Tried upgrading to MBAM 2, eventual fail, "System Error"

MBAM (Pro) had been nagging me to upgrade to v2 for some days, finally I decided to try (a fresh install) of it on my XP machine, first.  Everything seemed to go correctly, I even enabled the self-protection module, and my license key was accepted and it's still all fine.

Then I decided it's probably safe to upgrade to v2 on my Win7 32-bit machine: no.

I let it perform the update it kept giving me pop-ups about, upon starting the program etc., instead of trying to uninstall it first or anything.

Everything looked fine at first, it even survived a reboot and preserved my pro license for the box, but then after enabling the self-protection service thing and rebooting another 1 or 2 times, it wouldn't start.

When I try to start MBAM -or- the 2.0.1.1004 installer, I get this error window jazz:

mbam.exe - System Error

The program can't start because
API-MS-WIN-Service-Core-L1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

well, the installer causes that error now, I think my PC may be acting funny in other ways since this happened as well but MBAM is the only thing .

I wonder if there's some way for this to work as intended, for me, Is this a known problem?  Should I try to uninstall, then install v1.7 again and just un-check the program updates?  Is there some way to manually de-select the self-protection service thing, if I assume that's the problem?

Thanks in advance

Hello and :welcome:

Thank You

I wonder what the name is for the self-protection service.  It would be nice if I could disable it without being able to start the program.  After reading that FAQ page I suspect that the "self protection" is a big part of the problem, and I wish I'd had the option of turning it off before everything went bad.

I wonder if I have to have some other service enabled for this to work which I currently have disabled, like Application Layer Gateway Service or Application Management.  I usually disable a lot of services that don't seem to matter very often.

I tried to run the cleaner utility to remove everything and then tried to install the 2.0.2 beta but nothing seems to have changed; I still get the same error message.  I noticed the program files are still there, though it's not listed in programs to uninstall.

When I first ran the mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe I got this error:

Application Error:

Exception Exception in module unins000.exe at 00055E61.
CoInitialize failed (0x8007000E)

Then I rebooted and tried it again, right-clicking and choosing to run as Administrator just in case it didn't previously escalate, and got:

unins000.exe - System Error

API-MS-WIN-Service-Core-L1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Then I got that error again when I tried to run unins000.exe from the program folder directly.  Then I got it again, but with a different title when I tried to run mbam-setup-consumer-2.0.2.1007.exe

Note: it did prompt me to reboot both times that I ran the mbam-clean utility, though the error windows were there too.

Thanks for the ideas and links, guys