Treat detections as malware

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Britton30.

Welcome.

What exactly does "treat detections as malware" mean?

The wording has changed a bit from version 1.x.  PUPs/PUMs/P2P had 3 options under that version:
"Do not show in results list" -- this is now "Ignore Detections" in version 2.
"Show in results list and check for removal" -- this is now "Treat detections as malware" in version 2.
"Show in results list and do not check for removal" -- this is now "Warn user about detections" in version 2.

More detail fom the version 2 User Guide:

Non-Malware Protection
In addition to malicious software detection and elimination, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware also detects and acts upon two classes of non-malware. These are Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP's) and Potentially Unwanted Modifications (PUM's). In many cases, PUP's appear in the form of toolbars and other application software which are installed on your computer as part of a bundle. You may have asked for one application, and it came with a second application that was not mentioned, -or- was mentioned, but you did not uncheck the checkbox next to it to prevent it from being installed at the same time. You may also want and use the PUP. We do not judge the merit of the program or its usability. We do offer a method of removing it if you choose to.
PUM's are a bit different. These are modifications that are typically related to the Windows registry. As a user, you will generally not be making changes to the registry that would qualify as a PUM — though the possibility does exist. Because it does, we allow you to define your own rules when it comes to how they are treated.
With regard to both types of modifications, we provide three handling methods within Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. These are:

• Ignore Detections: Malwarebytes will not act on detection, nor will you be alerted.
  • Warn user about detections: You will be alerted to the detection, and you may choose to ignore it, create an exclusion, or treat it as malware.
  • Treat detections as malware: The detection will be treated as malware, and corrective actions will occur.
While PUP's and PUM's are both handled in the same manner, each is handled according to separate guidelines which you specify.

As for this:

Why can't I paste into a post?

I'm not sure, but I suspect it might have something to do with one of your browser settings?

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

5alive what I am talking about is in the drop down menus in scan settings.

When I clicked to quote Dales message nothing happened except a reply box opened, empty. I highlighted some of his text, select "Copy", right click in the reply box, click "Paste", nothing happens. This is the only site on the web where I have encountered this.

Hi, @Britton30:

Did my previous reply answer your question about the drop down menu selections for PUPs and PUMs?

(BTW I agree that the older wording under version 1.x was clearer....)

As for the forum copy/paste issues, I think it might be a browser setting issue?

I am using Fx 28, but I seem to recall that some users running IE11 have experienced a similar problem.

Alas I can't find the relevant posts, one of which had a workaround/solution.

Cheers,

daledoc1

Yes Dale you answered my question. I wanted to make sure MBAM had not removed the choice for me to decide what is to be removed. It had flagged a WinPE program, Hiren's Boot CD, and other good program as malware in the past.

Yeah, I am using IE 11 as my only browser, but I have PaleMoon and Opera, I'll have a look there.

This can be marked Solved, I don't see a link for me to do that.

Hi, @Britton30:

Did my previous reply answer your question about the drop down menu selections for PUPs and PUMs?

(BTW I agree that the older wording under version 1.x was clearer....)

As for the forum copy/paste issues, I think it might be a browser setting issue?

I am using Fx 28, but I seem to recall that some users running IE11 have experienced a similar problem.

Alas I can't find the relevant posts, one of which had a workaround/solution.

Cheers,

daledoc1

Opera test, quote and paste both work.

Yes Dale you answered my question. I wanted to make sure MBAM had not removed the choice for me to decide what is to be removed. It had flagged a WinPE program, Hiren's Boot CD, and other good program as malware in the past.

Yeah, I am using IE 11 as my only browser, but I have PaleMoon and Opera, I'll have a look there.

PaleMoon test, all works from it as well. Both are Firefox based.

It would be nice to find a setting in IE to correct ti though, since I have no isseus elsewhere.

Oh, thanks for the warm welcome and your help.

Very good!

Thanks for the followup.

Perhaps @Firefox ("no relation" to the browser <LOL>), AdvancedSetup or someone else more knowledgeable will spot this and post the solution for the copy/paste thing.

Coulda' sworn these *is*/*was* a workaround or settings tweak.

I don't use IE myself, sorry.

Having said that, the forum software here can be a bit glitchy/twitchy.

See ya (over at SF.com, no doubt),

daledoc1 ;)

Not sure what's up ?

Safe mode with networking,

Shut down your machine, Unplug-Hold the power button down for 30/45 seconds (Power Drain)

Power up and Tap the F8 key continuously until you see a black page with white text,

Use the down arrow key to toggle to safe mode with networking/ hit the enter key.

Login as usual

Other advanced methods

wwwsevenforums/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode