Charlessyoungiii

PUP.Optional.Conduit.A in GOOGLE CHROME

If I use Google CHROME on my Dell Inspiron 17R runnning Win 8.1 the daily Malware AntiMalware scan reports on two "PUP.Optional.Conduit.A" instances:

"

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 4/21/2014
Scan Time: 9:13:56 AM
Logfile: 
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.1.1004
Malware Database: v2014.04.21.03
Rootkit Database: v2014.03.27.01
License: Premium
Malware Protection: Enabled
Malicious Website Protection: Enabled
Chameleon: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: chuck3

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 307489
Time Elapsed: 5 hr, 11 min, 55 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Shuriken: Enabled
PUP: Warn
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 2
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Users\chuck3\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences, Good: (), Bad: (   "homepage": "http://search.conduit.com/?gd=&ctid=CT3321972&octid=EB_ORIGINAL_CTID&ISID=ISID_ID&SearchSource=55&CUI=&UM=5&UP=SP7F6038CF-2DE8-4DB4-A8BA-CBD031EBFB48&SSPV=",), Replaced,[a94ede4e42391125393b70e5788cd42c]
PUP.Optional.Conduit.A, C:\Users\chuck3\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences, Good: (), Bad: (      "startup_urls": [ "http://search.conduit.com/?gd=&ctid=CT3321972&octid=EB_ORIGINAL_CTID&ISID=ISID_ID&SearchSource=55&CUI=&UM=5&UP=SP7F6038CF-2DE8-4DB4-A8BA-CBD031EBFB48&SSPV=" ],), Replaced,[e017ef3d7a0166d0089efb5a39cbe61a]

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)
"
Are these real malware?  I realise that Conduit is known malware but if I have it, it must be hiding very well.  I quarantine them every time they show up, but if I use Google Chrome again they recur.  Does anyone know how I can clear these permanently?

I have stopped all references to Chrome in taskmanager / all users.  I can / have removed the two references to "conduit" in the preferences file and run Malwarebytes and there is no malware found and then if I run Chrome again the references to conduit in preferences return.  I used to run version 1.7 (?) and never found this problem but when my installation on WIN 8.1 was updated to Malwarebytes 2.0.1 it found this potential "PUP" and will remove it but Chrome keeps putting it back.  I just updated one of my WIN 7 machines and the same thing is happening there as well.

I would recommend having our malware removal forum take a look at the computer and see what may be putting these entries back.

If you are a paid customer you may also contact support and they will help you too.

Thanks for reporting.

This is REALLY easy to fix. If your signing in to your Google account on chrome, then you might have had malware or toolbars in the past and it stored startup pages, including conduit. If you click the menu button in chrome and go to settings. On the settings screen under On Startup, change the radio button to Open a specific page or set of pages and click the blue Set Pages link next to it. This will list all startup pages for chrome. Even if you don't use the setting, it's still sitting dormant in the Preferences file. If you click on the X at the right of each URL on the next window, it'll get rid of your Conduit problem.