Scan Policy Needs a Re-Write!

I am a Premium user of MBAM 2. I have been using MBAM for quite a while, but I STILL cannot understand the Scheduler.

Here is what I think I know about scheduled scans and updates:

• Scans/updates start at random times, not at times that a user schedules.
  • Scans/updates stop whenever the computer enters sleep or hibernation.
  • Scans/updates do not start if the computer is in a sleep or hibernation state.
  • There is no way (in MBAM 2.0) to use the Windows Task scheduler to run scheduled MBAM tasks.

Put these items together and we have a perfect storm...scans do not get run on many computers with aggressive energy policies.

I would heartily recommend that MBAM abandon the scheduler that it has developed and use the Window Task Scheduler which a) runs at the EXACT user selected times, b) can wake a computer to run a scheduled task, and c) can keep the computer awake until the task is complete.

My experience about MBAM scheduler is not good. It is not reliable.  The benefits of the MBAM Premium license are auto-scanning and auto-updating.  It does neither well. 

• Root Admin

There is a 15 minute randomization for the database updates but not the scans. Updates will be within + or - 15 minutes of the set time.  Scans run when they're set unless set to to database update at the same time.

That is true of all software to some degree but as long as power management allows it can be awakened to run a task

That's up to your computers power management. If working properly it should be able to awaken the computer to run (not my recommendation but some people seem to want it)

That is correct as it does not currently support commandline input. This will be added back in a future program update

Possibly but again this is a Windows power management issue normally.  We send a command and that is all we can do, we do not manage power management for the computer

The opposite - we abandoned the Task Scheduler as we had quite a few support tickets even from administrators from companies that simply did not understand or know how to properly setup Windows Tasks either. The product is targeted mainly for home users and the vast majority don't even know what the Windows Task Scheduler is.  We have another product for business users.

I think in my opinion it is due to your reliance on awakening the computer. I have several computers that run automated updates and scans completely silent and automated and not one of them has had a failure in weeks. I will submit to our internal team to see if they can duplicate an issue of not waking from sleep to run a task.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think that I should have to set my computer's power management policy to conform to MBAM's scheduler!  If MBAM is supposed to run on a schedule, then it should a) WAKE my computer, if necessary to run the scan that I scheduled, b) finish the scan that I scheduled before returning my computer to its sleep/wake preference.

MBAM can acknowledge that the computer requests a change of state from wake to sleep. It either does not do so, or does know how to deny the request for a change of state.

What I think you are saying is: "MBAM will run scans only if the computer is awake and stays awake for the duration of the scan...plan your computer's sleep/hibernation schedule at your own risk."

Is the tail wagging the dog?

• Root Admin

No what I'm saying is that the Microsoft Windows Operating System is in charge of Power Management.  Some OEM vendors such as HP, Dell, Sony, etc sometimes (not always) add their own special power management software that is linked to the BIOS/UEFI to control hardware for waking and sleeping. Regular applications in general should not try to manage that, they simply make a call to the API that asks the computer to please wake up and run this task.  If the power management does not respond or does not wake up then there is nothing the application can do about it. There are also 3rd party applications that are designed to take over and do the power management for Windows but again those are specifically for power management and not something that an application like ours would or should be doing.  We had so many users having issues waking the computer to do tasks that the option to wake the computer was removed.  We will be adding command line support back into the product hopefully in version 2.1 then you'll be able to use the Windows Task Scheduler or batch files to perform tasks like this if you want to.

• 2 months later...

I too am frustrated with the random scans. I have the scheduler set to scan at 3:00 am every day. The computer never goes into any sleep mode...

I get to my office and scans start at 8:00 am 1:00pm 3:30pm  all different random times during the day.

When I look up troubleshooting, it states to: Disable the following in "update" scheduler : Run Flash Scan after update: Here's how to schedule a scan : Blank after that.

This is from the company website dated 4/5/2014

First of all, under the update tab, there is no "Run Flash Scan After Update" to click, nor is there any option for this in the scheduler tab.

Second of all, the "Here's how to schedule a scan" with nothing after that is puzzling. Incomplete webpage on company site....

Great product... confusing support.

Hi, @huge321:

This sounds a bit wonky -- perhaps you are running 2.0, but previously consulted support documents that were written for version 1.75 and hadn't yet been updated?

As this specific issue is unrelated to the Topic Starter's original problem, I expect that the moderator team may split off your post to its own, separate topic.
That way, you can receive individual attention. :)

In the interim, just to clarify, yes, in version 2 (which is currently released only for the Consumer version for use on personal home computers -- the Business version is still on 1.75), scheduled SCANS will be randomized +/- 15 minutes of the scheduled time, but ONLY if the option  to "check for updates before scanning" is enabled (see screen shot).  If that option is disabled, then a scheduled scan should run at the exact scheduled time, as long as the computer's Windows Power Management will allow it to do so.

If that is NOT what you are seeing, then I would suggest starting with some routine troubleshooting:

• Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and post back attached to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

post-29793-0-63314600-1406122068_thumb.p