Web exclusions feature not working correctly?

When I used utorrent I just disabled the notifications whilst using it. The program (utorrent) worked 100% as expected with website protection. I'm not sure but I'd say Malwarebytes is blocking malicious websites that somehow would be accessed via utorrent, and if this is true than it's a good thing.

You can keep it enabled, download a small torrent file and see if the end result of it's MDSUM maches the original. If yes, you're OK, then the decision of baring with the popups is yours.

I stopped using utorrent because there were many network attacks related to it and Kaspersky was going nuts. I moved to KTorrent which is a well known Torrent program, it's FOSS (Free and Open-Source Software) and comes from a reliable organization. If you'd like to check it out:

http://windows.kde.org/download.php

Hi:

Welcome.

I purchased today premium version, and got a lot of popups because of bitcoment, maybe is that because of many downloads, I do not know.

IP blocks can occur when running Skype and certain P2P programs, such as torrents. For example, please see this help desk topic about Skype and this one about P2P

If you want to safely add the process to the web exclusions, here's how:

Clicking the Add Process button allows you to exclude a process which would otherwise be blocked from accessing an internet address. Please note that this option is only functional on Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.x. This is typically of value to users who need to access filesharing and/or peer-to-peer applications. On occasion, IP addresses used by these applications may be blacklisted, so that Malwarebytes Website Protection blocks access to the website as a whole. Excluding the IP address makes the user more vulnerable, as would exclusion of the domain (if the website uses a domain name). Excluding the process — providing that the process is not an internet browser — would allow the P2P application to function without increasing risk.  http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/

If you are still having problems with this, please start a NEW, separate post, so that the experts can provide customized, one-on-one help.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Unfortunately adding utorrent.exe to web exclusions didn't stop the popups. I believe this must be a bug in MalwareBytes.

But I think I solved it anyway by disabling notifications in general settings.

I believe you have to add the IP addresses identified in the pop-up notifications to exclusions to avoid the popups.   Then again by doing that you are allowing access to ports that may put your computer at risk.   Best to just turn off the notifications like you did when you are using uTorrent. 

Blocking the IP addresses in your firewall software may elminate the pop-up since your computer's firewall will be blocking access to those ports. What I don't know is if this will block your uTorrent downloads

Hi:

The solution is to disable "malicious websites blocks" while you are using utorrent.exe  .

thanks!

@Questions:
No, actually that is not a safe solution.  :(
Turning off the malicious website protections while using P2P software is strongly discouraged, as it exposes the user's computer to potential infection.
That is why the web exclusions process was introduced with version 2 -- to allow users to SAFELY block malicious IPs, while still using their P2P.
The process to do so is here in the User Guide:

Clicking the Add Process button allows you to exclude a process which would otherwise be blocked from accessing an internet address. Please note that this option is only functional on Windows Vista Service Pack 2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.x. This is typically of value to users who need to access filesharing and/or peer-to-peer applications. On occasion, IP addresses used by these applications may be blacklisted, so that Malwarebytes Website Protection blocks access to the website as a whole. Excluding the IP address makes the user more vulnerable, as would exclusion of the domain (if the website uses a domain name). Excluding the process — providing that the process is not an internet browser — would allow the P2P application to function without increasing risk.

@ John.A:

If that is not working for you, then it might be a good idea to start some basic troubleshooting:

OTOH, if you are getting a lot of IP blocks when you are NOT using P2P, and/or when no browsers are open, that could be indicative of infection.
In that case, it might be advisable to have one of the malware experts assist with checking your system.  If so, please start here: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
A malware analyst will guide you through the scanning and cleanup process.

Thanks,

daledoc1

I fixed my problem, thx to this: (excludinf IP adresses doesn't work, because of dinamic IP's.

Clicking the Add Process button allows you to exclude a process which would otherwise be blocked from accessing an internet address...

ex.png

• 3 weeks later...

I fixed my problem, thx to this: (excludinf IP adresses doesn't work, because of dinamic IP's.

ex.png

This solution do not work for utorrent.exe. I have added it to web exclusions but still get popups. It must be a bug in MalwareBytes? I use version 2.0.2.1012. My only solution to is to either turn off malicious web sites protection or disable notifications. Please fix this bug!

have you tried rebooting after the addition of the exclusion?

because I have µTorrent running as well, and it is doing the same for me, but I have not yet rebooted after adding it as an exclusion.

I rebooted my computer, maybe it solved the problem. No notifications yet anyway.