Anne__Burns

Does The Hosts Program Need Regular Updates?

Hello,

I was wondering, does the Host program have to be updated on a regular basis? Then if so, how often?

Anne

That's entirely up to you.  If using it as a spam and advertisement prevention tool then yes as new ones are added you would/should update your copy.

Okay, Would you please tell me a good website to go to get those updates? How often do folks generally update?

You might want to leave well enough alone until you understand it better.  You had quite a time getting the current one into place and editing out the website to allow you access.

It is probably a good idea that I learn more about the Hosts program in general before making changes to it. Can you give me any recommendations as to a good website that offers Hosts support? Eventually, I would like to do regular updates to my Hosts file.

The first thing to realize is that the edtc/hosts is just a file and it is not a "program".  A program is a standalone or collection of executable files that perform a function or process.

The etc/hosts is just a table.  It is nothing but a list to be interpreted by what is called the TCP/IP Stack.

The etc/hosts file is NOT required.  It was a construct for name resolution when a Domain Name Server (DNS) was not present.  The TCP/IP protocol family has become the defacto Internet and Intranet standard and thus DNS servers exist for all aspects of the Internet.  In recent years Mike Burgess and Steven Burn have created a publicly available etc/hosts file that is used not for name resolution but for name poisoning.  That is the etc/hosts file (Steven's HpHosts or Mike Burgess' MVP Hosts) is used to negate name resolution.  That means when one uses these etc/hosts files one wants to NOT resolve a Domain Name to an internet IP address but to poison the resolution by pointing back to one's own computer.  This is mainly used to block PITA ads and some forms of malicious Internet activity.  When one does not want to get ads from the Internet site AnnoyingAds.Com that Domain Name is added to the etc/hosts file and any time a Browser attempts to go to the site AnnoyingAds.Com they don't and thus they don't get those annoying advertisements.

Hello David,

Thanks for the tutorial on Host file. Are all computers sold with the file in place? If not, how is it added? Btw, what are PITA ads? Neither Google or Wikipedia recognizes the term. 

Anne

Are all computers sold with the file in place?

Yes and no.

Yes, because the file physically exists.

No, because it's basically a boiler plate, empty file.

Again... "The etc/hosts file is NOT required."

If not, how is it added?

By dropping an edited version in...

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

or by manually editing the file...

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_File_System

@ Post #9,

Is the zero version something I can use on my desktop and laptop as opposed to the 127dot version?

Anne

You can user either one it really does not matter all that much.  The one you have is MUCH larger and has many more entries than the one on #9

I've used a custom hosts file for years, in lieu of an adblocker. The one I use is the MVPS hosts file, which does get updated from time to time. Plus, it can be placed in the correct folder (and the old one renamed and not deleted) with an included batch file, which automates the process.

David has already explained the distinction between a file and a program; a batch file, however, is a small text file file which carries out a set of instructions. It is however, not a program. It can also be referred to as a script, as it carries out pre-written instructions to complete a purpose.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

Actuality I seem to have the MVP Hosts file already (see attached). I was having trouble downloading anything and had to do a system restore which sent me to an earlier version of the Hosts on my machine. Does the current version of my Hosts update itself?

Anne

post-147861-0-51552000-1399664702_thumb.

it will not update itself.  You have to update it, or else use a program or script to update it.

Hello John,

Okay, How often should I update it and how do I do it?

Anne

And, as Ron mentioned before previously, make sure that when you do all your customizations will be gone and you'll need to reconfigure them in the hosts file.

If you're using a stock hosts file with no modifications, then you're good to go.  However, if you make changes, those changes will more than likely be reverted every time you update.

Okay, where do I go to check for updates?

Same place you originally got it from.

MysteryFCM confirmed to me that HPHosts, which he helps maintain, not only is updated regularly but also that there is a program to help keep you updated, if that is the hosts list that you are using.

Hello John,

Thanks for telling me about hpHosts. I will read tutorials and ask questions. There is a whole lot to learn there.

Anne

Hello,

Help! In the process of downloading Host MVP updates I lost full function of Hosts. What to do? I think I went above my pay grade as Daledoc1 puts it. I confess to getting a bit confused with the update directions.

I am on my HP laptop, Windows 7, 64 bit, IE11

Anne

Hi Anne,

Which custom hosts file are you using? HPHosts or the MVPS hosts file which I posted previously? From the screenshot you attached before, it looked like you were using the latter. If that's the case, then what I do is just visit their website occasionally, and see if it has been updated. So, it's manual insofar as you have to visit the website and download the hosts.zip file each time you wish to update your hosts file in this manner.

However, as John previously said, HPHosts has an auto-update program. I don't use this one myself, so I can't comment specifically, but what issue are you having with updating?

Hello,

I had to do a system restore not just to restore Host MVP but because I lost some functions in my web pages such as minimize, open, and close at the top and the status bar with the start globe at the bottom. 

I have been looking at the different links to update Host MVP but they are somewhat confusing to me because the screen shots showing the steps to take do not match what I get on my machine.

Can someone give me a clearer (for me) way to ensure I have the latest Host MVP updates (for my laptop and desktop) without screwing anything up in the process?

Anne