One of my 32GB flash drives became infected. I suspect it was from a site I'm not accustomed to downloading from.

Anyway, I saw chinese symbols in folders that weren't there before. The infection corrupted all but 3 folders. I believe there were 6-7 folders to begin with. I immediately opened Malwarebytes and did a full scan of the flash drive. It found 9 items, removed them and I had to restart my laptop.

Some of the characters were still visible after the restart so I was remained concerned. I removed the flash drive then re-inserted it. My laptop had a bit of difficulty accessing it so I did a scan to repair files and fix problems (not Malwarebytes). The scan reported it fixed problems. All but the three folders were gone which is fine. I can just get the files again. I no longer see any chinese characters/symbols.

Am I in the clear? I'm currently running a full system scan with Malwarebytes. If it too is clear, should I consider my system safe?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kayla

Do you still need assistance? There's no way to assess if you are clean without the necessary logs to start the review process.

Please see I'm infected - What do I do now? and post a log from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware if you need assistance.

The simple process of inserting an infected flash drive into a system has the capability to infect that system. Please see this article on how to turn off Autoplay:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/174838-autoplay-turn-off.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

I did a scan to repair files and fix problems (not Malwarebytes)

What program did you use?

My system is clean. I did a full scan of my system with MalwareBytes and my anti-virus. The usb stick is toast but that's fine, a lesson learned. I will stick to the two brands that have never failed me. I'll also try to be more careful about sites I download from.

Thanks.

Since this issue is resolved I will close the thread to prevent others from posting here. If you need assistance please start your own topic and someone will be happy to assist you.