Malwarebytes scan error. Run-time error '13': Type mismatch

Whenever I start a scan, whether it would be a quick or full scan, Malwarebytes would come up with:

Run-time error '13':

Type mismatch

then it would just end the Malwarebytes process.

Unfortunately, I do not know what more information to give other then the Addition.txt. (My apologies)

Thank you for your time.

Addition.txt

Hello Jsklad,

Is the same error still happenning?  or has that been resolved ?

NOTE:  This systems has two (2) antivirus programs

avast! Free Antivirus
AVG 2013

Having more than one (single) antivirus installed will lead to conflicts and deadlocks.  Please pick one to keep and then Uninstall the other and then restart Windows fresh.

-And- tell me what you have done.

I'm still getting the same "Run-time error '13' and I've actually already removed AVG 2013 about 2 days ago since I looked and got the idea at a few other topics similar to mine.

It wouldn't uninstall so I had to use the AVG 2013 remover to get rid of it from my computer.

Addition.txt

Hello,

I do not need any further logs from Addition.txt

These next steps will help you to have a new fresh install of the Anti-Malware program, using our beta version 2.0.2.
I would suggest, a new clean install as follows:

Close all opened windows/apps so you will have a clear view to the desktop.

Download and SAVE mbam-clean utility from http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

then run mbam-clean.exe: Double click the "mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe" file to run the clean tool. It runs quickly.
This will remove the old install of the Anti-Malware.

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important.

And be absolutely sure your login account for Windows has administrator level rights !

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus
If you need how-to guidance, see => How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114351

Download and Save to the desktop from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/fqdib3bmo91eytiqwoyc
On the desktop, do a RIGHT click on mbam-setup-consumer.exe and select RUN as Administrator to start it. Allow it to proceed.
{ if your Windows is XP, just double-click on the exe and allow it to run.}

When all done, re-Enable the antivirus program.  Then do one more Windows restart to finalize everything.

It doesn't install properly.

I did inorder:

1. Downloaded and ran "mbam-clean-2.0.2.0"
  2. It asked me to restart so I did
  3. Disabled avast! for 10 minutes
  4. Saved and ran "mbam-setup-consumer.exe" with admin rights

When it opened, It said 

Setup was unable to create the directory

"C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware".

Error 5:Access is denied.

(malwarebytes error.png shows the picture for the error and malwarebytes error 2.png shows when I pressed okay)

After I pressed okay is just rolled back the changes made.

This was actually the problem that I sadly had before

Thanks for the help so far. I really appreciate it.

post-161824-0-65635300-1398663765_thumb.

post-161824-0-04232300-1398663814_thumb.

Hello,

First, a small point:   have Avast to be off for as much time as possible, the highest possible.

Second and most important, Is your login account to Windows one that has administrator-level rights ?

You cant be logged in with an account that has Limited rights.

Download DDS and save it to your desktop from here http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.com
or http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/dds.scr

Double click dds to run the tool.  

DDS will run in a command prompt window and will take 3 to 4 minutes or so.
Follow and answer the prompts as appropriate.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs: DDS.txt & Attach.txt
Save both reports to your desktop.
Please attach following logs in your next reply:  **DDS.txt**  +  **Attach.txt**

Hello,

Can you see about putting Advanced SystemCare 7 & Advanced SystemCare Ultimate so that they do not auto-start with Windows?

They may be interfering with the install run.

And related to that, please find out for me if they in any way have a "antivirus" component.

Your Adobe Reader and the Java runtimes are out of date and pose a security risk exposure.  Please make a note to at some time in near future, uninstall those and see about getting latest versions, if you still need those utilities.

If Avast if your main antivirus, can you also uninstall AVG Secure Search

Disable CD-ROM Emulation Software:
Please download the following tool to your desktop.
http://www.jpshortstuff.247fixes.com/Defogger.exe

◦RIGHT-click on **DeFogger** and select Run as Administrator  to run the tool.
◦The application window will appear
◦Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers.
◦Click Yes to continue
◦A 'Finished!' message will appear
◦Click OK
◦DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
◦IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.
◦Do not re-enable these drivers until otherwise instructed.

Let me know after that is done.

I think Advanced System Care has something to do with antiviruses because it too, can for malware.

For the AVG Secure Search, I can't find it on the uninstall list. It appears to be missing from my computer.

The Defogger doesn't ask me to restart my machine. When I click 'yes', it says 'Finished!' in pretty my 0.1 of a second. When I press 'OK' nothing seems to happen.

