Malwarebytes V2.0.1.1004 Hanging system at prescan

Since it upgraded to the latest version I am unable to scan without the system hanging.

If I leave it alone in what appears to be a hung state for 15 or so minutes it starts scanning and completes.

While it is hung the system is completely locked out.

The timer in the prescan is progressing incredibly slowly, each second of reported elapsed time is several minutes of real time.

Eventually the scan progresses normally. This is ok for a full system scan once a day or week, but when I want to scan a single file its unusable.

I ran Chkdsk and it reported several indexes corrupt and said it fixed them.

I also uninstalled and re-installed MWB.

Still the problem persists.

Also, worryingly, when the full system scan completes it says no threats found but Superantimalware finds tracking cookies.

I am running Windows XP SP3.

I have the "Premium" version of MWB and am a paying customer.

As I said this only started happening when MWB upgraded.

Please advise me of any simple diagnosis I can undertake to resolve this issue. Last time I had a problem I spent a couple of weeks running your diagnotic tools, completely buggering my system in the process, and in the end it turned out there was no problem, it was MWB reporting attempts to access servers for Quake.

Thank you

Hello and Welcome.

Sorry your having issues with your scanning. The new version can take a bit longer to scan due to new features and more files being scanned. Also you may try disabling the rootkit feature and archive scanning see if it improves.

Also full scans (Custom Scans) are really not required to be run so often, a Threat Scan should be all you need.

As for Malwarebytes not detecting tracking cookies that Superantimalware finds, MBAM does not target cookies.

That being said, please try the steps below see if it fixes your issues.

Thank You

Ive done the MBAM clean removal, and that hasnt fixed the problem.

I really dont have time to do any more messing around try to fix the problem with this crappy product.

My problem has occured when I "upgraded" to the new version. I now cannot scan anything, and MLB hangs my entire system.

Guess I will have to remove MLB and get a different AV product.

Consider this an unhappy customer.

• Root Admin

If you really want to use MBAM 1.75 you can download it from the link below directly from us instead of from Filehippo.

Download MBAM 1.75 From Malwarebytes (mbam-setup-1.75.0.1300.exe)

Though I would suggest you allow us to assist you in finding out what the issue really is.  If you're using the latest beta and still having issues then there is a good possibility that something is wrong with your computer and we can probably help you fix at no cost aside from some time on your part.

Yes, I was exasperated! :)

Thank you for the 1.75 solution, but I cant see that will be a permanent solution as some time or other it wont be supported/updated. I was (rather badly) trying to make the point that the latest version *appears* to have caused me a problem.

I tried MBAM uninstalling and re-installing again (just in case), and it didn't resolve it.

I may try the latest Beta as you have advised, has to be worth a shot.

For now, I have disabled MBAM and installed Avast to ensure I have some AV and Malware protection while this issue with MBAM is locking up my PC.

Guess I will have to remove MLB and get a different AV product.

For now, I have disabled MBAM and installed Avast to ensure I have some AV and Malware protection while this issue with MBAM is locking up my PC.

Just to chime in an let you know that by no means is Malwarebytes a replacement for your antivirus program. Malwarebytes it supplement to your antivirus program. Its a second layer of defense. 

See this KB article here: Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace antivirus software?

Oh! I have been running MBAM for years in the belief it was a full AV solution. At least something good has come out of my recent problems. Though I now am asking myself why I paid for a program that is a "second layer of defense", I would prefer a first layer of defense.

I dl'd and installed the Beta version of MBAM, but same thing, as soon as I started it up it hung my PC.

Ive been running Avast and performed a full system scan, all it found was a virus in an ancient gif animator prog thats been on my PC for many years. Mind you, was surprised that MBAM never reported it.

Whatever, I think I am pretty much done with MBAM, if its not an AV solution and isnt working on my system then its not really worth the time and agro to try and get it fixed. Of course there may be some other problem with my PC causing the MBAM issue, but I havent had any other problems, and Avast seems to think my system is ok.

VERY dissapointed to find out MBAM isnt a full AV solution, I would never have bought it if I had known.

Certainly up to if you want to continue or not. It is a very good idea to have layered protection, most security experts recommend that. Malwarebytes is a second layer of defense and catches what your antivirus my miss. Your antivirus program is your first layer.

If you work with us we can find out what's causing the conflict you just simply need to provide some logs for review and who know we may solve other issues you were not aware of...

Simply provide the logs I mentioned in post #2 item #2 above so we can review them and sort it out.

It could be a conflict with your antivirus program... you can try adding exceptions as mentioned below as well... Since you are running XP here are the instructions for it...

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.