activated, post back and let us know.

Someone will help you with the MBAM exclusions to set in McAfee.

One other wrinkle:  It used to be the case with SOME versions and flavors of McAfee products that MBAM PRO/Premium could not run alongside McAfee in real-time.

Usually, when the AV vendors make that assertion, it's based more on marketing than on true incompatibility.

However, there were some known issues with McAfee and MBAM PRO a while back.

I don't know if that is still the case with the current versions of McAfee and MBAM.

It *might* be worth checking over at the McAfee forums before you start the process, just to be sure. Here is the link: https://community.mcafee.com/community/home  <just a thought>

Thanks,

daledoc1

I've installed the MBAM program successfully, and upgraded it to the Premium version with my previously purchased key and id #'s. There was no problem with it loading during Windows boot-up and it appears to be working fine. You did mention you would advise which MBAM files to exclude in McAfee, if you could do so, I'd appreciate it. Also I noticed in the Advanced Settings for the program the "enable self-protection module" was unchecked. Should this option be enabled to complete by full protection with the program. I've seen mention of this feature previously but didn't look into that then because I was involved in my malware removal. Any information would be appreciated!!!  Thanks!!! 

Hi:

Below are the general instructions for the MBAM files to exclude in McAfee.

Doing so is not always strictly necessary, but it can be a good idea to be "proactive" to minimize potential conflicts.

As for MBAM Self-Protection: It's disabled by default and by design.  Enabling it can help to protect MBAM from being "broken" by malware.  However, enabling it can cause minor issues for users (such as inability to rename or move the MBAM desktop shortcut, trouble with cleanly removing the program, etc).  This is explained here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146011 and in the User Guide >>here<<.

• Enable self-protection module: This setting controls whether Malwarebytes Anti-Malware creates a safe zone to prevent malicious manipulation of the program and its components. Checking this box introduces a delay as the self-protection module is enabled. While not a negative, the delay may be considered undesirable by some users. When unchecked, the "early start" option which follows is disabled.
  • Enable self-protection early start: When the self-protection module is enabled, you may choose to enable or disable this option. When enabled, the self-protection module will become enabled earlier in the computer's boot process — essentially changing the order of services and drivers associated with your computer's startup.

Bottom line, it's not generally necessary to enable it.

If you choose to do so, just be mindful of the need to disable it before doing certain MBAM tasks.

Cheers,

daledoc1

-------------------------------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software - follow the steps for your version of Windows:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32-bit Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64-bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well.

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Okay, I'll leave the Self-Protection Module unchecked. Also I just tried going thru my Mcafee program to exclude those program files from MBAM from the list you provided and I'm getting a windows in McAfee stating "The item cannot be excluded because its a critical system file or folder and can cause a serious security problem".  There is an "OK" button to merely acknowledge this, but nothing else, are you familiar with this with McAfee?   Thanks!!!

Also in regards to placing the McAfee program folder into MBAM's exclusion list, I'm seeing two McAfee folders on my C/Drive, one is under C:/Program Files/mcafee, lists it as 129MB in size, with 706 files and 160 folders. The other folder is listed under;  C:/Program Files (x86)/McAfee  and is only 17.2mb in size, with approx. 284 files and 6 folders. It appears to me the first one is probably the main folder due to its size and all the sub-folders which appear to be all the installed components of that program-(folders; virusscan, data, update, etc). I could probably place both in the exclusion list, can you advise?  I've included a couple screen-capture pics to show both. Thanks!!!

Yes, whatever the main program file folders for McAfee might be, I would just add them.

It looks like you're on a 64-bit system and McAfee installs to both the x64 and x86 folders.

As far as adding MBAM exclusions in McAfee, some flavors of McAfee might not have that feature or might not permit it.

I'll need to defer to a staff member or a forum member familiar with McAfee products on that.

Or you might want to inquire at the McAfee forum (link is in my earlier reply).

Having said that, if both programs are cooperating and there are no performance problems without those exclusions, you might be just fine.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Yes, I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 8, 64 bit version. I will add both those McAfee folders to MBAM's exclusion list. As for the McAfee problem I mentioned, I'll check at the forums group whose link you provided, but I would appreciate it if you could consult on that issue and let me know, I'd really appreciate it!!! It seems so far that everything is working really well pertaining to the install, and no problems have occurred thus far. Thanks for all your assistance so far!!!! :)