Does The Hosts Program Need Regular Updates?

it is a good idea to keep your list/update as fresh as possible as nothing remains static .

(as al stewart wrote : the more it changes , the more it stays the same)

however ... it seems as if you have a problem when you modify/access/update the hosts file .

there is something that you are missing or doing in the process that is fouling things up .

as was mentioned , the/a hosts file is a "drop-it-in-here" item ... no "installation" or special hoop-jumping is required .

i had an accountant friend/client that was an absolute wizard o' finance and could run numbers , spreadsheets (etc) , all day long ...

i often marveled how he could add a column of figures in his head and figure compound interest in the same manner .

but when it came to actually installing a program or chunk of hardware (say a printer) , he did not "see" in his mind the steps required and why .

we all have things we do well ... i can repair a cash register but cannot run one ... i get confused .

is there another program that more or less automates the procedure that you would be willing to try ?

I went back to message #24 and used the MVPS Hosts Updates link again and managed to update. How often do updates for that form of Hosts need to be made?

MVPs Hosts updates about every 4-5 weeks.

How to check for updates: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/updates.htm

Windows 7 detailed instructions for updating it with the batch file: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostswin7.htm