Anne__Burns

Does The Hosts Program Need Regular Updates?

Since the etc/hosts file is just a plain ASCII file, I do not believe that the System Restore function caches and/or restores the etc/hosts file.

My suggestion is to just stop using it.   :o

I went back to message #24 and used the MVPS Hosts Updates link again and managed to update. How often do updates for that form of Hosts need to be made?

it is a good idea to keep your list/update as fresh as possible as nothing remains static .

(as al stewart wrote : the more it changes , the more it stays the same)

however ... it seems as if you have a problem when you modify/access/update the hosts file .

there is something that you are missing or doing in the process that is fouling things up .

as was mentioned , the/a hosts file is a "drop-it-in-here" item ... no "installation" or special hoop-jumping is required .

i had an accountant friend/client that was an absolute wizard o' finance and could run numbers , spreadsheets (etc) , all day long ...

i often marveled how he could add a column of figures in his head and figure compound interest in the same manner .

but when it came to actually installing a program or chunk of hardware (say a printer) , he did not "see" in his mind the steps required and why .

we all have things we do well ... i can repair a cash register but cannot run one ... i get confused .

is there another program that more or less automates the procedure that you would be willing to try ?

I went back to message #24 and used the MVPS Hosts Updates link again and managed to update. How often do updates for that form of Hosts need to be made?

MVPs Hosts updates about every 4-5 weeks.

How to check for updates: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/updates.htm

Windows 7 detailed instructions for updating it with the batch file: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin7.htm

Hello,

@ message #24 of this thread I figured out how to update my MVP Host file. I also signed up to get e-mails to alert me to updates for my file. 

Anne

That's great... just a side note... don't get too comfortable using the system restore feature.... its there for emergencies, but it does not always work... sometimes doing a system restore can break other things...

Hello Firefox,

No doubt you are probably correct. I'm not going to press dumb luck too far. Duly noted kind sir. :D

Btw, Thanks for the links South_Park!!! ;)

Anne

good deal that you got it sorted out ...

every time you update the file , you'll be "embedding the steps" a little bit more .

Hello CWB,

Live and learn, right? I try to never make the same mistake twice because I am too busy making new ones.

Anne :D

yeah ... that is pretty much the way it goes .

it's like hammering nails ... when you stop hitting your thumb you're not going fast enough .

I don't know about the hammer and nail metaphor regarding speed and productivity. I would rather take things fast enough to gain without the pain. :P

as someone much wiser than myself said to me years ago ...

"one should always strive to learn"

Every day.

as someone much wiser than myself said to me years ago ...

"one should always strive to learn"

Every day.

True that.