New MBAM install on new computer

Hello! It's been quite awhile since I have consulted the MBAM forums regarding your program. I previously purchased MBAM back in June 2009-(version 1.38), for my old computer. I was running Windows Vista and also had McAfee Security Center-(already pre-installed). Looking back on my logbook I kept on that computer I noted that after several months the program starting acting up by not loading properly. According to my notes this started immediately after I upgraded my version of the McAfee Sec'y Center program. Eventually I consulted the MBAM forums and was advised to download a delay file-(in zip format) to install in my Windows registry to cause the loading of the MBAM program to be delayed by approx. 2 minutes during Windows boot-up, so as not to attempt to load at roughly the same time as my McAfee program. This seemed to correct the problem at that time, and I was able to upgrade it and my McAfee programs w/o any further significant problems from that time on. My old computer however crashed a few months ago, and I have replaced it with a new computer-(running Windows 8, and having McAfee LiveSafe pre-installed). The LiveSafe program is the only AV program currently installed on the new system, however I would like to supplement it with a good anti-malware program such as MBAM. My questions are; I have gone thru the instructions listed in your FAQ section pertaining to transferring my MBAM license to my new computer-(cleaned the old computer with MBAM-Clean, and DL'ed the new MBAM version-(version 2.0.1.1004) onto my desktop of the new computer. My concerns are from what I'm reading here in the forums concerning this newest version and its various glitches. I have noticed there is also a recent beta version for 2.0 apparently just released that supposedly addresses a number of these recent problems. Should I be installing this newer beta version instead? Also it appears from my notes that I disabled the McAfee program-(especially the AV scanner) to install the MBAM previously, then reactivated the McAfee after the MBAM installation was completed, I'm assuming this would be the proper procedure for this new version as well?   Also from what I previously advised I had to install a delay file into the registry to delay MBAM from trying to load during boot-up at that same time as McAfee, is this still currently an issue when having MBAM installed on your system in addition to having the McAfee software also installed? Sorry for all the questions, but with a brand new computer that's running extremely well I'd prefer to keep it running as efficiently as possible with a minimum of additional program installs. Any information or thoughts would be appreciated!!!  Thank you!!

Hello and Welcome BACK!

If I were you I would install the new beta to make sure you don't have any issues.

NOTE: You might want to try installing the new beta which has corrected some issues found in the previous release.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2 Public Beta

As for disabling your AV, just try the install without disabling and it should install fine, if it does not then we can try it with it disabled. Also the Delay Protection at startup is now available in the Advanced Setting section should we need to enable it.

The delayed startup file you had previously is no longer needed. If we encounter any issues we can solve them for you.

Thanks

I installed the MBAM program-(the recent beta version that you provided the link to in your earlier response) this evening and the installation went fine. I configured a few settings on it-(mostly pertaining to scheduling scans and when to check for updates). Later on in the evening I attempted to use my internet browser-(I mainly use IE 11, but have Firefox browser as well as a back-up, but instead of any webpage coming up, it just displayed in the browser's window; "the proxy server isn't responding". My internet icon on my taskbar showed connected and my cable modem indicator lights all showed normal. I tried this with both browsers and got the same message. I rebooted and was the same result. The IE11 browser was working fine earlier today as I paid several monthly bills online late this morning and then some regular web-browsing this afternoon and early evening. This was all prior to the MBAM install, however. I finally used a Windows restore point I had created a couple days ago-(28th), to be available prior to the MBAM install in case I had problems installing it. The MBAM worked really well after I got it installed this evening and other than having to learn its new layout and design, posed no problems. After completing the restore point, my IE11 and Firefox browsers both worked fine again. I've made no settings changes to either browser or my internet connection up till now. Prior to using the restore point, I decided to use the MBAM-Clean program you provide and remove everything-(which worked fine). I'm at a loss to understand it, unless MBAM needs to be configured to allow the browser to make it's connection to the server. I like them MBAM program-(I've used it since June 2009 in various version), but I also need my internet connection. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

• Root Admin

Not for our program but for your system there will be.  But, that said it's up to you. If you want us to look into the issue and see if we can help you then you'll need follow the advice so that we can try to determine what's going on. 

