Installer detected as Malware?

SpaceMonkey1

I ran the updated version of mbam and came up with a detection of possible malware located in the C: drive Windows files. it read Malware.Generic, C:\Windows\Installer\b6ea22c.msi, Quarantined, [04fcb34dc43ca957a4f36be558a8c33d] but now explorer is crashing a lot since it has been quarantined and so I am curious if this is a known piece of malware or a fp?  

mal2.txt

• Staff

Hi,

Please dequarantine the file C:\Windows\Installer\b6ea22c.msi and zip and attach it to this thread, so we can analyse this closely.

In either way, having that file quarantined won't affect anything at all, since it's just an installer file. So your explorer crashes are caused by something else. This is why I suggest you start a new thread in this forum: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7 - so support can help you finding the cause why your explorer is crashing.

b6ea22c.zip

Thanks for responding and I hope I have attached the file right. I just saw that when I pressed choose files it took me to my documents and the Default remote desktop icon and file were there. Should I run a hijackthis report and have someone look at it? The PC has gotten worse so I am thinking a more in depth look as you suggested is sounding like a good idea :) Thanks and I will run one just in case unless there is a better scanner to use for checking the entire PC?

Josh

Great to hear it's not harmful and can be deleted. I will get that done and then possibly get any real issues taken care of if they exist which I believe do after I read the link provided. Thanks again for the much appreciated help and fast responses.

Josh