Laptop Unable To Start After Microsoft Updates

mygoose

I have an HP tx2520ea laptop running Vista.

I have used it only a few times for holidays.

I turned it on today and it was working and looking like new. It said it had 80 Microsoft updates to do, then that they had downloaded fine and needed to restart which I OK'd.

To my amazement it then said it was unable to re-start and was doing an automatic start repair which I had never heard of and then after going round for ages and ages that it could not do the repair.  Every time I turn it on it does the same.

Can anyone help me with what to do please?

mygoose

Hello mygoose:

Do you have a separate full system back-up taken before the update?

Have you tried using a System Restore Point (SRP) from just before the update?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/turn-back-time-on-your-pc-undo-system-changes-with-system-restore

Please let us know how it goes. Good luck. :)

Thanks.

I do not have any backups.

I did try a System Restore Point. It said there were none before the updates. Strangely it said there were two Restore points for the updates. I did not know what to do so took the earlier one.  It said it had done that successfully and restarted but then I got the automatic repair routine going round and round.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

No I don't have them.  This was the time when HP did not send them and the user had to make their own from the PC which allowed only one copy to be made.

It is remiss of me not to have made them for the laptops as I rarely use them and have not got around to it.

mygoose

Hello mygoose:

I suppose it becomes a question of whether you want to put additional expense towards system repair.

HP might still have all the media you need to make a repair install.  $30 to $40USD is my guess.

Perhaps installing a small Linux version in your hard disk drive (HDD) free space. Then the Linux system might be able mount the damaged partition to enable recovery any personal files you might have. Still, you are then left with a usable Linux system to browse and do email, etc.

Thanks for your reply and help.

I think the Linux you suggest is a bit beyond me.

Anyway, I do want to reinstate it as it is.

When I told HP originally that I thought their idea not supplying the disks was not a good one they said it did not matter as all the drivers and everything that was needed is on their website anyway but i cannot manage that either.

Thanks again.

mygoose