Shrugged

Suggestions for 2.

I currently use MBAM 1.75 PRO. Big fan and much appreciate it.

I'm not crazy about the new GUI look but I could learn to live with it. And, I see you're responding to feedback already. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Two major(to me) features of MBAM 2 I can't live with:

1) In 1.75 I can choose to not be notified of a program update availability and to not download and install program update if available.

Please include this in 2.

2) From the manual :

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

•Automatically quarantine detected items: When unchecked, any threats detected will not be quarantined immediately. A notification will instead be presented, and you must choose how to respond. If you do not respond within forty (40) seconds, the threat will still be quarantined, but the possibility (however small) exists that the threat could have become active within that timeframe.

If I choose to not quarantine I want to have to take a positive action to quarantine. In effect the current schema does auto quarantine after forty seconds.

Concrete example : a household member with less experience than I is instructed  to contact me before taking action upon detection. If MBAM erroneously detected a critical OS file there wouldn't be enough time to make a better informed decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know these suggestions have been aired before, including by me in the wrong forum location, but :

Please include settings to allow more user control over the above items.

Thank you, and again, I appreciate MBAM's role to date in making my computing safer. :)

Hi, Shrugged:

#1: AFAIK, this feature will be restored in a later build of 2.x.  I, too, and several others, have asked for it to be returned. ;)

Advanced users want full control over program update checks and program update downloads.

We'll have to wait for staff for an ETA on that, though....

daledoc1

Thank you, daledoc1.

The more control for those who want it, the better. :-)

Has there been any indication that the two suggestions in my post #1 are being considered or, better still, will be included in a future build of 2.x?

Thank you.

I've become a better searcher with some shut eye. Please excuse my oversight.

From, AdvancedSetup (Root Admin) :

7. There is currently no way to disable automatic/silent PROGRAM update checks. The program will always check for program updates when it checks for database updates. An option to disable this program update check will be added to a future release.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146011

Which leaves my #2 suggestion from post #1, the inability to truly do not auto-quarantine. Will this also be addressed in a future release?

Thank you.

When scan finishes:

1. Provide a count of the number of infections detected

2. Allow the report to be sorted (like in 1.75). I found this helpful to sort by infection name.

I currently use MBAM 1.75 PRO. Big fan and much appreciate it.

I'm not crazy about the new GUI look but I could learn to live with it. And, I see you're responding to feedback already. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Two major(to me) features of MBAM 2 I can't live with:

1) In 1.75 I can choose to not be notified of a program update availability and to not download and install program update if available.

Please include this in 2.

2) From the manual :

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

If I choose to not quarantine I want to have to take a positive action to quarantine. In effect the current schema does auto quarantine after forty seconds.

Concrete example : a household member with less experience than I is instructed  to contact me before taking action upon detection. If MBAM erroneously detected a critical OS file there wouldn't be enough time to make a better informed decision.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know these suggestions have been aired before, including by me in the wrong forum location, but :

Please include settings to allow more user control over the above items.

Thank you, and again, I appreciate MBAM's role to date in making my computing safer. :)

Regarding 1., yes, we plan to add this in a future release. Regarding 2., it's unfortunately a necessity. If it didn't timeout, the system would freeze/lock up and become totally unresponsive. That's because what we must do in order to prevent an executable from running when it has been detected is halt the process that called it, which is the system's shell, AKA Windows Explorer. Because of this, after a certain amount of time having that process (explorer.exe) blocked/locked, the shell becomes unresponsive meaning you will no longer be able to click on anything, launch any programs or navigate to any folders, including your START menu so you'd be effectively locked out of your system and forced to do a hard/forced shutdown by holding down the power button. This was also true with version 1.75 by the way. If you leave that detection prompt/notification up without either clicking to quarantine or ignore the detection, the system will freeze and become totally unresponsive. After finding this out for ourselves after having it reported by several users and then replicating the issue in-house, we implemented the timeout in order to prevent it from happening.

When scan finishes:

1. Provide a count of the number of infections detected

2. Allow the report to be sorted (like in 1.75). I found this helpful to sort by infection name.

Yes, we intend to implement both of these in a future release.

Regarding 1., yes, we plan to add this in a future release. Regarding 2., it's unfortunately a necessity. If it didn't timeout, the system would freeze/lock up and become totally unresponsive. That's because what we must do in order to prevent an executable from running when it has been detected is halt the process that called it, which is the system's shell, AKA Windows Explorer. Because of this, after a certain amount of time having that process (explorer.exe) blocked/locked, the shell becomes unresponsive meaning you will no longer be able to click on anything, launch any programs or navigate to any folders, including your START menu so you'd be effectively locked out of your system and forced to do a hard/forced shutdown by holding down the power button. This was also true with version 1.75 by the way. If you leave that detection prompt/notification up without either clicking to quarantine or ignore the detection, the system will freeze and become totally unresponsive. After finding this out for ourselves after having it reported by several users and then replicating the issue in-house, we implemented the timeout in order to prevent it from happening.

The info regarding 1.75 and quarantine is new to me. It isn't referenced in the help file nor did I find it searching the Forum. Maybe I missed it. This will change my strategy in, 1.75, so thanks for your response.

If you accept PMs, exile360, I'll be sending you some thoughts in the near future regarding this issue.