Thank you for your time and help.

Hello,

Download and SAVE mbam-clean utility from http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

then run mbam-clean.exe: Double click the "mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe" file to run the clean tool. It runs quickly.
This will remove the old install of the Anti-Malware.

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important.

And be absolutely sure your login account for Windows has administrator level rights !

If you need how-to guidance, see => How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Download and Save to the desktop from https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/fqdib3bmo91eytiqwoyc
On the desktop, do a RIGHT click on mbam-setup-consumer.exe and select RUN as Administrator to start it. Allow it to proceed.
{ if your Windows is XP, just double-click on the exe and allow it to run.}

When all done, re-Enable the antivirus program.  Then do one more Windows restart to finalize everything.

Tell me how it goes.  After the install/setup is in place, I'll want you to do a Threat scan.

On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
A Threat Scan will begin.

When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In most cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

Next:

Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
Click 'Copy to Clipboard'
Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.

When I try to download it again, it comes up with the same error:

How would I be able to check if I have administration rights on the account? and what would I do to change it?

Thanks for the help

P.S. Sorry for the late response but I have the OS Windows 8 

Hi,

Dont go changing your account.   Just only take a look.  Control Panel >>All Control Panel Items >> User accounts

It will show (right up front) a summary of your login-account.

The issue at this moment is that ( for a unknown reason) you dont have rights to access this folder "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware".

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here:

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe

save it to your desktop.

RIGHT-click on FRST64.exe   and select Run as Administrator to start it.   and allow to run.

When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

Press the Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please attach that log to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes a second log (Addition.txt).
Please attach that to your reply as well

Bumping this.

Still when I download this, it says

(Maybe this has something to do with Windows 8?)

Hello,

Apology for the delay in getting back to you.

NOTE: this pc has BitTorrent, which our forum policy asks you to disable or to uninstall while this is here and I am helping you.

Please disable.

Risks of File-Sharing Technology.

P2P file sharing: Know the risks

Forum policy on peer-to-peer-programs:

If you're using Peer 2 Peer software such as uTorrent or similar you must either fully uninstall it or completely disable it from running while being assisted here.
Failure to remove or disable such software will result in your topic being closed and no further assistance being provided.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=97700

Assuming the Windows 8 installation itself is not corrupted ---- my thinking and inclination is that Advanced System Care and or AVAST has a hand in all the problems.

Put the system into a clean boot state and then  afterwards to the last part below.

Part 1

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Part 2

Download and SAVE  mbam-clean utility from  http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

then run mbam-clean.exe:   Double click the "mbam-clean-2.0.2.0.exe" file to run the clean tool. It runs quickly.

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important

Next Download & SAVE  the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from
https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/gr0ei2zmcfkl34qkuslw

Run the mbam-setup.  IF your Windows is Vista / Windows 7 / 8, then do a Right-click on mbam-setup.exe and select Run as Administrator and allow to run.
Then after the setup has finished, on the Dashboard screen, press the **Update now** link.
Let me know if the update succeeds.
Let me know if you see the green bar with "Your system is fully protected".

When all done, turn back ON your antivirus program.

Hi,

Sorry about that. It completely slipped my mind. So would disabling BitTorrent from Task Manager(startup tab) be alright?

My windows 8, I think is legit because I bought it from a website that is used quite frequently and didn't show any signs of being fraud.

I still get the same error. 

(Can I reset my computer normally now?)

Thanks for the help you've given me

So what I did in order was:

1. Opened task manager and disabled BitTorrent on startup.
  2. I ended BitTorrent's process
  3. opened msconfig, clicked the 'services' tab, clicked 'Hide all Microsoft devices' and then 'disable all'
  4. Opened Task Manager and disabled all the enabled processes
  5. Clicked 'OK' on the msconfig and restarted
  6. When it finished restarting, I downloaded the 'mbam clean' version you presented to me and ran it
  7. Restarted the computer. When it came back up, I downloaded the malwarebytes version from the link and ran it as administrator

It still gave me the error when I did this. (I couldn't disable the Anti virus avast because it wasn't there. It was disabled at step 4 since it said I needed to do that for clean reboot)

Well, all the programs I usually have on aren't running at the moment so can I turn on those processes and boot up as I normally do? Because in the link you gave me it has 'How to reset the computer to start normally after a clean boot troubleshooting'. So I'm assuming that I would have to do that sometime.

