No anti-rootkit updates ?

Hi.

I have a small question I would like answered.

I am running MBAM v2.0.1.1004 and have rootkit scanning enabled.

However I noticed in my scan logs that it is still using rootkit database v2014.03.27.01.

I have not received a single update for the rootkit database since the day I installed v2.0.

If I have rootkit scanning enabled aren't the rootkit signatures supposed to be updated multiple times a day same as the malware signatures ?

• Root Admin

I would recommend you follow the advice below please and let us know how that goes.

1. Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue or not. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. Please try installing the new beta which has corrected some previously reported issues: - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2 Public Beta
  3. If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs
  4. NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here: - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

• Root Admin

Yes, that is correct and I'm sorry I overlooked that part of the message. Just trying to get user onto the latest build as it fixes many reported issues.

As for the Anti-Rootkit database that is correct it is not updated daily like the main program.  If that is your only concern then there is no issue, but again I would still highly suggest you get onto the latest beta build.

Cheers

Hmmm... well my only issue right now is the apparent lack of updates for the rootkit database.

The main database is updating every hour like normal (right now it's 2014.5.2.02)

But even if you don't issue rootkit updates (for MBAM) as often, it can't be right that the last rootkit update for MBAM 2 was back in March !

It kind of renders the rootkit scan worthless if the database is five weeks out of date.

Can you not update the rootkit database several times a day like you do with the stand-alone MBAR Beta ?

I would assume that by integrating rootkit scanning into the main program you would simply use the same signature database as MBAR and issue updates as frequently too.

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I was a bit confused because I have tested Anti-Rootkit Beta in the past and I know that there are (or were) database updates several times a day for that program and I assumed that it would be the same for MBAM now that you have integrated rootkit scanning into it.

Lastly then, can you please confirm that v2014.03.27.01 was the last rootkit update issued for MBAM ?

• Root Admin

Yes that is the last one. The stand alone beta was different in that it was actually updating the normal scan engine as it would use that as part of the scanning process.  Just works a little differently now is all.

You're good to go.  I'll go ahead and close this topic now.

Take care