I rebooted one of my W8.1.1 computers and Malwarebytes did not start.  I then clicked the icon and the GUI came up.  It said 'Protection Not Enabled'  or something like that.  I then clicked the 'Fix' button and nothing happend.  I looked at the version number on the main GUI and all it said was "Malwarebytes Premium" with no version number.  I can't remember if its said Anti-Malware after Malwarebyes.

I checked "Adavanced Settings" and saw a new line that said something like "Enable silent startup". The box was unchecked.  I did not check it.  I then checked MBAM Premium on my other three computers, two W8.1.1 and one W7-SP1 and they were working fine.  The version number said Malwarebyte Anti-Malware (Premium) 2.0.1.1004 was showing on the main GUI and the line in "Advanced Settings" saying "Enable Silent Startup" was not there.

I then uninstalled MBAM on the first computer mentioned above rebooted and retinstalled.  Everything is now fine.

I then ran a "Threat Scan" and a BD W8 Security "Quick Scan" and both came up clean.  Finally I ran MBAR and it did not find any rootkits.

Anyone have any idea what happened?  Thanks

No we really do not know what happened with out getting log files with the way the computer was when it was not working as expected. If you would have restarted a couple more times it probably would have come back to normal without a reinstall.

Either way, glad you got it working...

No we really do not know what happened with out getting log files with the way the computer was when it was not working as expected. If you would have restarted a couple more times it probably would have come back to normal without a reinstall.

Either way, glad you got it working...

Me too :)

If it happens again I will post and use the tools presented to generate the information you folks need to see what is going on.

What really puzzles me is where that extra line in Advanced Settings came from.   Did v2.0 in any reiteraton every have that line "Enable Siltent Startup" or something similar as I don't recall the exact wording?  As I recall it was right below the line "Enable Malicious Webstie Protection when Malwarebytes Anti-Malware starts"

No, not since I have been testing.

Thanks.

I guess for now it will remain a mystery.  However, I am not done checking the computer.   So we shall see.  

Maybe it is in a future release and somehow I got a download from MBAM that was a partial update to a future release.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, maybe next time you can get a screen shot....

I never thought about it at the time.  The timing was bad.  It was early in the morning or relatively early for me about 6:00 AM, when I was doing my daily morning check up of my network and lo and behond there was a friggin Windows update for 8.1.1.  Some small but critical update that required a download, install and reboot on all of my W8.1.1 computers.  Then one of my programs failed an update with the criptic message "Corrupt File".  Tried downloading the update and still got the message.  I had to reboot all four of my computers to fix the problem.  In addition I was dealing with some financial stuff that needed prompt attention.  Then I ran across this and all I could think of was trying to get MBAM working again and get on with my day.   Fortunately I got lucky and got it working.

Next time if a picture is appropriate, which I agree it was in this case, I will try and remember to grab one and upload it.   Then again hopefully things will continue to run smoothly and there won't be a next time. :)