I would highly recommend that you follow this advice below which will help us to help you. 

1. Please try the following and let us know if this corrects your issue or not. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. Please try installing the new beta which has corrected some previously reported issues: - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2 Public Beta
  3. If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs
  4. NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here: - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank you again

Ron

Okay, I wasn't aware of that, my bad!! The version that I DL'ed and installed was the latest beta version-(2.0.2.1007 beta), so re-installing it at this point would probably repeat the same problem regarding blocking my web browsers. I went to step #3/Diagnostic Logs option and first DL'ed the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, however upon downloading it, a caution window came up-(*it appears to be from my Windows Firewall, instead of my McAfee A/V), stating this file (FRST64(1).exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm my computer. Also stated the published of this program can't be verified. I'm concerned about installing this file at this point. Can you advise? According to my previous notes for my old computer, which had the earlier versions of MBAM-(1.38 up to 1.75?), I had to go thru a similar procedure and did provide this forum with the logs at that time, however they were unable to determine what the cause was then, but later had me install a small delay zip file to prevent MBAM from loading at the same time as McAfee. This pretty well solved that problem, but it appears this is something different. I'm willing to try the logs to assist you.

• Root Admin

Well the computer does show to be infected as well as possibly driver or software issues and needs to be cleaned.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

System errors:=============Error: (05/02/2014 10:25:04 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The ConvertFilesforFreeUpdt service failed to start due to the following error:%%216Error: (05/01/2014 09:29:41 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The ConvertFilesforFreeUpdt service failed to start due to the following error:%%216Error: (05/01/2014 09:21:16 PM) (Source: Virtual Disk Service) (User: )Description: Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014Error: (05/01/2014 09:21:16 PM) (Source: Virtual Disk Service) (User: )Description: Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014Error: (05/01/2014 09:21:15 PM) (Source: Virtual Disk Service) (User: )Description: Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014Error: (05/01/2014 09:21:15 PM) (Source: Virtual Disk Service) (User: )Description: Unexpected provider failure. Restarting the service may fix the problem. Error code: 8007001F@02000014Error: (05/01/2014 09:19:36 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The Search Protect by Conduit Service service failed to start due to the following error:%%216Error: (05/01/2014 09:17:08 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The Util PlurPush service failed to start due to the following error:%%216Error: (05/01/2014 09:17:08 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The Update PlurPush service failed to start due to the following error:%%216Error: (05/01/2014 09:17:06 PM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )Description: The Level Quality Watcher service failed to start due to the following error:%%216

I went to the link you provided for available assistance for possibly infected systems and chose Option #2/Contact Support via Email. I sent an email message at that time-(MBAM Support Ticket #446173. That was 4 days ago, and it's still listing; "Awaiting assignment to a Support Agent". I read somewhere in these forums that if no response is received for a support request after 48 hours to contact a moderator/administrator regarding same. Can you advise reference this? I have removed the MBAM program with your Clean Removal Process 2X as previously stated, however I still have the infections to clear-(Conduit, etc), and then be able to reinstall the program back in w/o disrupting my internet browsers. Thank you!!!

Yes, I would assume removing the malware first before trying to reinstall the program would be prudent. My McAfee A/V lists Conduit in its database, but lists it as adware and apparently doesn't have a detection definition for that particular malware. I've been using my Internet Explorer browser, but going thru a special website short-cut icon that I made that goes straight to my favorite website-(a digital art group that I'm a member of the past 3 years)-(instead of using my regular IE10 icon on the taskbar). When I use my IE browser thru my shortcut icon, it works normally, however yesterday I tried the IE browser thru the regular IE icon on the taskbar and it displayed the Conduit/Search site-(instead of my regular Time-Warner homepage). This is what was mentioned on what the Conduit malware does, hijacking my browser functions, but I'm not noticing it if I use that website s/cut icon I created myself. If we can get this malware removed, then I'd like to continue on with getting the MBAM installed, although I'm concerned about the program blocking my browsers, which would prevent me from further communicating with you about it's installation, unless I uninstall it again. Yes, if you could assist me, I'd appreciate it, thank you!!!