Thanks for the help you've given me so far. I appreciate it.

Hello,

To show all files:

• Press and hold Windows-key & then press R key to get the RUN menu.
  • Type in
    explorer.exe
    and press Enter
  • When in Windows Explorer, press ALT-key then V key to get VIEW menu
  • Look at the top ribbon, right side. {the Show/Hide block}
  • Look at the line Hidden items. IF it has no checkmark, then Click the box one time so that it is checked.

You will need to turn off AVAST to the maximum possible, so that it does not interfere,   { Same too for Iobit System Care ! }

Click on the Avast ball. Then click on Additional Protections then on AutoSandbox then on Settings then uncheck Enable AutoSandbox. OK
Right click on the Avast Ball and select Avast! Shields Control and Disable Until Computer is Restarted

Lets see if there are (perhaps) some hidden rootkit here.

1. Restart your system, Windows, so that it is a fresh start.

2. Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit (MBAR) from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/ and save it to your desktop.  Direct link to the file:
http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbar

•Be sure to print out ( if possible) and follow the instructions provided on that same page.

•Doubleclick on the MBAR file you downloaded and approve the UAC prompt in Vista and newer operating systems.
•Click OK on the next screen, to allow the package to extract the contents of the file to its own folder, mbar.
•mbar.exe will launch automatically. On some systems, this may take a few extra seconds. Please be patient and wait for the program to open.
•After reading the Introduction, click Next if you agree.
•On the Update Database screen, click on the Update button.
•Once you see 'Success: Database was successfully updated' click on 'Next'.
•Click the Scan button.

With some infections, you may see two messages boxes.
  1.'Could not load protection driver'. Click 'OK'.
  2.'Could not load DDA driver'. Click 'Yes' to this message, to allow the driver to load after a restart. Allow the computer to restart. Continue with the rest of these instructions.

•If malware is found, do **NOT** press the Cleanup button when the scan completes. Click EXIT.
Then, please send the following logs as attachments to your reply. These logs are located in the mbar folder on your desktop where the tool extracted itself to.

mbar-log-2014-xx-xx(xx-xx-xx).txt (where xx-xx(xx-xx-xx) is the date and time of the scan)

+

system-log.txt

I would like to see both logs for review.

Hi,

The 'Hidden Items' was already ticked and

Click on the Avast ball. Then click on Additional Protections then on AutoSandbox then on Settings then uncheck Enable AutoSandbox. OK
Right click on the Avast Ball and select Avast! Shields Control and Disable Until Computer is Restarted

I can't find the Additional Protections in my AVAST!

The MBAR said that the cleanup was no required and during the MBAR Scan it did not restart or need to close.

I uploaded the .txt files as requested.

Thanks for the help

mbar-log-2014-05-14 (07-48-16).txt

system-log.txt

Hello,

So mbar did not flag a rootkit.   But it may be possible this has a well hidden infection OR a bad glitch in the operating system installation itself.

BTW, the MBAR did see a leftover of AVG2013 still around.

Looking back at this thread, you said something before

My windows 8, I think is legit because I bought it from a website that is used quite frequently and didn't show any signs of being fraud.

Where did you get Windows 8? what site?

As long as pre-existing malware is ruled out, if a system continues to have failed installs, the only cure is to wipe / erase the system and rebuild the operating system from scratch.

Now, I have a concern about the integrity of this operating system,

the fact that it has had more than 1 antivirus, plus has Iobit system care, which may well be a factor in all these issues of failed installs.

• Please download CKScanner from >>Here<<
  • Important: - Save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click CKScanner.exe & select Run as administrator to start.
  • then click Search For Files.
  • After a very short time, when the cursor hourglass disappears, click Save List To File.
  • A message box will verify the file saved. Please Run the program only once.
  • Copy/paste the contents of CKFiles.txt in your next reply.

Hi,

But the AVG2013 is no longer in my uninstall programs list. How would I get rid of it completely?

If memory serves me right, I got it from www.walmart.com(Though I'll have to note that the delivery took longer than the actual time it was supposed to reach us.)

I have downloaded MWB on this computer before though. It was only when the trial ran out, I uninstalled it and left it uninstalled for a couple of months. Now that I try and install it again it doesn't work.

Thanks for the help

ckfiles.txt

Hi,

When I run AVG Remover 2013 64 bit, I get the error:

"AVG Remover Utility has stopped working"

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.

Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is

available.

Then it stops running all together

Do I have to manually delete the files?

Thanks for the help